Baitedhard

MUST HAVE lures in NJ?

66 posts in this topic

Hey Jersey folks!

I'm starting to get into lures as well and wondering if anyone has any 'must haves' in their tackle box. I'll be mainly fishing from a pier in the sandy hook bay area. keyport, keansburg area. Target species? Anything you can catch out there, but I guess I'll be most likely to find blues, snappers, stripers. Also on a bit of a budget so the best bang for the buck lures would be appreciated!! So far all I have are some freshwater bass lures and a gotcha plug. Starting to move over to saltwater fishing!

Thanks!

Clamberlla is a must have. Followed closely by the clambiki. 1st is an expert level offering. The clambiki is more a catch all. You just can't go wrong w it...

CBR had some good ones I'd definitely add in a pencil popper for daylight fishing and can never go anywhere without a bucktail.  Sp Minnow covers this category but mag darter is a deadly bait as well.

For pencil popper I like the 6" Tsunami talkin popper XD if you're on a budget.  I usually carry a 3oz guppy too.  I'll put the guppy away and use the tsunami if blues are around.  Can't go wrong with white for color.

You'll want to be fishing the ocean pretty soon IMO

53 minutes ago, crazybellringer said:

sp minnow and swim shads should get you by maybe super strike poppers.

Gotta agree. I would add a few Bucktails and metals too. They never fail 

i would not leave home without BT, few red fins , sp minnow, mag darter , tsunami talking popper and when you begin to catch you can throw them all away and stock up on a few custom builders just joking enjoy the coming mayhem 

SP minnow, Hopkins metals, 1oz buck tails with a white grub or ottertail on it, a pencil popper prob start with a white one and a yellow one, pick up a tunami talking popper and a hogy epoxy jig. Build up from there

More fish have been caught on chicken scratch Bombers and white bucktails in Raritan bay then on just about all other lures combined.

Paddle tail aka swim shad.

White Bucktail from 3/4-1.25oz using a trailer on the hook, and soft plastic curly tails are easiest to find.

Bomber “long A” usually in blurple for me and fished at night or in overcast weather, and one blurple SP minnow floating used same. Fish them slowly with a very intermittent occasional speedy twitch. 

SP minnow in chicken scratch and another one bone white for any day all day. 

If the budget is super tight, start with Storm or Tsunami paddletails/shads in the roughly .9oz size. Add one or two SPs mentioned by anyone and start from there. IMHO, bucktails can be a longer learning curve, and metals/tins come secondary in budget terms. 

Like most guys, I use a Tactical Anglers clip at the end of my leader to attach lures for easy changes. Plenty of threads about that on here. It’s easier to get the clip on & off if you remove the split ring from the front of any lures that have them, but that means getting anither item - a cheap pair of split ring pliers. 

Figure out a plan for keeping the lures from tangling. You will want portability so you can explore the beach or bay, which means a tackle box is not preferred. (You’ll end up staying in one spot too long or you’ll walk away and leave it behind.) An old soft sided cooler with Plano boxes can work crudely if you have those things already, but it’s a slow and frustrating process to change anything out. 

A surf bag is nicer and there’s a thread you can search for on this site where a guy repurposed a paintball canister pouch for lures on a really cheap budget (like total under $20). It could be worth considering at least til you know you’re hooked and/or you can up your budget cash. Then step up to shimano blue wave bag $65), and later there are really really nice ones for the next step up. 

Sorry my post got so long! Finally, don’t get binoculars. Don’t cast over anyone’s head. Haha. Otherwise, good luck!

Bombers, sp minnows , swim shads (pre rigged or pick up some shad bodies and jigheads and make your own) and a few bucktails will start you off. Also def a popper or 2 because it will have its moments. Don’t go crazy at first see what works for you and you feel confident fishing. Once you get a taste you can start upgrading and check out plugs for Sale on the site and grow your collection. Good luck ! 

You're going to get a lot of responses with this question so take notes of how many of the suggestions are repeated in the responses.  My money will go on the Diawa SP Minnow as being suggested the most.  That's with good reason.  Affordable and effective.   

13 hours ago, Fishingbert said:

Gotta agree. I would add a few Bucktails and metals too. They never fail 

Ditto.  Always have a bucktail or 2 in your bag.  Match the size to surf conditions.; it only takes a minute to swap them out.  A few different length and color twister tails is nice to have as well.