It's Hunting Season, Let's See Your Pictures

Rate this topic

Bass Ackwards

2 mins ago, hunter4623 said:

Here in NJ we can use snares and hunt them.  Of course we have to buy special permits, etc.  sub .25 cal centerfires during the day. Shotgun only at night. No lights.  I’m sure the new governor will stop the predator hunt along with the bear hunt that he promised to stop.

I can’t hunt deer with a rifle, but I could use a 460 weatherby mag on coyotes. I can’t hunt squirrels with a 22.  I don’t know who makes these laws 

"mother Theresa was a POS"-fish'nmagician

8 hours ago, jkrock said:

I hear them every night. They wake up the kids. We are lousy with them.  Cape Ann MA.  I have to think they are really tough on the deer in the spring while the fawns are vulnerable 

I read in the PA Game News, that a pair of coyotes, raising a litter, will take up to 23 fawns in a spring.  Sounds awful high, I don't know.

The biggest fish in the river gets that way by never being caught.

Edward Bloom

One of the beauties of Kentucky is that as long as it isn't firearms deer season, you can pretty much have an entire wildlife management area to yourself... even on a holiday weekend.  I got to the one that I prefer for squirrels and, yep, not a vehicle in the lot... nice.

Haven't been there in a year, so figured I'd go hit spot #1... nice area of oaks, a den tree, etc., and see if anybody was home or if they have been all shot out; the hillbillies have been squirrel hunting since the end of August and there are only so many squirrels.

Did my walk in up the two track dirt road.  Stopped at an old foundation wall and pulled on the down coveralls - so much more comfortable for the drive and walk to just wear the usual around the house stuff and then do coveralls, than go the whole long underwear routine.

Get off the two track, walk 30 yards into my spot and set up.  Turkey seat, tree for a back rest, downed branch to use as a foot rail.  Between that and the coveralls, I couldn't have been more comfortable in my living room.  It's 3 PM and the woods are almost silent... everything is wet from 4 days of rain... just a slight breeze through the bare tree limbs.  Big flock of sandhill cranes flew over... honking geese have nothing on sandhill cranes... but then, back to silence.  Sitting there watching and thinking about nothing at all.

Saw some movement off to the right... squirrel... then two more chasing behind.  I'm watching them but they stay on the ground... I don't shoot squirrels on the ground...if I wanted to shoot stuff on the ground, I'd be rabbit hunting.  They move off and don't come back.  

Grabbed the thermos (Yeti actually... 'cause I'm a man of means), took a couple slugs of coffee and checked the watch... 4:20 PM.  I see a squirrel zip up a tree about 20 yard to my left, but he was up and gone.  Little later I hear him or another one barking off in that direction.  Little more coffee. 15 minutes past sunset... of course with the heavy overcast, you'd never know there was a sun.  Start thinking that this is about it for the day and I am fine with it... I enjoy the experience as much - probably more - than the killing.  

Then, see one coming in again from the right... runs up a small tree and jumps onto a  main horizontal branch on my den tree... it's dark enough that seeing things on the ground or on a dark tree truck is getting more difficult... but he hits a point on the branch where he is clearly silhouetted.  Squeezed the trigger and saw that pretty orange muzzle flash that you see when afternoon is bumping up against dark... simultaneously see the squirrel fall to the forest floor.

Pic1.jpg.8e79f7db75ab0ed73c524fd35c1e55ba.jpgPic2.jpg.fcb9a9ae54abe057d2c71030fd0a660f.jpgPic3.jpg.af082493b1873b03533a15daa3654d2c.jpgPic4.jpg.be5b6ddb0fc2c1227f0f04ee03a9068d.jpgPic5.jpg.7bcb58df1692c408531f0e2859d6304f.jpgPic6.jpg.a721aec732aff96d44aaecf7b2648bbb.jpgPic7.jpg.6f4aafb101d89552297cc1ecf95c2e5a.jpgPic8.jpg.22b99ee73d6df30f2b494f7e46056b9e.jpg

Had a couple similar trips the other day....but I’m clearly not the writer you are.  Took out my Savage 24D 22mg/.410.  I prefer to stalk so it’s a bit more of a challenge.  Lots of standing and listening.  Then trying to sneak up on them while they’re rummaging in the leaves.  95% I get busted and end up shooting at them while they’re climbing the tree.  Great tune up for stalking deer.

D1E2684B-6057-44A7-A4DF-155DC9240103.jpeg

375D8A29-7EF2-4D5E-B3EE-28CEA467DA86.jpeg

They’re awesome guns. My barrels are regulated so it’s nice to be able to not think and just shoot without making corrections in my head.  I’m looking for a model 24VD which is .222/20 gauge. Awesome coyote setup for use here in NJ.  Awaiting some pics for one I checked out on Gunbroker.  If it looks good, I’m going to buy it.  The market on these has gotten crazy in the last couple years.  

On 12/17/2017 at 1:14 PM, jkrock said:

I can’t hunt deer with a rifle, but I could use a 460 weatherby mag on coyotes. I can’t hunt squirrels with a 22.  I don’t know who makes these laws 

On 12/17/2017 at 1:16 PM, hunter4623 said:

We live in states run by the same corrupt idiots

There are a few laws that really really rankle my hackles.   Not being able to hunt squirrel and rabbits with a .22 is at the top of the list.  I think that pains me more than the supressor law or CC laws.  \

I do think that there is a miniature (though somewhat meaningless) loophole in some of the NJ rifle laws.  You can 'hunt' groundhogs with .25 or greater only.  You can hunt yotes and fox with 25 caliber or smaller only.   I think, therefore, that you can hunt with a .25 cal rifle for all types of varmint.  I know, so what.  Dont think they meant to do this.  Or not.  I dont know.  I do know I bought a 257 AI barrel for my marlin for this reason.   

On 12/17/2017 at 9:08 PM, Riverboat33 said:

I read in the PA Game News, that a pair of coyotes, raising a litter, will take up to 23 fawns in a spring.  Sounds awful high, I don't know.

My college roomate did a study years back in SC or NC (dont recall maybe MD?) and the gist was that a deer per coyote family per week was approx correct for that area.  

2 hours ago, 55555s said:

There are a few laws that really really rankle my hackles.   Not being able to hunt squirrel and rabbits with a .22 is at the top of the list.  I think that pains me more than the supressor law or CC laws.  \

I do think that there is a miniature (though somewhat meaningless) loophole in some of the NJ rifle laws.  You can 'hunt' groundhogs with .25 or greater only.  You can hunt yotes and fox with 25 caliber or smaller only.   I think, therefore, that you can hunt with a .25 cal rifle for all types of varmint.  I know, so what.  Dont think they meant to do this.  Or not.  I dont know.  I do know I bought a 257 AI barrel for my marlin for this reason.   

I agree 100%. I’d love to squirrel hunt with a .22. Even if we had to use subsonic or target ammo.  It’s asinine that I can use a .25-06 on groundhogs and coyotes but can’t use a rimfire for small game.  Unfortunately it’s going to get worse under Murphy. 

17 hours ago, Slacker said:

One of the beauties of Kentucky is that as long as it isn't firearms deer season, you can pretty much have an entire wildlife management area to yourself... even on a holiday weekend.  I got to the one that I prefer for squirrels and, yep, not a vehicle in the lot... nice.

Haven't been there in a year, so figured I'd go hit spot #1... nice area of oaks, a den tree, etc., and see if anybody was home or if they have been all shot out; the hillbillies have been squirrel hunting since the end of August and there are only so many squirrels.

Did my walk in up the two track dirt road.  Stopped at an old foundation wall and pulled on the down coveralls - so much more comfortable for the drive and walk to just wear the usual around the house stuff and then do coveralls, than go the whole long underwear routine.

Get off the two track, walk 30 yards into my spot and set up.  Turkey seat, tree for a back rest, downed branch to use as a foot rail.  Between that and the coveralls, I couldn't have been more comfortable in my living room.  It's 3 PM and the woods are almost silent... everything is wet from 4 days of rain... just a slight breeze through the bare tree limbs.  Big flock of sandhill cranes flew over... honking geese have nothing on sandhill cranes... but then, back to silence.  Sitting there watching and thinking about nothing at all.

Saw some movement off to the right... squirrel... then two more chasing behind.  I'm watching them but they stay on the ground... I don't shoot squirrels on the ground...if I wanted to shoot stuff on the ground, I'd be rabbit hunting.  They move off and don't come back.  

Grabbed the thermos (Yeti actually... 'cause I'm a man of means), took a couple slugs of coffee and checked the watch... 4:20 PM.  I see a squirrel zip up a tree about 20 yard to my left, but he was up and gone.  Little later I hear him or another one barking off in that direction.  Little more coffee. 15 minutes past sunset... of course with the heavy overcast, you'd never know there was a sun.  Start thinking that this is about it for the day and I am fine with it... I enjoy the experience as much - probably more - than the killing.  

Then, see one coming in again from the right... runs up a small tree and jumps onto a  main horizontal branch on my den tree... it's dark enough that seeing things on the ground or on a dark tree truck is getting more difficult... but he hits a point on the branch where he is clearly silhouetted.  Squeezed the trigger and saw that pretty orange muzzle flash that you see when afternoon is bumping up against dark... simultaneously see the squirrel fall to the forest floor.

Pic1.jpg.8e79f7db75ab0ed73c524fd35c1e55ba.jpgPic2.jpg.fcb9a9ae54abe057d2c71030fd0a660f.jpgPic3.jpg.af082493b1873b03533a15daa3654d2c.jpgPic4.jpg.be5b6ddb0fc2c1227f0f04ee03a9068d.jpgPic5.jpg.7bcb58df1692c408531f0e2859d6304f.jpgPic6.jpg.a721aec732aff96d44aaecf7b2648bbb.jpgPic7.jpg.6f4aafb101d89552297cc1ecf95c2e5a.jpgPic8.jpg.22b99ee73d6df30f2b494f7e46056b9e.jpg

Hi Slacks.  Nice read and nice pix.  I could almost smell the damp woods even though its been awhile for me.

God bless and have a Merry Christmas.  

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:00 AM, 55555s said:

Your statement about ground hogs isn't quite right. You can hunt them with 25 cal or less AND 25 cal and larger. In any case the projectile can not exceede 80 grains. Also you can not hunt them on WMA's or any state owned ground. Page 58 in the years digest.