sinfish

skagit head 720 grain

23 posts in this topic

I found a Sage blank at a flea market this past spring, factory decaled "graphite 1596 single-handed fly- distance".(I'm pretty certain it's an old blank,but have no idea how old.) I actually called Sage about it,hoping for a little insight, but was told it "didn't ring any bells" with anyone there. Anyhow, I extended the butt about a foot and built it into my fuzzy idea of a 10 1/2'  15-wght beach rod, driven by visions of 200' casts. I bought that same 720-gr. skagit head,not being able to find much else for a 15-wght.,spliced it to some 30-lb Berkley big game mono,and proceded to flail away.I am-truly-a duffer with a fly rod;self-taught and inexperienced.A 60-ft cast with a 5-wght. is as good as I get. And,sadly, I don't do much better with my Beach Bomber.I don't think the rod is over-lined;I think it's operator inability. I just won't really know 'till I get someone who knows what he's doin' to sort me out. That's my 720-gr. experience.  Unk.

2 hours ago, unclebunker said:

I found a Sage blank at a flea market this past spring, factory decaled "graphite 1596 single-handed fly- distance".(I'm pretty certain it's an old blank,but have no idea how old.) I actually called Sage about it,hoping for a little insight, but was told it "didn't ring any bells" with anyone there. Anyhow, I extended the butt about a foot and built it into my fuzzy idea of a 10 1/2'  15-wght beach rod, driven by visions of 200' casts. I bought that same 720-gr. skagit head,not being able to find much else for a 15-wght.,spliced it to some 30-lb Berkley big game mono,and proceded to flail away.I am-truly-a duffer with a fly rod;self-taught and inexperienced.A 60-ft cast with a 5-wght. is as good as I get. And,sadly, I don't do much better with my Beach Bomber.I don't think the rod is over-lined;I think it's operator inability. I just won't really know 'till I get someone who knows what he's doin' to sort me out. That's my 720-gr. experience.  Unk.

This honesty is as good as it gets.

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, unclebunker said:

unclebunker

I have worn a similar Tee Shirt. By doing what you did you found out stuff so it was not a waste..

Ok a 10’ 6 “ single hander in a 10wt would be very hard work for most of us. 

It is highly likely that the blank is unable  to support a load of 720 grains. With this set up it must have been difficult to make any kind of cast.

If distance from the beaches is what you are seeking then there are two ways to get there. One is a single hand 10 wt rod 9 feet long. The other is a surf fit Two handed rod.  You do not need 720 grains to get great distance or beat the wind. 530 to 600will get the  job done. You need way too much rod to over head cast 720 grains hard into a breeze.

Rod and line matching for a Two Hander  is very different from single hand rods and river Spey rods. It is not well understand by most guys at all because most guys do not fish Out Front with TH rods.

I am happy to explain this for you if you want to go the TH solution but it’s time consuming. If it is of real interest I can do by PM.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

Squish

Question. How far are you able to do this when conditions are against you.

I know that we can hugely overload a rod with side winds or in calm winds and make impressive looking casts, but with either a tail or head wind it is a very different story.

Mike

Posted (edited)

44 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Squish

Question. How far are you able to do this when conditions are against you.

I know that we can hugely overload a rod with side winds or in calm winds and make impressive looking casts, but with either a tail or head wind it is a very different story.

Mike

Mike,  a very good question.

When the wind is head-on and very strong, I find that a shorter two-hander is better. Tail and side winds are not a problem with the longer rod though I alter my casting stroke significantly.  Head-on requires a tighter stroke too, but the shorter rod proves to be the better choice.  That being said, I have only needed the shorter rod once this season when we got the tropical storm remnants along the national seashore a few weeks ago.  11 foot 560 grains.

Edited by Squish

Squish

That to is my experience of casting longer Spey rods when I first started my quest. The longer Spey rods tend to bend more deeply and are not great in a headwind or breeze. Shorter TH for same power will be inherently stiffer and so be better with such conditions. Yes agree to get a cast away against the wind does need a tighter stroke which should all else being equal give a smaller loop.

I do have a  14 foot TH that can cast OH  750 g but it still does not feel as good as 600 into a breeze. This rod would probably be considered by Speyguys to be a 15 wt. LOL.

Are we going to see you on the Cape this spring.

Mike

56 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Squish

That to is my experience of casting longer Spey rods when I first started my quest. The longer Spey rods tend to bend more deeply and are not great in a headwind or breeze. Shorter TH for same power will be inherently stiffer and so be better with such conditions. Yes agree to get a cast away against the wind does need a tighter stroke which should all else being equal give a smaller loop.

I do have a  14 foot TH that can cast OH  750 g but it still does not feel as good as 600 into a breeze. This rod would probably be considered by Speyguys to be a 15 wt. LOL.

Are we going to see you on the Cape this spring.

Mike

The rod I use can handle up to 800 but it handles best at 7-750.  I tried going lighter but it performed poorly.  The short rod is nice but I do love the feel of the longer rod far better. It has more 'soul'.

I am still fishing the Cape (outer Cape) and will be in the spring.  I fish in Maine all summer into the fall and wish I had known you were there.  Great group of guys up there with a different approach.