Split ring and swivel advice please

Rate this topic

Kent I

I've been using split rings of unknown origin and noticed that they didn't close up all the way after I opened them, and didn't think much about it until this morning when I lost the only fish that hit ( on a plug that would have been in the Sept plug swap if I'd finished on time) when the swivel and hook twisted off the split ring (canal rig). It wasn't a big fish, but it sure was a big disappointment. So I replaced the split ring with an Owner, which seems to work just fine, but now I'm a little paranoid about my swivels. I'm using Rosco swivels, is there something better? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same issue with what I believe are Rosco split rings with them being a little open--there's some space between the rings. Not much but quite noticeable. These are the 3H 65lb test split rings. But I haven't had any issues with hooks working themselves into these split rings, and defintely none coming off. 

12 hours ago, Fishy Fisher said:

So the split ring remained on the lure? Are you sure the swivel didn't break? What size was it? 

Yep...the ring was still attached and everything else was gone. If the swivel had failed I would have expected to find half of it on the ring, since the most likely place to fail is the joint. The ring was a 65#. I replaced it with a #6 Owner ring and that baby closed right up! The rest of the old rings are going directly into my scrap metal bin, as they are visually indistinguishable from the Owners. 

2 hours ago, Otshawytsha said:

I have the same issue with what I believe are Rosco split rings with them being a little open--there's some space between the rings. Not much but quite noticeable. These are the 3H 65lb test split rings. But I haven't had any issues with hooks working themselves into these split rings, and defintely none coming off. 

I expect it was possible because it was rigged Canal style...ring, then swivel, then cut hook. I'm sure the hook never would have come through the gap, but swivels have a much thinner wire.

5 hours ago, Kent I said:

Yep...the ring was still attached and everything else was gone. If the swivel had failed I would have expected to find half of it on the ring, since the most likely place to fail is the joint. The ring was a 65#. I replaced it with a #6 Owner ring and that baby closed right up! The rest of the old rings are going directly into my scrap metal bin, as they are visually indistinguishable from the Owners. 

Kent, the smallest split rings I'd ever put on a lure to be fished in the canal would be a 5 1/2H. I don't know what they are rated, sold them in the online store here for a long time. Never had one fail - never heard of anyone having one fail...I used to order them 150 gross at a time. If the 65# split rings you were using are the 3H size...those I used to put on the smallest surf fishing plugs like small crystal minnows...even the 5" Mambo minnows we used 4H split rings on.  

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:16 PM, TimS said:

Kent, the smallest split rings I'd ever put on a lure to be fished in the canal would be a 5 1/2H. I don't know what they are rated, sold them in the online store here for a long time. Never had one fail - never heard of anyone having one fail...I used to order them 150 gross at a time. If the 65# split rings you were using are the 3H size...those I used to put on the smallest surf fishing plugs like small crystal minnows...even the 5" Mambo minnows we used 4H split rings on.  

I have a bunch of these 5 1/2H split rings left in my stash. Never had one fail. Used them on trebles up to 4/0.

I am old but I'm slow.