boat ramps in NJ...how big of a PITA?

Rate this topic

hey sailor

1 hour ago, TazPagri said:

I'd love to take a look if you decide to share it, could PM me. 

Paying $25 bucks at my usual ramp got old fast. 

Taz, I'm going to try to clean up the map today and get back to you. I haven't updated many ramps in the past year or so. I've been piecing this together for about 4-5 years. I'll share the public link on here, if anyone else is interested. Otherwise I'll just send you a PM with the link.

There have been a few times where I went to check out a ramp (after only seeing it from Google Maps) and it didn't turn out how I had hoped. So, I would just pull up my map and find the next closest ramp. It also helps when you come across those unexpected $25 ramps and you want a cheaper option down the road or the next town over.

a lot of great points here & you really have to try it to really consider the pros & cons , I did both over the year . now i only her are a few :

Keeping your trailer in A-1 condition as you roll down the GSP or the Turnpike maintenance / safety is so important 

Getting to fish faster than a slip 50 -100  + miles away or another state to get on them 

Storage of your trailer / boat  when non use / winter 

did find on weekends ramps would be crowded on peak hours = on early off late is best 

good luck  

If it has fins i want to catch it 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2017 at 1:14 PM, Robby said:

I have created a custom map on Google to mark a majority of the ramps in all of Central/South Jersey, including some in PA. I may be willing to share it.

I made notes on a few of the ramps, if there was anything really worth noting. I try to stick with free ramps as much as possible. I think the guys charging $20-$25 can stick it. I'm comfortable with $10 or less.

I trailer a 20' walkaround and also a 14' deep V. Not too many ramps that I've had a problem at. What areas do you fish most often?

Well, this is my first saltwater boat. My plan is to first trailer anywhere between northern Ocean County and Shrewsbury River area. Got a Whaler Outrage 18, so I'll be going for bay sessions and hugging the beach on the right days.

Thanks for the reply.

4 hours ago, hey sailor said:

Well, this is my first saltwater boat. My plan is to first trailer anywhere between northern Ocean County and Shrewsbury River area. Got a Whaler Outrage 18, so I'll be going for bay sessions and hugging the beach on the right days.

Thanks for the reply.

You can do a lot more than just hug the beach with that boat. 

56 mins ago, makorider said:

You can do a lot more than just hug the beach with that boat. 

Yeah, I know, but I'm skurred. LOL. Gotta get my comfort level and sea legs under me for a month or two, then we'll see how I do. Per the previous owner, my boat was used for 40 mile offshore tuna outings up in New England. That's cajones.

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure you have a good chartplotter/GPS available, or buy the navionics app for your phone. Channel markers can sometimes be confusing when you first com across them so having some sort of guidance will help you stay off shoals or worse rocks. NJ is very forgiving with sandy bottom but should you decide to go up into NY and the Long island sound it's a whole different story.  

12 hours ago, dal929 said:

Make sure you have a good chartplotter/GPS available, or buy the navionics app for your phone. Channel markers can sometimes be confusing when you first com across them so having some sort of guidance will help you stay off shoals or worse rocks. NJ is very forgiving with sandy bottom but should you decide to go up into NY and the Long island sound it's a whole different story.  

Thanks. I got both (a Garmin GPS and Navionics on my iphone). I've been doing as much homework as possible during this crappy winter so I won't be a total knucklehead come April!