westhavendave

Van Staal VR200 line lay problem

13 posts in this topic

Had my VR spooled by a local shop with 300 yards of 50# Sufix 832 with dacron for backing. The line looked fine on the spool out of the shop, problem is over about two weeks the line lay on the spool has become cone shaped with the thicker part of the cone in the lower part of the spool. I believe this line lay is causing increasing wind knot problems as well. To attempt to remedy the problem, I dumped the spool in a field and reeled the entire thing back in, this caused the cone shaped to become even worse which leads me to think it is a reel based problem. Anyone else experience this type of issue, tried searching here but no luck, thanks.

i have a VR150 and had it spooled at the shop i purchased it at.  never had a line lay issue.  i have since changed out line on it and spooled it myself and have had no line lay issues at all.  could your spool not be seated properly?

This is why I like to spool spinning reels mounted on the rod and manually spooled. I have the Triangle HD140 for spooling reels big and small but with spinning reels it puts the line on the way it going to be when your fishing. I can fill the spool with the machine but you have shown exactly what happens.

The tension will also make the line do different things.

Posted (edited)

I had the same problem as the OP. Spoke to Craig at VS. He replaced the drag washers, said the originals were too thick.

Edited by tcarroll

When the spool sits on the shaft the drag washers have nothing to do with it. What’s inside the spool doesn’t change the height. 

This has me thinking as to what Craig said about the drag washers being to thick, l just cleaned and re-greased my drag but next time l will to see if that could be a problem being the drag stacks in from the back side of the spool washers to thick could push the spool forward making it stack the line to the rear, other then that my reel lay line on perfect.  

What is your tough on this  handi2

Posted (edited)

I double checked on the VR reel. Yes the drag washers in the bottom of the spool can make adjustments to the height of the spool.

In this case they should included different thickness drag washers to adjust the spool as they wear. They will get thinner over time with compression.

Edited by handi2

1 hour ago, handi2 said:

When the spool sits on the shaft the drag washers have nothing to do with it. What’s inside the spool doesn’t change the height. 

Wouldn't thinner washers let the spool sit further back on the shaft? That was what Craig made it seem like to me. 

3 minutes ago, handi2 said:

In this case they should included different thickness drag washers to adjust the spool as they wear. They will get thinner over time with compression.

He said they designed them a little thicker to allow for wear but made them a little too thick.

Posted (edited)

58 minutes ago, tcarroll said:

Wouldn't thinner washers let the spool sit further back on the shaft? That was what Craig made it seem like to me. 

Thinner washers would make the spool sit further back and would correct line lay or to thin and line lay would stack to the front of spool. 

Have to keep an eye on line lay as l start catching 50 ponders. :cool:

Edited by LB

VS has a video up on how to disassemble the VR spool and get to the washers. 

You could take each washer and manually fit them over the shaft to make sure each one seats properly.

Remember that there is a top and bottom stack on the VR.