JRT

Rio Intouch 24ft Sink Tip or alternatives?

9 posts in this topic

I fish an area where you fish from rocks into water that's 10-16ft deep with quite a bit of current (up to 20ft tides!). I have tried my normal Type5 and Type7 lines but the intermediate running lines keep the fly so deep right up to rocks that it continually snags. So I'm thinking of either rigging my own sink head/floating running line setup or using freshwater type sinking lines like the Rio Intouch 24ft Sink Tip.

Does anyone have experience of this line - how it casts, does the running line coil, easy to mend etc?

JRT

Its a RIO. LOL

Ok not quite the answer to your question but heh it’s  the internet. We were faced with similar situation in Maine this Sep. The fast sink bit still pulls the floating running line down.

Our solution was full floater and we fished a very big fly to temp the Bass up. It worked reasonably well. It’s exciting seeing them charge up to grab your fly.

Are you talking Portland.

Mike.

How did you get on in Maine Mike?

I want a line I can mend over the waves. Floating line would be a waste of time here as you just can't get down to where the fish are. Its frustrating knowing that you are within casting range of fish but can't reach them. There's a few of these lines available - Orvis Hydros HD Depth Charge, Rio Intouch 24ft Sink Tip, SA Sonar Sink 25 Cold. I'm thinking that the floating section might help but maybe I'm wrong?

That is not super deep.  The question is what weight of rod do you own as that may dictate your line.

I would suggest a sinking line in the 300gr to 400gr which you will need a 9wt or 10wt rod.

I really like the Sci angler coastal express 350gr . ( i think it is called sonar sink 30 now?)

also the hatch 400gr line made by airflo is rally nice.

I have had tangle problems with rio in the past so i dont use

basically any lines in this gr window with a 8 inch to 12 in a second sink rate is good.  Weight your fly as well.

The Sci angler coastal express has an intermediate running line I think. I use the Airflo CSW 40+ Type 7 which is similar but wanted a floating running line that I can mend.

I think when the line has sinking head, even only Intermediate head, mending is useless when there is rod length of running line out of rod tip even when it is floating.

Esa

I had one particular spot that I fished with my 300 grain 26 ft sink tip that always gobbled up my flies, I never considered changing my line because it got me down to were I wanted to be. I opted to go to a Jiggy Style fly and I did much better. Just a thought. :hooked:

JRT

I hear you. I thought no chance. Very deep water and. Floating line. Jim at Eldridge  Brothers in Maine said this is how they do it . The fly they call a grocery fly. It’s big enough to temp the fish up through deep water. It is worth a shout.

Esa has a point in that once that 26 got head-is underthe surface all you can mend is the running line. But you maybe looking to do that. I had similar challange on the Cape fast Inlet 20 feet deep in the center but only 5 feet deep at the edge. Nightmare.

Maine was like the Cape this spring tons of very small fish. Our best between three of us was approx 10 lbs. Upside was we learned how to blind fish huge crabs. Selective big fish method we were told. So we catch one pound fish on them. LOL. I am going to try next spring on the Cape.

Good luck with line search.

Mike