Baitedhard

MUST HAVE lures in NJ?

77 posts in this topic

Seen enough and cleaned enough stripers here at the dock to know one thing. I check every stomach and stripers are swimming seagulls. Found just about everything in them including golf balls. For me if it's the right size, moving through the water and making noise then they will eat it. We did a plugging show one evening. I tossed Homer out and the stripers beat the donuts out of him. 

fishing.jpg.7ce574357b709190628363d975717990.jpg

x2 for SP minnow (always carry one light color and one dark, i.e. Bone & Blurple), mag darter is also great near jetties, inlets. 

7 hours ago, DoorGunner said:

Seen enough and cleaned enough stripers here at the dock to know one thing. I check every stomach and stripers are swimming seagulls. Found just about everything in them including golf balls. For me if it's the right size, moving through the water and making noise then they will eat it. We did a plugging show one evening. I tossed Homer out and the stripers beat the donuts out of him. 

fishing.jpg.7ce574357b709190628363d975717990.jpg

Doh!!! 

For me, all it takes is a hook-up or two on a lure for that lure to be a must have... Fish aren't as intelligent as us humans....

That homer lure probably has good action, a splashy walk-the-dog quality...

I believe there's an old adage, when it comes to lures, "flash is for the cash."

Yo zuri 3D inshore Series 

Sebile Stick shad (slow sinking) 

buck tail(s) 3/4oz - 2oz 

tsunami swim shads 

jig heads and gulp 

tsunami talking popper 

ava metals 

sp minnow 

I don’t leave the house without these. 

A good set of split ring pliers is a must. Because the first thing you'll need to with an SP Minnow or Mag Darter is swap out the hardware. Even the new larger sizes get new rings/hooks. A 1.5 or 2 oz Kastmaster with a single hook is a great tin to carry. I would also recommend a Super Strike popper. The 2 3/8 oz sinking in either white or yellow with a red head. They cast a mile and can be worked a few different ways. 

Yozuri Flash Bunker Crystal minnow

Atom striper swiper

Hopkins hammered 1.25oz and 2oz No=eql black or silver

Sluggos

Bone and Sandeel SP. 

1 hour ago, Black Flag said:

A good set of split ring pliers is a must. Because the first thing you'll need to with an SP Minnow or Mag Darter is swap out the hardware. Even the new larger sizes get new rings/hooks. A 1.5 or 2 oz Kastmaster with a single hook is a great tin to carry. I would also recommend a Super Strike popper. The 2 3/8 oz sinking in either white or yellow with a red head. They cast a mile and can be worked a few different ways. 

the hardware on the new large SP's is real solid stuff, no need to swap it.

On 10/19/2017 at 9:19 AM, fishless said:

You're going to get a lot of responses with this question so take notes of how many of the suggestions are repeated in the responses.  My money will go on the Diawa SP Minnow as being suggested the most.  That's with good reason.  Affordable and effective.   

Yes, I wasn't ready for all of these responses so I'm taking down notes! Certainly do not have all the money to buy all of these at once haha