Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave T.

Trailer help

9 posts in this topic

So I have lost the running lights on my trailer due to a broken wire right at the connector. Brake and signal lights still work. Want to replace the connector, it is a 4 pin, flat. My problem is that all of the ones I find online and at west marine have only 3 wires and a ground on their 4 pin connectors, mine has 4 wires and a ground. First pic is the connector on my trailer, second is what I got from west marine.IMG_1772.thumb.JPG.099d5c7d6fbe87b69a7c3da9891e92e8.JPGIMG_1773.thumb.JPG.eb2c4a8d172d73a3dc103e91d032d5c7.JPG

i have looked online and can't find one that will replace what I have anyone have any suggestions?

So as long as I keep the same order it shouldn't matter if the wire is used for running lights instead of brakes? I did see those but wasn't sure.

thanks

Sounds like you have a wishbone harness. A wishbone harness splits the running light circuit at the connector so you do not have to run a jumper from one side of the trailer to the other side.
On a wishbone 4-Way connector the white wire is ground, yellow is left turn signal, yellow/brown is left side running lights, green is right turn signal, and green/brown is right side running lights.

On a 4-Way flat trailer wiring harness, white is the ground, brown is running lights, yellow is left turn signal and green is right turn signal.

Look for 5 wire flat trailer plug or wishbone harness

Just ordered be here Sunday. Thanks again for the help, amazing what one word added (wishbone) to a search will produce.

8 hours ago, Dave T. said:

Just ordered be here Sunday. Thanks again for the help, amazing what one word added (wishbone) to a search will produce.

That was it. 

Funny, I replaced the harness and once connected had the same thing. Brake and signal on passenger side with no running  lights. Decided to change out drivers side signal assembly. Once done I had drivers side running, brake and signal, but now passenger side not working at all. Changed out passenger side assembly and now all is working, no idea what happened but it's working so not complaining :0)

thanks again for the help

tight lines,

dave