Reed422

Sleep Apnea

128 posts in this topic

Not reading all the comments so apologies in advance if this is repetitive. 

I did the overnight test in a sleep center, full deal, all wired up. Moderate to severe apnea with blood O2 level dropping into low 80s at times. Back-sleep position was worst. Their recommendation was the mask, I said frack that. Insurance picked up most of the cos of the test and would have paid for the mask too.  

Subsequently, an ENT observed that I have an elongated soft palette, enlarged uvula, enlarged turbinates and a deviated septum. The last two make getting enough air a challenge, the first two help collapse my airways when I rollover onto my back. 

I am not overweight, have no family history of sudden heart failure and no other indications that the apnea is life threatening. The key is quality and adequacy of sleep due to low O2 levels. 

ENT did NOT recommend the surgery nor sonoplasty (use microwaves to cook off some of the soft palette). He agreed that the recovery from the surgery is brutal and results are not guaranteed. 

I researched nonsurgical alternstives and found "positional therapy" which works for those whose apnea is triggered by back sleeping. The aim is the get you to avoid sleeping on your back and having nasal tissues collapse. The thing I bought was the Rematee which is a neoprene belt that holds three inflatable bladders and secures with Velcro and shoulder straps. The bladders go on your back and if you rollover they prevent you from comfortably staying that way. This unit is an offshoot of their original product which was a T-shirt with three pockets into which you inserted tennis balls. 

The results were quite good. After two weeks of sleeping with the Rematee, I returned to the sleep center for a suecond study, this time with the "vest". The operator was fascinated as my O2 level never dropped below 95 and only that low for a short period. Unlike the first study where 90%+ of my sleep time was in my back and snoring loudly, nearly 90% was spent on one of my two sides with the vest. 

The doctors were somewhat incredulous that this contraption had that great an impact, but it did. Not a panacea for all, especially the severely overweight, it could work for those of normal weight with nasal blockages and back-sleeping issues. 

Of course, YMMV

ETA: https://www.antisnoreshirt.com/

71629CC4-BEFB-4164-9D59-E2001379A0A1.png.fff75e06bf318725688a64a3a814cbfc.png

Edited by tomkaz

1 hour ago, tomkaz said:

I did the overnight test in a sleep center, full deal, all wired up. Moderate to severe apnea with blood O2 level dropping into low 80s at times. Back-sleep position was worst. Their recommendation was the mask, I said frack that. Insurance picked up most of the cos of the test and would have paid for the mask too.  

Subsequently, an ENT observed that I have an elongated soft palette, enlarged uvula, enlarged turbinates and a deviated septum. The last two make getting enough air a challenge, the first two help collapse my airways when I rollover onto my back. 

I am not overweight, have no family history of sudden heart failure and no other indications that the apnea is life threatening. The key is quality and adequacy of sleep due to low O2 levels. 

ENT did NOT recommend the surgery nor sonoplasty (use microwaves to cook off some of the soft palette). He agreed that the recovery from the surgery is brutal and results are not guaranteed. 

I researched nonsurgical alternstives and found "positional therapy" which works for those whose apnea is triggered by back sleeping. The aim is the get you to avoid sleeping on your back and having nasal tissues collapse. The thing I bought was the Rematee which is a neoprene belt that holds three inflatable bladders and secures with Velcro and shoulder straps. The bladders go on your back and if you rollover they prevent you from comfortably staying that way. This unit is an offshoot of their original product which was a T-shirt with three pockets into which you inserted tennis balls. 

The results were quite good. After two weeks of sleeping with the Rematee, I returned to the sleep center for a suecond study, this time with the "vest". The operator was fascinated as my O2 level never dropped below 95 and only that low for a short period. Unlike the first study where 90%+ of my sleep time was in my back and snoring loudly, nearly 90% was spent on one of my two sides with the vest. 

The doctors were somewhat incredulous that this contraption had that great an impact, but it did. Not a panacea for all, especially the severely overweight, it could work for those of normal weight with nasal blockages and back-sleeping issues. 

Of course, YMMV

That’s just too weird....

1 hour ago, tomkaz said:

Of course, YMMV

Whoah dude. Do you wear a leather mask and ball gag too? Do us a favor and put that thing on, then a t shirt over it. Take a pic just of the chest/back 3 tits. Well start a thread on a three tit chick and see how many of these ingrates wanna bang you.

1 hour ago, north-shore fisha said:

I’ll take the mask over sleeping with back tits

Seriously 

Kinda paranoid to goto sleep. Freddie's gonna get me.

18 hours ago, Reed422 said:

Thanks now I feel relaxed.

take a deep breath and relax :bucktooth: 

Edited by redfishkiller

Nice guys, I offer an under $200 solution with 80%+ relief for the non-obese and I get the obvious 3-tit comments. 

It works after a week week of getting accustomed to sleeping on your side. A body pillow helps to keep knees from grinding into one another. 

Good luck if if you prefer the Hanibal Lechter look. 

Edited by tomkaz

10 hours ago, tomkaz said:

Of course, YMMV

Did they test the condition of your ovaries at the same time...???

2 hours ago, tomkaz said:

Nice guys, I offer an under $200 solution with 80%+ relief for the non-obese and I get the obvious 3-tit comments. 

It works after a week week of getting accustomed to sleeping on your side. A body pillow helps to keep knees from grinding into one another. 

Good luck if if you prefer the Hanibal Lechter look. 

I don't sleep on my back

Looks like something they would ask you to wear in prison......right before asking you to turn your underwear around backwards.

Edited by AlwaysWading

7 hours ago, tomkaz said:

Glad to be of service! :howdy:

And honestly: did you expect anything less, backwards Wendy Whoppers?