Kerry83

Surf setup

16 posts in this topic

Surf fisherman looking to give the fly a try.  I'm looking at the Cheeky limitless 425,  Sage Motive 9wt.  Anyone have this setup?  Any suggestions in the same price range.  Will be fishing NJ surf/bay

Can't comment on the reel as I have not seen one in person but a reel is a reel, it's a place to store your line and any decent brand will have comparable drag. We aren't trout fishing with silk thread tippet, startup inertia and all that is not too big of a concern. Look for a reel with a sealed drag. It will also mean that the one way bearing is sealed. I fish a BPS Kingfisher. Fully sealed and big reel for under $150. Holds a ton of backing.

The rod, I can comment on. I have that same rod and love it. It casts well especially into the wind and I can keep the loops nice and tight. It is a powerful rod at least compared to what I am used to. I also have a TFO Lefty Kreh Pro Series that is a slower action that I use on calm days when I feel lazy. That being said, the Motive may not be the best rod for someone who is just learning to cast, but you can certainly grow into it.

Don't overlook line choice. That is just as important as rod choice. If you're going to fish one line I would recommend an intermediate WF line like the Rio Striper or Rio Mainstream (NOT the Rio InTouch Striper line - it sucks. It twists and tangles so often and it is a non-stretch line so it is more than just a line memory issue).

If you want to buy new, I would suggest spending less than half the money you are thinking of spending.  Get a TFO BVK rod and a Redington Behemoth reel.  SAme if not better performance as the gear you are thinking about - just not as pretty. TFO has a far and away better warrantee than Sage.

Take the money saved and get some casting lessons.

Apart from gear acquisition which is the easy part have you yet boned up on salt water Striper fly fishing. Your surf background is invaluable but you have new interesting challenges and it is a fascinating and rewarding journey.

As a suggestion have a read of Lou Tabory's books and Rich Murphy. You can google them up.

Enjoy

Mike

Great start. It was the first book on salt water fly I read many moons ago. It is still relevant today.

It was my main learning tool..

Get yourself  a good technical cast whilst reading book and very soon you can be catching fish.

Contary to the beliefs of many you don't have to pay years of some imaginary dues to become proficient at this. One season alone can see you up there mixing it with the rest of the guys.

Have fun.

Mike

3 hours ago, Kerry83 said:

Surf fisherman looking to give the fly a try.  I'm looking at the Cheeky limitless 425,  Sage Motive 9wt.  Anyone have this setup?  Any suggestions in the same price range.  Will be fishing NJ surf/bay

How did you come to these rod and reel choices? I suspect they are great but this price range is typically above entry type gear.  If you love  that gear, great go for it.  But you can get a decent outfit for a lot less

there was mention above on line choices.

youll also need a stripping basket.

and I remember when I started in Saltwater Fly Fishing many years ago it was all good until I realized I would need a continuous source for flies so I had to get tying gear and materials right away as well. 

Thanks, all great info!  Really appreciate it.  I'll look at some of the less expensive options also, get them in my hands and see what I think. 

15 minutes ago, Kerry83 said:

Thanks, all great info!  Really appreciate it.  I'll look at some of the less expensive options also, get them in my hands and see what I think. 

At this time of year Orvis will start to offer end of season sales. Or at least they've done some killer deals in the past. And they are as good as any with customer service, exchanges and warranty issues. 

9wt would be a great all around one rod quiver, 10wt is worth the look as well. That's my go to for beach fishing, but I have a very stout 9wt I'll use for jetty fishing.

i lean toward better reel, save on rod end of things. Your reel will take a lot of salt water dunking, spray and sand. A good sealed drag will last much longer. Rod wise, as long as it feels good for you it'll take more abuse and last longer from those elements than the reel can.

orvis outlets have good deals, you can even call each one and ask what reels they have. I scored a new mirage at a fraction of the price and then an extra spool from a different outlet too. Mirage or hydros are great salt water minded reels. Also look on Sierratradingpost dot com. 

15 hours ago, Cpalms said:

If you want to buy new, I would suggest spending less than half the money you are thinking of spending.  Get a TFO BVK rod and a Redington Behemoth reel.  SAme if not better performance as the gear you are thinking about - just not as pretty. TFO has a far and away better warrantee than Sage.

Take the money saved and get some casting lessons.

Great recommendation by Cpalms. I think the Motive is around $450 (?) new and for not much over half that you can get a great setup albeit with not quite the "name recognition" as the Motive, but that won't help you cast better or catch more fish anyway. 

I would also recommend taking a look at the Behemoth. I bought one for a 7 wt. setup and it is a great reel. Super light with a good drag, and while not fully sealed it is better protected than other drags on cheap reels where the drag washers and one way bearing are totally exposed. I paired it with an Echo Base rod which would also be a great choice. It casts really smooth and transfer energy well, it is hard to mess up a cast and throw a tailing loop with this rod. For the Behemoth reel, Echo Base rod, Rio Mainstream line, and 200 yds. of backing I am into my 7 wt. for just over $250. Hard to go wrong there, leaves you a couple hundred bucks in your fly rod budget for a stripping basket, small sling pack, waterproof fly box, and some flies.

The warranty on all big name manufacturers is pretty much the same these days - TFO and Echo have a lifetime guarantee in materials and workmanship and then a $35 repair/replace fee if anything else ever goes wrong (TFO replaced my entire rod for $35 because my heavy clouser crashed into the tip section and snapped it). I believe Sage's is the same except with a $50 fee.

Awesome! Thanks guys.  I've heard good things about the echo rods i'll take a look at them.  I'll need a fully sealed drag as I like to be "in" the water with the fish a lot of times or walking the sand bars of nj I tend to get wet.  Looking at the lines of 3-tand also for a fully sealed drag.  I have been through a good amount of spinning reels and finally purchased a VS last year.  Wish I had of done that years ago instead of flushing money to corroded/grinding gears.  Why I want to stay above the partially sealed reel class.

i'll take a look at that book.  Great for winter reading