carp and koi

Rate this topic

bassturds

Im looking for my first 10lbs plus carp, got my first MA carp this past weekend, saw tons of them, only caught 2. i have caught them in NY but only small ones!  just looking for anyinfo i can get for big carp, pre baiting will be tough cuz the closest place is 1.15min away.   any koi spots around? would love to catch one

#4 treble hook.  Take a handful of wheaties and dunk them in water then squeeze and knead for a minute or so.  You can sweeten it up by putting in a little pancake syrup.  Mold around the treble hook and cast it out.  Don't need any weight. 

I think most koi are privately owned, in private ponds or garden type settings.  The owner would be pissed if you were catching his.  Although they are genetically carp there's been a lot of breeding to get the desired color patterns.

1. Go to a grocery store.

2. Buy 5-6 cans o'corn.

3. Buy jello.

4. Use jello mix to flavor corn.

5. Chum known carp waters with corn.

6. Using size two barbless single hook with a small split shot 6" up the line, bait up with corn.

7. Toss into chummed area and wait. It will not take long. 

I have taken carp to 30 pounds this way. I would use 12-15 pound line.

15 hours ago, tunez33 said:

what part of mass are you in?

Im in marshfield on the south shore. surprisingly not many carp spots around

12 hours ago, buz23 said:

#4 treble hook.  Take a handful of wheaties and dunk them in water then squeeze and knead for a minute or so.  You can sweeten it up by putting in a little pancake syrup.  Mold around the treble hook and cast it out.  Don't need any weight. 

I think most koi are privately owned, in private ponds or garden type settings.  The owner would be pissed if you were catching his.  Although they are genetically carp there's been a lot of breeding to get the desired color patterns.

ive seen pictures of wild koi that were released, i wouldnt go into a backyard pond.

10 hours ago, Running Ape said:

1. Go to a grocery store.

2. Buy 5-6 cans o'corn.

3. Buy jello.

4. Use jello mix to flavor corn.

5. Chum known carp waters with corn.

6. Using size two barbless single hook with a small split shot 6" up the line, bait up with corn.

7. Toss into chummed area and wait. It will not take long. 

I have taken carp to 30 pounds this way. I would use 12-15 pound line.

i was using creamed corn for chum and whole corn kernel on size 2 bait holder hook. had a few runs and caught 2 and a bullhead

2 hours ago, bassturds said:

Im in marshfield on the south shore. surprisingly not many carp spots around

ah sorry can't be much help then, going to say there's some monsters in blackstone if you're willing to travel, but its in RI. Was thinking you might have been more central Mass.

Edited by tunez33

There are carp in the Charles River (in virtually every stretch of it) as well as the Concord and Sudbury Rivers.

Probably some in the North River as well as the Indian Head River a well.

Carp are fun, but you HAVE to chum if you want to increase your chances. Otherwise you will find other fish will be picking your hooks clean.

I use canned corn, and have gotten carp well within (if not exceeding) the 20lb. range.

I have also caught sunfish, trout, bullheads and even snapping turtles on corn.

Although I have never fished for carp on the Sudbury River, I know there are some real monsters there.

I see their bubble trails and wakes when they get spooked, and they are HUGE.

I don't think anyone fishes for them, so they just keep getting bigger and bigger. A good "guess-timate" would say they were roughly 3 feet long and probably around the 30lb. mark. 

OH, and they jump! I have seen some impressive carp jumping, and had one jump in front of my kayak so that it splashed my when it landed.....10+ feet away!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

16 hours ago, woma said:

Green Hill Park Worcester. 

What he said.  When I was a kid, the city used to hold their annual carp fishing tourney at Green Hill Park.  My parents took me there, and I still recall the carp boiling in the water on bread people were throwing in. No doubt those fish are still there, whether fishing is allowed is another matter?

Also I believe the state's record carp may have been taken from Lake Quinsigamond.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Over 10.lbs should be easy. Pretty much using the right bait. Lot's of YouTube videos on rigs worth watching. 

The ri striper blogger has a carp blog too.

Finding koi takes scouting. They tend to get released into urban ponds and popular public destinations like Walden pond (where there used to be a half dozen big ones). Spring is a good time to scout as they tend to show themselves more.

Finding consistent big carp is much harder. A lot of the rivers are overpopulated with 5 - 15 lb fish. Difficult to pull a 40 or even a 20.

When you do find big carp, catching them is the challenge. Much harder to hook than the little ones. They'll drive you knuts swimming over your bait and not biting. 

A couple Ma carp from this year. 

FB_IMG_1507833988013.jpg

FB_IMG_1507833926382.jpg

1 minute ago, mikez2 said:

Over 10.lbs should be easy. Pretty much using the right bait. Lot's of YouTube videos on rigs worth watching. 

The ri striper blogger has a carp blog too.

Finding koi takes scouting. They tend to get released into urban ponds and popular public destinations like Walden pond (where there used to be a half dozen big ones). Spring is a good time to scout as they tend to show themselves more.

Finding consistent big carp is much harder. A lot of the rivers are overpopulated with 5 - 15 lb fish. Difficult to pull a 40 or even a 20.

When you do find big carp, catching them is the challenge. Much harder to hook than the little ones. They'll drive you knuts swimming over your bait and not biting. 

A couple Ma carp from this year. 

FB_IMG_1507833988013.jpg

FB_IMG_1507833926382.jpg

wow awesome carp, I WANT ONE OF THOSE!!!!!!!!!