FinS 32

Tackle reviewers and your buying

39 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I would be lost in the forest without reviewers

and I can judge how much of value one has

just by enormous experience of mine, online, which I share afterwards with others

dudes, there is a gem from okuma that just came here in the shops

it is made to compete with daiwa opus plus A reels

I think it will be better than those ( one reviewers reported flaw says that bail arm at those is made of cast iron and is prone to cracking ), otherwise very solid reels ( especially 3.4 : 1 gear ratio )

here are some specs ( but I am not sure if it will be sold in USA because it is made as big pit carp - euro reel

the model I prefer is size 80 ( 3.8 : 1 ratio )

CUSTOM BLACK

• 3 +1 stainless steel bearings
• Quick-Set anti-reverse roller bearing
• Machine cut anodizing alum spool
• Aluminum regular handle
• Hydro block system
• Even flow roller
• Worm shaft transmission system
• LCS line control spool
• Extra spool

ITEM NO MODEL DRAG POWER GEAR RATIO LINE CAPACITY WEIGHT
51232 CB-60 12kg 4.5:1 / 101.6cm      310m/0.35mm      570g
55790 CB-80 12kg 3.8:1 /107cm 430m 0.35mm 694g

and it costs 50 $

Edited by glos

I read reviews with interest, but I have to know how experienced an angler the reviewer is before I take it seriously.  Alan Hawk fishes a reel hard, but for a short time, as someone else noted. AFAIK he has no brand affiliation, which makes him all the more valuable.  Sudsy did the mother of all reviews on the Daiwa 300 baitcaster, using it hard for a year, and the time spent with the reel counts for a lot.  I knew he was an experienced angler before, but a year of hard use is a great test. Scoobydoo is trustworthy, he's my kind of nut. Our relocated brother Ditch Jigger had highly knowledgeable comments on reels, years ago, and so did Sergio (remember him?)  There are folks here who are highly knowledgeable but have a proprietary interest in the tackle, so while I read carefully, I need to hear opinions from people I otherwise know to trust before I get too interested.  Al Goldberg and Big Dave, or two others in Rod Building, are my touchstones for opinions on rods. 

5 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I read reviews with interest, but I have to know how experienced an angler the reviewer is before I take it seriously.  Alan Hawk fishes a reel hard, but for a short time, as someone else noted. AFAIK he has no brand affiliation, which makes him all the more valuable.  Sudsy did the mother of all reviews on the Daiwa 300 baitcaster, using it hard for a year, and the time spent with the reel counts for a lot.  I knew he was an experienced angler before, but a year of hard use is a great test. Scoobydoo is trustworthy, he's my kind of nut. Our relocated brother Ditch Jigger had highly knowledgeable comments on reels, years ago, and so did Sergio (remember him?)  There are folks here who are highly knowledgeable but have a proprietary interest in the tackle, so while I read carefully, I need to hear opinions from people I otherwise know to trust before I get too interested.  Al Goldberg and Big Dave, or two others in Rod Building, are my touchstones for opinions on rods. 

And don’t forget HPD (highplainsdrifter).

in my opinion one of the best sol posters of all time.

Yes he was, a fine evaluator of rods and rod blanks.  Our colleague in Florida, Markushook, is another one I trust.

There's nothin' to be amazed about. A review is nothing more than an opinion formed from observation. You can put one out there if you wanta. A.H., however,IS amazin', and shares his unparalleled knowledge to the betterment of us all. Just sayin'.

Posted (edited)

On 10/31/2017 at 9:06 PM, FinS 32 said:

To me, its impossible to deny that the internet has made a huge impact on the fishing world, specifically the fishing tackle world.

i wonder how much do reviewers have on your tackle buying decisions? Will you buy based on their word alone? How do you judge their credibility? What do you look for in a reviewer? 

I pay the most attention to the opinions of people who I know, just not know of. (Scooby would be a good example of this. the guy has a nasty anal OCD streak and it shows in his reviews.)

I put a large grain of salt on any review where the reviewer has a financial connection to the company. If they're "prostaff or an employee, it's just an advertisement.

The ones I pay the most attention to are the reviews by individuals whom I know have fished / used the item hard and put it away wet. They must show both the good with the bad. Nothing is 100% perfect so a review that doesn't point out any weaknesses is pretty much just another advertisement.

There was a famous quote, I believe from the industrialist Ross Perot, that summed up the way he looked at purchasing property and companies, it's relevant here...... "The prettiest girl has a wart somewhere. I want to know about the wart"

Edited by Sudsy

I pay more attention to people I know and trust than I do any review of anything.   I also consider the design and materials, not the marketing mumbo jumbo.  Often that isn't available, and by default, I shun those products.  Some of my friends either have more more money or are pickier than myself and are more willing to try new products than I am.  I am quite satisified with working products and don't seek newer technology by nature.  So by default I usually get to watch what happens with things before ever pulling a trigger.  Hell, I'm still using a 704.  Works just fine.  

But I like Alan Hawk....although I don't find him relevant to the fishing I do.  He still provides data and knowledge about reels I cannot find elsewhere.  So I consider that information when I decide.  But when looking for a strictly surfcasting reel, I use data I have from friends, plus information like this.  He has never reviewed a reel I actually use for surfcasting, for instance.

Scooby is solid.  No affiliation.  He tells you straight out what he uses and likes and why.  He draws comparisons to those things.  Solid advice, no BS.  Check his review on the 'gosa and compare with Hawk's review on the spheros.  Very cool and you'll get why they are a good option for budget reels.  Scooby likes really cutting edge stuff (when appropriate).  He's smart, it's not just technology for the sake of it.  But he is on the technology edge....$$

Tuttle:  Great reviews and breakdowns across brands, but appears at least to be affiliated with Penn.  He is at least a chearleader of the brand at a level hard to understand without having affiliation.  I fish Penns, almost solely, but I haven't had any love for any spinner for about 20 years.  To me many of those problems are engineering design issues, and I find zero explanation as to why it is okay.  I don't care about sales numbers or cabelas quotes.  The design is broken and parts will not be reliable.  

Rods:  I don't believe anybody.  There's too many variables.   I also still like slower rods and the trend isn't that direction.  Lower weights tend to dictate faster rods and more breakages.  Not that there is anything wrong with them, but people use them like they are 70's style glass.  There's a trade in weight/action/durability.  If you are willing to spend, you can get slower rods with the low weight, but I haven't gone that direction at all.  I am very happy with Lami GSB's and I still really like Glass Lami's in smaller lengths where the weight factor isn't a big an issue.  All I can say is find a good rod builder and try and make friends.  They know stuff.

You can catch fish with anything, though.  So don't worry so much.  You'll find your way and what you like over time.  We all did before the internet.

14 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I pay the most attention to the opinions of people who I know, just not know of. (Scooby would be a good example of this. the guy has a nasty anal OCD streak and it shows in his reviews.)

I put a large grain of salt on any review where the reviewer has a financial connection to the company. If they're "prostaff or an employee, it's just an advertisement.

The ones I pay the most attention to are the reviews by individuals whom I know have fished / used the item hard and put it away wet. They must show both the good with the bad. Nothing is 100% perfect so a review that doesn't point out any weaknesses is pretty much just another advertisement.

There was a famous quote, I believe from the industrialist Ross Perot, that summed up the way he looked at purchasing property and companies, it's relevant here...... "The prettiest girl has a wart somewhere. I want to know about the wart"

Listen Spudsy......Do not ever use my name......and nasty anal streak in the same sentence ever again.  Unless you feed me some of your hot nuts again........

Then it's kinda okay

I gotta find that pick of scotty lex's sausage next to your hot nuts....

((officially the weirdest post i've ever made on the interwebs.....))

2 hours ago, Yudi said:

I pay more attention to people I know and trust than I do any review of anything.   I also consider the design and materials, not the marketing mumbo jumbo.  Often that isn't available, and by default, I shun those products.  Some of my friends either have more more money or are pickier than myself and are more willing to try new products than I am.  I am quite satisified with working products and don't seek newer technology by nature.  So by default I usually get to watch what happens with things before ever pulling a trigger.  Hell, I'm still using a 704.  Works just fine.  

But I like Alan Hawk....although I don't find him relevant to the fishing I do.  He still provides data and knowledge about reels I cannot find elsewhere.  So I consider that information when I decide.  But when looking for a strictly surfcasting reel, I use data I have from friends, plus information like this.  He has never reviewed a reel I actually use for surfcasting, for instance.

Scooby is solid.  No affiliation.  He tells you straight out what he uses and likes and why.  He draws comparisons to those things.  Solid advice, no BS.  Check his review on the 'gosa and compare with Hawk's review on the spheros.  Very cool and you'll get why they are a good option for budget reels.  Scooby likes really cutting edge stuff (when appropriate).  He's smart, it's not just technology for the sake of it.  But he is on the technology edge....$$

Tuttle:  Great reviews and breakdowns across brands, but appears at least to be affiliated with Penn.  He is at least a chearleader of the brand at a level hard to understand without having affiliation.  I fish Penns, almost solely, but I haven't had any love for any spinner for about 20 years.  To me many of those problems are engineering design issues, and I find zero explanation as to why it is okay.  I don't care about sales numbers or cabelas quotes.  The design is broken and parts will not be reliable.  

Rods:  I don't believe anybody.  There's too many variables.   I also still like slower rods and the trend isn't that direction.  Lower weights tend to dictate faster rods and more breakages.  Not that there is anything wrong with them, but people use them like they are 70's style glass.  There's a trade in weight/action/durability.  If you are willing to spend, you can get slower rods with the low weight, but I haven't gone that direction at all.  I am very happy with Lami GSB's and I still really like Glass Lami's in smaller lengths where the weight factor isn't a big an issue.  All I can say is find a good rod builder and try and make friends.  They know stuff.

You can catch fish with anything, though.  So don't worry so much.  You'll find your way and what you like over time.  We all did before the internet.

Thanks Yudi.

I look at it like we're all on the same team.   I'm a pessimist when it comes to anything that is manufactured and sold.   So while I like to see new cool stuff....I also have been around long enough in a few other industries to know that new tech often means cost savings.  And adding more buzz words to a product usually mean they're compensating for something ;) 

The video reviews I've been putting out I try to avoid getting into metallurgy and stick to performance and comparing them to other products that have been out for awhile.  As I think it is more effective and appeals to a wider audience.  I started the youtube thing because posting pics and added them in coordination with the text took way too long with pics not orienting properly.    ((cool thing is.  I've inspired a bunch of other youtubers from all over the world to start doing some tear down and reviews.  And lots of folks have sent me reels just to review.  Gotta admit..it's a bit stressful at times....lol)))

I encourage reel techs who deal with the products daily to start doing it as well.  I'll even cut, render and publish the videos they shoot if they send me the footage.  Just to get their knowledge and perspective out there.  

I love Alans reviews.  I miss when he'd post them here and interact.  As I actually feel they were more effective.  There were many occasions I or someone else would see something he brought up briefly and when questioned.  It would give him an opportunity to expound further on it.   Then become part of the reference.   But at the same time.  I 100% understand that he earns revenue from people frequenting his site.   That gosa / spheros review was interesting.  He reached out to me before I bought the gosa to see if I wanted to do that and what size so we didn't step on each others toes.  As they take a serious amount of time.   I was pleased to see even though he and I have different styles and fished them differently and reviewed them from a different perspective of sorts.  How alligned they were.  One day I'll convince him to get on youtube.   He owes me a favor from awhile ago..maybe I can convince him to hit record instead of snap pics of reel parts on top of girly mags :)

JohnTuttle.   Believe it or not.  He, myself, and Hawk used to PM each other almost daily back in the day not just here but on other boards as well.  It was great.  We all learned from one another.

But something changed.   How someone who reviews and recommends fishing tackle can take offense when asked how many fish they caught on a reel they review and recommend doesn't make sense to me.  As it should be part of the review.   Or at least how many hours were put on the reel and what techniques were used.    Alan caught on to that as well, he approached it in a veiled way....I went about it openly.  Either way.  I like seeing what he puts out in his pictures.  A bit more transparency and sharing some first hand experiences would go a long way though.    His blood is probably going to boil for me typing this, or claim i'm throwing stones.    But I know it's not just me who thinks certain things are off.

And in regards to affiliations.  I've mentioned it before.  Any one who has done reviews on gear for long enough.  Gets discounts.  And more often than not it's on multiple brands sometimes direct or through distributors.  So it's hard to say if someone is affiliated with a brand or a wholesale distributor which in many cases are more involved with boots on the ground.  And affiliations are fine as long as there is no bias.  The person I order Daiwa  knows I'm a major pain in the ass with a big friggin mouth :)    I'll be submitting a big order on monday for a wide range of items.  Curious how a few of them will fare ;)

Those that are considered "pro staff"  are a bit different.  And I believe should state their relation in every post or in their sig.

Ther are some great, some good, and some only out for themselves shills.  Guys like Tuna North, Master Debaiter, and Rapidflo are very valuable sources of information and I put them in the great category. Actually....I think i'd put Rapidflo in the psycopath category :wave: .

What kills me are these OEM instabrand companies.  Leveraging teenage vloggers enticing them with free crap.  The amount of exposure the bull**** companies are getting with some of the younger generations is scary.  I brought this as sort of a warning with a gent at daiwa.  And it was sort of dismissed.  Now Kastking who says better value by cutting out the middle man is now selling at bps.  And now Favorite and Piscifun are trending on youtube and amazon.   It makes me sick that a brand like favorite can sell a reel that is lower in quality.  Offer fewer features.   And be 2x the price while being a clone of two others.  I recently bought a 70$ retail daiwa fuego rod off amazon for 22$.  Fished it side by side with the Favorite sick stick (retails for 130)  And the daiwa had better guides, was more sensitive, balanced the same.  Better reel seat, and not bad quality full cork rear grip.  And the Favorite brand didn't even quality check the text painted on the rod before they sold it.  As it literally can't be read without a flashlight.  And the tags said fuji guides.  When they use amtac SS.  

When these garbage shovelers start eating into the big 5's space.  In an already tought market.  I hope it doesn't mean the big dogs will start sacrificing quality.

I generally don’t pay too much attention to any reviews. They might attract me to a new product or one that I was previously unaware of but I will form my own opinion after I check the product out. At this point in my fishing career I know what I want and what will work for my needs. 

Opinions of friends that fish the same general way that I do - they are very helpful and useful.  

Never really paid much attention to reviewers. Scoobs is legit though, guy is as nuts as they come about fishing and knows his stuff. I'd be confident buying something he recommends

7 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

What kills me are these OEM instabrand companies.  Leveraging teenage vloggers enticing them with free crap.  The amount of exposure the bull**** companies are getting with some of the younger generations is scary.  I brought this as sort of a warning with a gent at daiwa.  And it was sort of dismissed.  Now Kastking who says better value by cutting out the middle man is now selling at bps.  And now Favorite and Piscifun are trending on youtube and amazon.   It makes me sick that a brand like favorite can sell a reel that is lower in quality.  Offer fewer features.   And be 2x the price while being a clone of two others.  I recently bought a 70$ retail daiwa fuego rod off amazon for 22$.  Fished it side by side with the Favorite sick stick (retails for 130)  And the daiwa had better guides, was more sensitive, balanced the same.  Better reel seat, and not bad quality full cork rear grip.  And the Favorite brand didn't even quality check the text painted on the rod before they sold it.  As it literally can't be read without a flashlight.  And the tags said fuji guides.  When they use amtac SS.  

When these garbage shovelers start eating into the big 5's space.  In an already tough market.  I hope it doesn't mean the big dogs will start sacrificing quality.

This exact thing happened before, back when Japan emerged as a cheap, throwaway manufacturing giant, just as China is today. 

The competition caused the major manufacturers to cut costs and lower quality, and very often effectively go under / get bought out. Dam Quick would be a prime example of this. They went from the top of the quality ladder to a reseller of rebadged lower end stuff.

There is alot of inexperience on YouTube, so it sickens me to watch some of the stuff. Reviews for the most part are a joke with the exception of guys like Scooby which are far and few between. We need more of them, and Scoob let Hawk know some of the Florida guys are making over $400,000 a year off this stuff I have been told. (Catchem and BlacktipH) I was green to SOL when Hawk still commented, but wish he still did. Can see how every tard objecting to you could sidetrack things though, but good conversation would be priceless.

I'm pretty in tune with the younger generation down here in Florida, and know many of the tubers. One common theme is that many can entertain but are lacking fishing skills and put internet fame before their fellow fishermen. Just recently had a buddy catch his first snook on shrimp and the very next day he was out filming a video. Moreso for entertainment, but still, you learned this yesterday? Knowing where most of the guys started and their true skillset, it peeves me to see googs like BlacktipH and others get notoriety over others much more skilled. Sad to see the industry and new generation forced into following suite to make a name for themselves because skillset and productivity don't get you anywhere unless you film and photo op it. It is counterproductive to true fishermen who understand spotburning and hold some intel sacred.

I'm trying to work on some reviews, solely from a fishermens perspective and relay my experiences good or bad. As scooby said, discounts do scew things a bit, and you can't burn bridges in the industry but there are ways to explain your experiences without being perceived as badmouthing. It would be great to have a team of guys that could torture test things, break them down, and relay the truth to the general public, and I am hoping to form something like that if I ever find time and resources. (pm me Scoob if you think this has any business merit) I myself have found it very hard to find time to get the reviews done alone myself with the hectic fishing schedule this time of year

Dennysnook, I meant to include you in my list of trusted commentators, but had a brain fart and couldn't think of your name.  Sorry about that .... hard use over time is the acid test of any bit of hardware, and you and Sudsy go to the top of the heap.  

Scooby IS nuts but I like him a lot.