Baitedhard

MUST HAVE lures in NJ?

77 posts in this topic

On 10/18/2017 at 6:55 PM, Gully said:

Clamberlla is a must have. Followed closely by the clambiki. 1st is an expert level offering. The clambiki is more a catch all. You just can't go wrong w it...

+1

Think about where you fish and then try to cover each depth of water with 1-2 lures. If you fish fast moving inlets, heavier jigs and plugs will be needed. Open beaches at 6-8ft deep can take slower sinking ones.

Top - Pencil (cordell, lefty, guppy, gibbs, TA, etc.), Polaris Style (SS popper), Spook (Lil Doc)

Subsurface - SP Minnow, Stick Shadd, Magic Swimmer, Redfin

Mid - SS Darter, Bottle Plug, Slopehead, Metals

Bottom - Bucktails, lead/rubber, Shads, Ava Jigs

Speciality Lures - Epoxy jigs (Albies or bass on small bait), Long casting Pencils (heavily weighted Cordells for specific cases), Snag hook (in case bunker are around)

On 10/19/2017 at 0:23 PM, DoorGunner said:

Seen enough and cleaned enough stripers here at the dock to know one thing. I check every stomach and stripers are swimming seagulls. Found just about everything in them including golf balls. For me if it's the right size, moving through the water and making noise then they will eat it. We did a plugging show one evening. I tossed Homer out and the stripers beat the donuts out of him. 

fishing.jpg.7ce574357b709190628363d975717990.jpg

That's awesome DG!  Where did you get the Homer lure?

Posted (edited)

Reading through this thread I am surprised that the YoZuri Chrystal Minnow has only been mentioned by one person. I fish this lure more than all the other tried and trues mentioned here. On the meadow, on the rocks, in the wash, it produces everywhere for me. Most of the others are with me at all times.

Edited by Keeper Seeker

Posted (edited)

On 10/18/2017 at 9:56 PM, Sudsy said:

More fish have been caught on chicken scratch Bombers and white bucktails in Raritan bay then on just about all other lures combined.

I still, somehow, have the first chicken scratch bomber I bought in the late 80's and B&N.  Every bumper in and around IBSP had one rod with a Daiwa 2600 with a chicken scratch bomber and teaser tied on. I may just give the ol bomber /teaser combo a turn next time out.  First fish I caught on it was in Jones Inlet.  Used it during the longest "blitz" I've ever experienced at the old rip on SH.  Steady bite 3 Hrs of incoming and 1 of outgoing. The black 16a ain't bad either. Every cast one night at Chatham Inlet. Had to be black or blurple 16a or you weren't getting bit.   

Edited by richs

4 hours ago, richs said:

I still, somehow, have the first chicken scratch bomber I bought in the late 80's and B&N.  Every bumper in and around IBSP had one rod with a Daiwa 2600 with a chicken scratch bomber and teaser tied on. I may just give the ol bomber /teaser combo a turn next time out.  First fish I caught on it was in Jones Inlet.  Used it during the longest "blitz" I've ever experienced at the old rip on SH.  Steady bite 3 Hrs of incoming and 1 of outgoing. The black 16a ain't bad either. Every cast one night at Chatham Inlet. Had to be black or blurple 16a or you weren't getting bit.   

Remember catching bass literally every single cast on a chicken scratch bomber at Chatham for an entire tide, I remember having to remove the middle treble because I had at least a dozen times were I'd have 2 fish on the same plug. But in Jersey the school bus color has caught me more fish than any other plug I own.

13 hours ago, richs said:

I still, somehow, have the first chicken scratch bomber I bought in the late 80's and B&N.  Every bumper in and around IBSP had one rod with a Daiwa 2600 with a chicken scratch bomber and teaser tied on.

Still have and use my 2600 on a Kennedy Fisher rod to throw chicken scratch Bombers

Suddenly feeling very old

On 10/29/2017 at 9:53 AM, Buckscorider said:

Gotta have the Blurple SP.

SP.png

The hook rash is also required. I use one that's so worn it's almost white ! Come to think of it, maybe wonderbread is better? :kook:

-bd

48 mins ago, Buckscorider said:

Same plug today. Its got some mojo.

Did well in montauk off the sandy beaches at night.

20171030_210847.jpg

Looks like you got into some blues there