Cutting Lami GSB 120 1L

Rate this topic

Marky1

I built mine as a 10 footer. I built it with single foot K guides. It is one of the easiest casting rods I've ever fished. It is also the best fish fighting rod I've fished. It wouldn't be my go to for jigs or bucktailing, but it does it well enough. But for plugs and poppers, its a great rod. 

I've never cut one to make the "Skinner" rod, but plenty of people have. There are so many options for 9 foot rods though, I'm not sure why it is necessary unless you have already fished one that way, or built one that way and want to replicate that action/power. 

So after fishing one built as a 10 footer, I don't see a need to cut one and build it as a nine footer. If I were to build another one it would be built at the stock length. 

Edited by PhilCVG

On 10/20/2017 at 5:37 PM, Marky1 said:

Need some input regarding cutting back this blank ,.. pos./neg. responses . Thanks

Any cut back would determine the type of casting you plan?  Size plugs, eels, etc?

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:05 PM, Ejd63 said:

I use this rod cut to 9.  It is by far my favorite rod and is very dynamic.  I throw everything from as low as 3/4 BTs to 3-4 oz poppers.  Has alot of backbone as well to pull big fish.  Mine is paired with a VS150

I agree. The GSB 120 1L blank ( cut 10" or 12" off butt)  is by far my favorite custom rod. I have fished it for many years and prefer it to all else I have used. It suits my type of surf fishing and feels comfortable in my hands. I've used it with Van Staal  reels from the VS 150 , 200 ,250 and 275 plus the VR 150 and 200. My favorite set up is with the VS 200. This season I tried a new configuration of the GSB 120 IL custom rod. The blank was cut 3' off butt and tip making the rod 9 1/2' overall. I really liked this new rod but found it's action quite different than the Montauk Live Eel Special. It was a better caster overall distance wise  but was a bit more parabolic plus the added length was noticeable. I tried different VS and VR reels on the new stick and the VS 200 seemed the most comfortable to me.

4 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I agree. The GSB 120 1L blank ( cut 10" or 12" off butt)  is by far my favorite custom rod. I have fished it for many years and prefer it to all else I have used. It suits my type of surf fishing and feels comfortable in my hands. I've used it with Van Staal  reels from the VS 150 , 200 ,250 and 275 plus the VR 150 and 200. My favorite set up is with the VS 200. This season I tried a new configuration of the GSB 120 IL custom rod. The blank was cut 3' off butt and tip making the rod 9 1/2' overall. I really liked this new rod but found it's action quite different than the Montauk Live Eel Special. It was a better caster overall distance wise  but was a bit more parabolic plus the added length was noticeable. I tried different VS and VR reels on the new stick and the VS 200 seemed the most comfortable to me.

Couldn’t agree more. I can definitely see the 200 being the perfect fit. Unfortunately I’m lefty and it’s not an option for me lol. I bet the 9 1/2 version is great to like you said especially for getting alittle more distance 

Steve I did a few 1201L cut to an 11/64 tip  then final trim to 9'6". Everyone liked the action and versatility. Most used a VS150 . I did the last for a VS200.  It was a great match. I love this blank but as Mike mentioned cutting excessively from the butt makes it less powerful. My personal build is tip to size 11 tip, double foot RV 25, RV 16, KW10m, single.foot KT 8 OR KT 10 RUNNERS.  10 or 12 BMAG anti foul tip. The tip trim gives a little higher comfort leaning into a 3 +oz plug.