yankeefisherman

clear line or colored line for surf

17 posts in this topic

I'm starting to become very self-conscious about  type of line I'm fishing. Though I understand the majority of guys fish an intermediate line,   I want to stick with a floating line as I fish the surf 90% of the time, not deeper than 10 feet at the most, usually around 3-7 feet.  I'm fishing with a Rio sandy-blue saltwater Wf9 line.  Now I'm thinking I should''ve went with a clear line for reasons of being outfished the majority of the time by the latter.  Now I hoping it can be my mechanics as to fly placement, retrieve speed, fly depth  etc. The question of line color bugs me though.    Is there a preference on line color or am I overthinking and just being plain anal?  

Over thinking this FlyFishBro.

First just get out there and do it with whatever gear you have.

Any Floating line ... any color will work well as long as your monofilament leader is 8 or 9 feet long ... no problem. Having said that unless I'm fishing poppers (with a line that is all floating) ... I'll me fishing a floating line with a clear sink tip plus the monofilament leader (like Wulff Bermuda Triangular Taper Lost Tip) ... or a clear WF Intermediate fly line.

Good luck in your fishing!

Posted (edited)

Fish the line that you can see!

I fished a clear line once and it drove me crazy.

You have a leader... don't worry about it.

If you are being "out fished" by a clear fly line, the last thing I would do is change the fly line....

Yes, you're overthinking it.

to add: I know many expert trout fisherman and full-time guides. They mostly use Wulff TT lines in bright orange, and they do very well even in gin clear streams!

Edited by BillHassan
addition

Posted (edited)

While fishing an Air Flo 40+ the other day I definitely saw Stripers turn away from the yellow running line and the blue shooting head. I was on a Flat in about 2 feet of clear water. My leader was 8/9 feet of Yurzuri  flouro hybrid.

My next floating line (if I can find it) will be clear. I have an older clear Air Soft Intermediate that I plan on using on Flats.

For the surf I do not believe color is an issue.

Edited by Bucko
clarity

You just got a lot of good advice from some very knowledgeable fly guys. Stay with the line you have, if it casts well, you in good shape. a 9 foot leader is fine but if you want you can go out to 11 feet, in the salt that would be more than adequate.  

I have few clear lines and they coil a lot and they are more difficult see. Also when it is sunny they reflect light which seems to scare fish more than colored lines. Fly line does not make shadow when it is one feet away, just some shading, because sun diameter is so big. Also rod blank does not make shadow when it is five feet away.

Esa

I'm a believer in clear lines when sight fishing the flats in the skinny...for the surf I don't think it matters. 

Thanks everyone for their input..When I'm fishing and I don't catch or if I'm being outfished, I feel I'm doing something wrong.  I'll stick with the color line for the fall run and reconsider after I gain more experience.  

People have used colored lines for bonefish for a long time and they're spookier than stripers in the surf. When you think of how fast the window of opportunity closes for a fish in the surf to pounce on bait I doubt they waste much time waiting for the perfect environmental conditions. Colored line should be fine...

Doesn't matter. Maybe it'll spook fish in rare instances, but there is some benefit to having colored line. One of which is using the loop at the end as an indicator. Many times that has helped me with timing a strike and setting the hook. Some lines purposely color that loop a different, visible color for that purpose.

2 hours ago, lisurfer49 said:

Doesn't matter. Maybe it'll spook fish in rare instances, but there is some benefit to having colored line. One of which is using the loop at the end as an indicator. Many times that has helped me with timing a strike and setting the hook. Some lines purposely color that loop a different, visible color for that purpose.

I find that seeing the end of the fly line is something that many overlook. Even if the line is colored as opposed to clear under certain light conditions it is still extremely hard to see were the line ends and the leader begins. 

I know for me the easiest way to solve the problem was something I started doing years ago. All my leaders have a short piece of Florescent Green Ande about 8 inches long built into the leader that connects to the fly line. I cannot tell you how many fish that little piece of of Green has been responsible for. Once I see that green I simple just use a slow lift and drag the fly to the surface and then just let the fly suspend in the water. It works great on Stripers and is killer on Snook.

Im on the side of a clear tip intermediate line. Go to eBay and pick up one of the discontinued rio outbound shorts with the ....I'm can't remember exactly now....10 or 15 foot clear intermediate tip. When I find them..I buy them. A great striped bass line. Then get a clear airflo intermediate 5' poly leader. Add 2 to 4 feet flouro and your problems are solved, JMHO

13 hours ago, yankeefisherman said:

Thanks everyone for their input..When I'm fishing and I don't catch or if I'm being outfished, I feel I'm doing something wrong.  I'll stick with the color line for the fall run and reconsider after I gain more experience.  

I hear ya, the mind will jump to whatever rationalization it can find but oftentimes it is as simple as not being in quite the right spot. I've fished locations where a guy is getting fish every cast or drift, but fishing 15 feet to his right there is nothing. They were just holding in one very concentrated area of the rip. I fish a Rio floater with blue head and tan running line, and an Airflo sinker with clear head and blue running line. I have not noticed any difference in catch rate between the two lines at least not due to color. Certainly due to sinking vs. floating though.

Capefish, thats exactly what was happening, same fly, 15-20 feet next to my buddy.  I'm trying to control all those variable that I can control, and the other variable I gotta learn to put myself in the best possible position to hooking up.  Very fustrating.  Even in this post I learned some things I never thougt of, so in the end I learned new things. Thanks. 

21 hours ago, Bucko said:

While fishing an Air Flo 40+ the other day I definitely saw Stripers turn away from the yellow running line and the blue shooting head. I was on a Flat in about 2 feet of clear water. My leader was 8/9 feet of Yurzuri  flouro hybrid.

My next floating line (if I can find it) will be clear. I have an older clear Air Soft Intermediate that I plan on using on Flats.

For the surf I do not believe color is an issue.

21 hours ago, bonefishdick said:

You just got a lot of good advice from some very knowledgeable fly guys. Stay with the line you have, if it casts well, you in good shape. a 9 foot leader is fine but if you want you can go out to 11 feet, in the salt that would be more than adequate.  

If anyone knows about fish turning away from Blue Airflo line it would be BFD ?