Reed422

Sleep Apnea

268 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Reed422 said:

you guys wouldn't want the surgery? I want it

Get the transgender done while you are in there, they will probably give you a break on the price.

for real though, I'd like to breathe better you heathens. Not even sleep wise just out and about, exercise, etc.

26 minutes ago, Reed422 said:

you guys wouldn't want the surgery? I want it

Had the surgery 14 years ago. Didn't help.

Been using the cpap for 9 or 10. Not perfect, but it helps alot.

YMMV 

7 hours ago, EBHarvey said:

Friend of mine had that done - said the recovery was absolutely horrific.

I an attest to that.   They cut my palate, removed my uvula,adnoid and tonsils. I had a deviated septum they fixed as well.  

It didn't stop the snoring and as stated above, recovery sucked.

This was about 10 years ago if I remember correctly.

59 minutes ago, MitchellNJ said:

TAP device is the better one

Make sure you do any exercises the Dr says though. The mouth appliance will move your jaw permanently if not. I effed up big time. Perfectly aligned teeth all my life and now my jaw is all ****ed up.

and i thought it was from all them balls hitting your chin, who new :shrug: 

8 hours ago, Reed422 said:

Getting an in home sleep study probably got the apnea. been a snorer all my life fat or skinny. I'm ready for my vader mask. Though really I just want the surgery where they take part of your throat out and break your nose. I have lots of offers for help with the broken nose part.

I bet your bf is looking forward to the throat part.

9 hours ago, Belmo said:

They covered it, but with a huge co-pay. Eff that noise. 

What made the take-home test even stupider is that the stupid thing fell off me both nights. It might have been attached to my body for a cumulative total of 3 or 4 hours for both nights. That wasn't an impediment to a positive diagnosis, evidently.

I asked the guy who tried to sell me a C-Pap, when I spoke to him, what percentage of the in-home tests they do result in a positive diagnosis. This is important, because the company that does the diagnosis also sells the c-pap, meaning that a positive diagnosis results in more money in their pockets. This is, ethically speaking, a clear conflict of interest, and I was wondering if that would have an impact on the ratio of positive to negative diagnoses.  

The guy on the other end of the phone refused to answer that question. :D

I got a followup with the real doc next month. I'm just going to leave it. But if the doc pushes me, I'll do an inpatient study: those are evidently much more reliable. 

DO THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ The alternative...if you HAVE sleep apnea.....could be waking up DEAD.   :shrug::scared:

I have two brothers who had the operation, both regret it. One can no longer drink anything carbonated and he loved his beer. 

A third brother uses the crap machine and loves it.

12 hours ago, 2mcfisher48 said:

DO THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ The alternative...if you HAVE sleep apnea.....could be waking up DEAD.   :shrug::scared:

Meh, I'm agnostic. I snore the same way my old man did -- and he made it to 85, and died of something (old age/congestive heart failure). I will get checked out, but I ain't gonna freak out about it neither. 

There are people for whom apnea is a life-threatening deal: my cousin's late husband went to sleep as an otherwise healthy 62-year old, but one with severe untreated apnea, and died in his sleep. I don't think that's me.