iputmyhoursin

Braid to leader question - knot or swivel

35 posts in this topic

zak-striper, except for the bead that is how I rig every rod I have...Palomars are the best and most simple knots I have ever found...John H.

I use my shoe laces,,,a lot of overthink here. Or maybe I'm just not thinking. 

Spool to mono,,,spool knot,

Mono to braid uni,60 #braid 

60lb.braid to swivel double clinch. 

Leader, 30 lbs,to swivel ,and to clip,

Improvedclinch, or Palomar, both ends ,   I can tie these behind my back,no need for light, ,,especially the the clinch. 

the palomar is what we call "the braid knot".  100% perfect and used for tying braid strait to anything with a hole or a ring - aka, direct to snap swivel, direct to lure.  so to answer the op question, you are saying swivel (?).

Sorry but some off you guys way over thinking things.....You just jigging bass in the canal.......Not trying to put gear together to climb K9..........

Minimum hardware for me. Mainline to leader uni. leader to lure, Rapala loop knot except when jigging 4 turn clinch/cinch. I prefer the basic clinch over the improved, I always pull down snug which you don't always get with the improved, never let me down.

I'll answer this on how i fish mostly, and thats at night with large swimmer's. Braid to swivel with palomar knot to keep twist out of line and improved clinch from swivel to plug. Use very short leader and tie direct also leave large tag ends all around.:howdy:

I use a double surgeon's knot. Granted I only fish up to maybe 30 lb. flouro leader, but I have never broken the knot whether casting, snagging, or fighting a fish. I caught a drifting trap or log or something in the canal and could not break the knot. Also super quick and easy to tie.

There are so many knots and as someone who has experimented with a lot of them including variations, I can say that there are quite a few good ones to consider. Some I learned to tie but took too long to do when I needed on the boat. To the flip side, some that were easier to tie and quite honestly sucked. 

My suggestion is that you review the application and select what works best for you including if you prefer to just tie to a swivel and leader. 

For me, going from a thinner braid to a heavier mono (20 lb power pro to 30-40 flouro), I am fond of the FG knot and use it all the time now with great success. Takes time to learn it but with practice you will find it 2nd nature and like tying your shoes (and any other knot you put effort into). 

Good luck. 

I only use the Alberto if I'm down in the Keys fishing for tarpon (not  catching much) and connecting 80 lb plus flouro to braid. 

On the canal I use 50 lb Masterbraid tied to a 130 lb Spro Power Swivel with a  Rivers Inlet Knot, to 36" of 50 lb Seguar Blue Label Flouro tied to either a 7/0 Gamy Octopus  hook or Breakaway Clip. 

I just told my brother last night I don't think I've broken off with this setup, with many BIG fish in between, since the cone heartbreaker in 2014 that led me to reaccess the setup to begin with. 

I’m lazy and don’t jig much at all.

with bait it’s 20 lb mono clinch is fine

braid small strong swivel to 20” mono to clinch

nothing fancy but works and easy to change at night

I still don't see the advantage to tying a mono leader directly to braid? It seems like a disadvantage at so many levels.

5 hours ago, bob_G said:

I still don't see the advantage to tying a mono leader directly to braid? It seems like a disadvantage at so many levels.

On light tackle, the PR knot does not require folding the leader, so it goes well into the eyelets. I promise to post a picture of a finished knot after I tie one in the morning.