Any bird hunters?

Rate this topic

bob_G

Weather has been really warm.  Tough on dogs. I keep mine around water as much as possible so he's wet and hydrated.  F&W has been doing a great job stocking. We're finding birds spread out, and in some crazy places.  Recent rains were miserable for me to hunt in, but Charlie loved it. Rivers swollen  beyond capacity, and into the woods. However, the first serious woodcock flight began this week.  Birds must be real tired after long night time flights since they don't fly far after being flushed.   

The Sultan of Sluggo

Sometimes when I am tracking a deer in some nasty woods there is some sort of bird or pheasant that nests in the ground (usually a nest of leaves) and has a pattern in the back almost like a skeleton. I’ll be skulking through a thicket following a blood trail and the bird will take flight and scare the daylights out of me (especially at night). 

Anyone have an idea what they may be? This is in metro west Mass. 

I’m deep in google trying to find a picture. 

Edited by PlumFishing

I've had pheasant, but not quail. I can't see how there is much to them worth eating. Bro in-law says he chomps the bones. I feel that the smallest eggshell in scrambled eggs is off-putting. Are they really that good? Do you really eat the bones?

They are all good.....I hunted grouse for years in Maine.....Got to the point I sniped em on a logging road wid a 22 rather than use a shotgun....They would come out on a sunny afternoon to pick up gravel......Toughest part was telling the difference between a Partridge and a spruce grouse...... Sometimes I used my deer rifle and tried for a head shot.......good practice.......

1 hour ago, PlumFishing said:

Sometimes when I am tracking a deer in some nasty woods there is some sort of bird or pheasant that nests in the ground (usually a nest of leaves) and has a pattern in the back almost like a skeleton. I’ll be skulking through a thicket following a blood trail and the bird will take flight and scare the daylights out of me (especially at night). 

Anyone have an idea what they may be? This is in metro west Mass. 

I’m deep in google trying to find a picture. 

Probably a Ruffed Grouse, not many options actually.

1 hour ago, Plug and teaser said:

They have a habit of letting you walk right by them .....and then exploding out of the leaves right in back of you.

Always gets your attention.

Old farts generally call them " Partridge " :o

Tons of em in an area I used to hunt deer. Scare the bejesus out of you at 4am walking to your stand. I had to take about 5 minutes or so to get my heart back in it's normal position.