Local24 SSP

Fishing eels...

35 posts in this topic

With all the talk in the reports thread about how to fish eels, I figured I'd start a thread dedicated to it. IMO, this is the best way to fish eels from beach/jetty. Fishing them live is a pain in the ass, there are better ways to do it. Some guys use lead heads, which if it works for them great. Using a tin squid is the way to do it, especially when your aiming for it to swim perfectly. I'll post a short video this weekend on how to rig them up. 

IMG_0559.JPG

I find live eels pretty easy to transport and fish. 

Riggies are very effective, but if I can get a live eel I'll take that over a rigged eel. 

To each his own. I fish em' alive from boat or kayak, but when I'm out on rocks I prefer 4-5 of them rigged up in a ziplock. 

my wife found a riggie in the freezer once, oh the look was priceless. Have to keep them well concealed and labeled now.

You just brought back a horrible memory...........

Ive seen plenty of videos on the different ways to rig eels. How are you guys fishing the riggies? I've seen their action in the water but never seen anyone working them.

With an eel squid, just cast and retrieve - you can vary it depending on conditions.

Without a squid, basically like a sluggo - cast, slow retrieve with a twitch every crank or two. 

12 hours ago, Sudsy said:

You just brought back a horrible memory...........

Just scrolled through that thread, guess I should be looking for my own fridge so my wife dosent change the rules on me one day in the future.  Sorry to hear about the tins.

Posted (edited)

It's what I did.....bought a small used freezer that I keep the thermo up a bit......keep my bait in there.

.....and This.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

1 hour ago, Fly By Nite said:

One or the other would work better depending on the spot

This. Plus conditions, need pretty much ideal conditions to fish live eels, a big fat riggy can be casted hard into a head wind and worked in a rough surf. That said if I can, I'm fishing the live eel 10/10 times.

The 3 bucket method works wonders for keeping them alive for extended periods of time. I'll keep the bucket in the truck, Grab half a dozen and put them in individual zip lock bags, stuff em in a bucktails pouch or something, have had them stay alive an entire tide in those bags.