Colmisfishing

Drifting flies in current

30 posts in this topic

Thanks again guys, there is a substantive amount of information above and more than enough to push me forward with techniques/approaches/line types etc to try out. And I will try them out.

Mike, thanks for the Brandon offer. Beautiful part of Ireland but alas, I will be ensconced back up in Dublin. You are right about the USA for fishing. I haven't tried stripers...yet but I have fished a lot of the Gulf of Florida coastline - Clearwater, Siesta Key, Longboat down to FMB and into Sanibel and the quantity and quality of fishing is on a different scale.

Stripers may be next years project!

Colm, 

Are you looking for a drag-free drift or are you looking to swing your flies in the current? 

Drag-free drift being the flies moving at the speed of the current, no faster or slower. Whereas "swing" meaning the flies are moving slower than the current and are travelling across the stream, under tension. 

In either case there will be drag. In the former you will have some drag somewhere due to current variations on the free floating or sinking line and in the latter of course the whole system is dragging. 

I'd like to know what people mean by "deaddrift"? Do they mean drag-free drift or a swing drift? 

In any event, I like what Mike Oliver is saying. 

The great American President Bill Clinton had an adviser who liked to use an acronym in times of crisis: "KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid".

1. Fish a heavy weighted fly that doesn't have a lot of drag (like a lot of bucktail sticking out from it)
  2. Use a short leader like 4 feet long, supplemented with buckshot (little weight attached to leader if neccessary)
  3. Use a very heavy sinking head or line
  4. cast across stream, mend immediately without moving the end of the line  and let the whole thing sink by feeding loose line out the rod tip
  5. Let the line flow and sink in current and let it come under tension and swing across the flow
  6. Try raising and lowering the rod tip "on the hang" as they call it in steelheading circles here in the States. Sometimes that will get you a grab
  7. repeat, altering as neccessary if you end up on bottom
    1. if you are hitting bottom:
      1. feed less line into drift
      2. do less of a mend
      3. move your rod tip in front of the line toward the final resting point, which creates that "belly" as Mike Oliver calls it and will result in slightly less depth

Posted (edited)

51 minutes ago, Otshawytsha said:

I'd like to know what people mean by "deaddrift"? Do they mean drag-free drift or a swing drift? 

Dead drifting means drag free drifting.

Edited by capefish4231

Capefish, Reviewing the comments again I'm am seeing that it's less ambiguous than I thought. Yes, folks seem to be using deaddrift as you aree saying. 

But I would still like to know what ColmisFishing is fishing like when he "deaddrifts". Because he says: 

"I said drifting but in reality I try combinations of dead drifting or a slow retrieve."

Then he goes on to describe a swinging type situation, not a drag free "dead drift" situation.  

What I am seeing is disconnect due to language between the SOL types and Colm. Disambiguation is in order. 

To me the drag-free drift thing is not at issue here, primarily. Although an approach that eliminates drag could be in order, for the sake of sinking the fly rather than accomplishing a drag-free presentation. The issue is simply fishing fast heavy water. 

13 hours ago, Otshawytsha said:

Colm are you having trouble staying near the bottom or something? When you are fishing jigs or whatever with your conventional rod or whatever you call it over there, do u gen. catch the seabass on the bottom? How cloudy is the water? 

How much success have you had so far? Do you get 'em in deep water and shallow water alike and all stages of the tide? Just curious if you are even catching 'em on the fly. 

Search youtube videoes for steelhead swing fishing. Steelhead is a trout, common in the western part of the States, which people fish for with big sinking lines. I think "drifting" in your terminology is "swinging" in ours over here, although some of my collegues seems to have interpreted you to mean "drag-free" drift where the fly is moving at same speed of current, no slower and no faster, as in dry fly fishing. 

I would say this: casting across the current at perpendicular angle, try to keep a little line in reserve, and right when the fly hits the water make a very large mend before the rest of the line has hit the water. Just one mend maybe one more after that. Then you can feed a little of that reserved line into the drift and fish that. But how deep can you get? Who knows. 

It might be neccessary to just fish the shallower zones and focus there or else try something else. 

You should watch this video: 

don't know if its going to help him, but It will sure help he , this guide is a great teacher explaining . Thanks for sharing 

5 hours ago, Colmisfishing said:

Thanks again guys, there is a substantive amount of information above and more than enough to push me forward with techniques/approaches/line types etc to try out. And I will try them out.

Mike, thanks for the Brandon offer. Beautiful part of Ireland but alas, I will be ensconced back up in Dublin. You are right about the USA for fishing. I haven't tried stripers...yet but I have fished a lot of the Gulf of Florida coastline - Clearwater, Siesta Key, Longboat down to FMB and into Sanibel and the quantity and quality of fishing is on a different scale.

Stripers may be next years project!

Colm 

Dont leave Stripers for too long. If you love rough and tumble it should float your boat. If you ever fancy Cape  Cod in late May / June there are sometimes opening in the group I fish with . It’s heavily overbalanced by Americans I am the only Brit so an Irishman would even it up a bit. It is not even expensive.

We have a guy in fact two from Dublin who are coming west to be part of the trip in Brandon. I have done this same trip for past umpteen years.

Ok I hope you now have a greater insight into fishing fast deep water.

Mike

The article Mr.Coulton (TheFisherman) wrote for the sadly now defunct Northeast FlyFishing Mag. intitled ' Salmon fishing for Stripers would be extreamly helpful in answering many questions concerning drifting flies and similar tactics for fishing moving water for stripers . As usual his current comments are spot on , I've found his thoughts and tips invaluable in advancing my own sphere of knowledge . Bill J 

Thanks, Bill. That article is still available on my website. If anyone wants to read it, do a search for "salmon fishing for striped bass culton" and it should be the first hit.

Steve Culton

I read the article. Excellent job. But I have to take issue with "backing up a pool". I think it would be better to move forward down a pool, so that you aren't lining fish or other wise preparing them for the arrival of your fly. On the other hand maybe all of the mending and false casting and splashing sort of chums up the fish and could be useful. 

Also, if traditional angling options are so important and everything I would like people to know about "carrying a loop" which is popular for wet fly fishing and steelhead fishing. You hold a little loop of line in your rod hand and when you feel a grab you release the loop simultaneous with raising the rod. This is an elegant solution for the problem of a straight line in heavy current effectively preventing the striper for sucking in the fly! 

Carrying a loop won't work with your system of setting the hook by removing the rod from the hookset, however.

What traditional source did that hookset method come from? I don't remember that being in Jock Scott? It's a good idea though, wherever it came from, although it might be best suited for your style of fishing for big stripers with a 5wt trout rod and 9wt lines.

With a 5wt rod I can see that it would be difficult to set a big hook. 

I think those of us using regular striper rods in the 8-10wt category will be fine with normal hookset. 

"He is an old‐time striper fisherman who has lots of experience catching big fish with conventional tackle. He loves to fish for big fish with a fly rod and he has spent a lot of time fishing for them in the mouth of the Housatonic with heavy sink tips, His method is to cast and let the fly swing under control. He does not cast and strip. His largest bass to date is a 49½‐pound fish. That is the largest striper I know of taken on a fly rod in many many years. It is not the only really big fish he has taken using these flies with deep swings. Lead eyes on Razzle Dazzles work.
He swings them just like he learned to swing a jig with conventional tackle years ago. It is a
deadly technique. Lead eyes can be used on smaller Flatwings easily.
Do they work? Absolutely!
Is it new?
No.
It's fishing with the most effective lure ever designed by man: 
A jig. The government puts them in survival kits for good reason.

I don't think they will ever add Flatwings flies to that kit."

J. Kenney Abrames, "Many Many Ways", Stripermoon Blog. 

On 10/20/2017 at 11:35 PM, Mike Oliver said:

Colm 

Dont leave Stripers for too long. If you love rough and tumble it should float your boat. If you ever fancy Cape  Cod in late May / June there are sometimes opening in the group I fish with . It’s heavily overbalanced by Americans I am the only Brit so an Irishman would even it up a bit. It is not even expensive.

We have a guy in fact two from Dublin who are coming west to be part of the trip in Brandon. I have done this same trip for past umpteen years.

Ok I hope you now have a greater insight into fishing fast deep water.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'm already committed to a couple of trips next year if they come together but that sounds like possibility for the future. 

Colm

The infamous words. If they come together. The main reason I mostlly am the organisor. That way I know the trip is going to happen.

It’s a great habit overseas fishing trips. I hope you get into the rythum. 

Mike

On 10/24/2017 at 0:06 PM, Mike Oliver said:

Colm

The infamous words. If they come together. The main reason I mostlly am the organisor. That way I know the trip is going to happen.

It’s a great habit overseas fishing trips. I hope you get into the rythum. 

Mike

....ah our illustrious leader and organizer, the infamous Sir Michael Oliver.   Boy I need a spring trip now !

11 hours ago, HillTop said:

....ah our illustrious leader and organizer, the infamous Sir Michael Oliver.   Boy I need a spring trip now !

Be patient HT time at our age seems to fly by. Our spring trip will be with us soon enough. But I know how you feel. I am trying any which way to wangle some lake trout fishing on just a single day of the week. Becoming a new first time Grandad twice and a daughters wedding  this year has made the juggling more difficult. I am hoping that both Grandkids will love the outdoors. The 8 month old granddaughter we take swimming and plan to take my 18 day old grandson as soon as the sports  centre will take him. Hopefully I will get two new fishing partners.

I know works tough for you right now. But darn it just grab a day. You will feel all the better for it and I bet your wife will agree.

Mike

On 10/24/2017 at 8:49 AM, Colmisfishing said:

Thanks Mike, I'm already committed to a couple of trips next year if they come together but that sounds like possibility for the future. 

Colm,

When you have posted 15 posts you are allowed to use the Private Message (PM) option.  Should your schedule open up PM Mike or me to see the status of the 3 weeks in June that we have booked for 2018.

Welcome to SOL and the Fly Fishing Forum.  The resource is the folks who share their knowledge freely to folks like you.  My people came from Cork in 1856 and Cavan in 1932.  If you come we can see how many cousins we share in the US and Ireland.

Slante'