fishoninct

Blackfish reports???

17 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Big Biscuit said:

Are you lost?

He is. I blame the beautiful hair.

VERY slow 10/14.  4 runts and tried many "Classic" spots in a well known area.  All boats reporting about the same.  SLOWWWWW.

I'd agree with Billybob.  TOn of action for me in one of my spots saturday, as soon as you dropped it down the fish were on it.  About 15 ft of water at the top of the rock pile.  Managed a couple nice whitechins to 6 lbs for dinner.  All the guys at my dock who said the fishing was really slow seemed to be using green crabs.  The guys who did well were using asian crabs... That may tell you something.  Gotta put in some work and find your own bait I think.  Sunday afternoon anchoring with the wind was really tough.  Found the fish in about 6 ft but could never get back on the structure properly after my anchor pulled the first time.

1 hour ago, Paul E said:

Should they still be available from shore- given a likely spot?

Absolutely, water's still warm probably low 60's they will be shallow til mid 50's anyway.

We were fishing in 10 -15 feet, pretty tight to shore at some spots.

Heading out tomorrow too.

Went out yesterday and fished a break wall in about 12-16 feet. Fishing was slow with just a couple shorts for first half of dropping tide - many boats anchored up and then left. Us being stubborn and shielded from the rough waters we decided to stay. The bite turned on and we ended with 3 keepers between two of us....biggest was just over 5#. Not a great day but at least we didn't get skunked. Also, the fish clearly preferred bigger crabs chopped in half as opposed to whole smaller crabs (even with shell cracked and/or removed.) 

Was out today with my buddy, and the first place we were at near shore, had no interest in our crabs. However we did see a seal nearby. In CT, guess these are harbor seals. It popped up several times, like po'ed we were in its spot. Maybe that's why the blackfish were scarce. Later fishing another area we scored about 30 fish, with 4 keepers. One of the shorts I caught had a deep wound near its dorsal fin, not something my hook would have done, I'm thinking a seal must have almost caught it but for the slippery blackfish slime. Looked like a canine bite mark. 

On 10/19/2017 at 5:19 AM, FlukeOff said:

Went out yesterday and fished a break wall in about 12-16 feet. Fishing was slow with just a couple shorts for first half of dropping tide - many boats anchored up and then left. Us being stubborn and shielded from the rough waters we decided to stay. The bite turned on and we ended with 3 keepers between two of us....biggest was just over 5#. Not a great day but at least we didn't get skunked. Also, the fish clearly preferred bigger crabs chopped in half as opposed to whole smaller crabs (even with shell cracked and/or removed.) 

I'm starting to notice I do best at my spots at a lower tide.  Either end of outgoing or beginning of incoming...