Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishmak

Penn Torque TRQS5 Spinning Reel - Line Roller Screw(46A) Problem

6 posts in this topic

I've been a fan of PENN for many years, that's why I purchased Penn Torque TRQS5 Spinning Reel several years ago. In the last three years, this reel's Line Roller Screw(46A) keep giving me a huge problem is it keeps loosen after every cast/reel (Sorry for the long delay, coz New Future Fishermen is in the hood :)). I need to use my nail to screw back in, that's my nail is not pretty. 

There was another issue with it's Gear Assembly, but Tony(PENN) took care of it fast. That's why I am still with PENN. 

Anyone have same problem? Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

If it's not cover under warranty, how much is the part(s) to solve this problem? I really want to fix it. Thanks!

1 hour ago, fishmak said:

If it's not cover under warranty, how much is the part(s) to solve this problem? I really want to fix it. Thanks!

Tony will chime in with parts -- it won't be expensive -- but my suggestion for the screw dealie is Loctite. That stuff is designed to keep screws from coming loose. Loctite Blue is the stuff you want, I believe. 

Thank you so much for your suggestion! My question is for a $500 fishing reel, their designers should reverse the thread of the Line Roller Screw to prevent issue like this happened to such great fishing reels.

I am surprised that only happened to my reel, maybe I am one of the first group who purchased this reel.

Fishmak,

Thanks for the support.  We put a decent amount of torque on that screw and it has a nyloc patch but overtime the patch wears out and the screw could back out.  Also, the locking washer (36A) may not be doing its job any longer and needs to be replaced.  As Belmo stated a small dab of Loctite or any thread lock on the screw will keep it nice and tight.

tony

On 10/13/2017 at 8:49 AM, fishmak said:

I've been a fan of PENN for many years, that's why I purchased Penn Torque TRQS5 Spinning Reel several years ago. In the last three years, this reel's Line Roller Screw(46A) keep giving me a huge problem is it keeps loosen after every cast/reel (Sorry for the long delay, coz New Future Fishermen is in the hood :)). I need to use my nail to screw back in, that's my nail is not pretty. 

There was another issue with it's Gear Assembly, but Tony(PENN) took care of it fast. That's why I am still with PENN. 

I also bought one of the earlier models and have had no complaints. Soon as I read this I thought Loctite blue would solve your problem. Seems that Belmo beat me to the punch though.  

Thank you so much for all of your replies! I will give it a try.

BTW, I lost three HUGE fishes because of that :( but I am sure I'll get more!