HellRaY

$1000 rod and used

24 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Billy 40 said:

I Went and looked at the site mentioned above. They look nice for a factory rod. It's too bad I'm a peasant party boat fisherman, they guys making $300 per hour for a basic and peopel paying it, I might be able to hit the $10,000. But  nobody like wraps or grips, so Ill stick to making $1000 rods for party boats for teh paupers.

Billy it comes down to the blank. You make awesome rods, but think about this. If you built all your rods on higher grade blanks rather than $100 Rod Geeks you would not be able to sell them $400. For a US reference, its like buying a century surf blank. The blank cost $500 alone then add the labor you are looking at a $700-800 rod. Carpenter has been in the game for years and they are the most sought after rods and lures in pelagic fishing.

 

For Maven, I do believe they are nice rods. Every one has their opinion and I own one. Did I pay $1000 hell no and would I hell no. I think they are over priced but for the quality you get on some of the best blanks in the world and awesome craftsman ship. I own all the big companies, Maven, Carpenter, Ripple, Yamaga, and MC works. I would saw Carpenter trumps them when it comes to reliability on a blank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$100 blank, rod sells for $300

$800 blank sells for $1200

 

IT's 100% the market, I could build on expensive breaks but my customers aren't going to spend that much money on them. TEh labor to build a rod is the same work, regardless of materials. TEh people buying them are conditioned to pay more for them, so they can charge more for them. FLy rods, Offshore. And those are the most monkey see monkey do fishermen out there. SO getting into those markets is really difficult unless you have someone established and looked up to telling people to buy from you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, newportrockhopper said:

Billy it comes down to the blank. You make awesome rods, but think about this. If you built all your rods on higher grade blanks rather than $100 Rod Geeks you would not be able to sell them $400. For a US reference, its like buying a century surf blank. The blank cost $500 alone then add the labor you are looking at a $700-800 rod. Carpenter has been in the game for years and they are the most sought after rods and lures in pelagic fishing.

 

no blank costs $500 , it doesnt matter what graphite or resin you use. perhaps if you import a self healing carbon fiber from pandora and reinforce unobtanium with adamantium maybe you're looking at $300. don't fall for that BS.

i import japanese blanks, i believe i am the only small shop in the US with access to japanese blanks, no high end blank is $500 not even close. century has been raping you up the azz.

Edited by HellRaY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not saying I pay that money for blanks, I am just saying the price of rod blanks has increased a lot. It is easy to find a $400-500 blank today. CTS and Century are just examples. I am not here argue just stating facts. end of story Japanese tackle is expensive even in Japan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, newportrockhopper said:

 $400-500 blank today. CTS and Century are just examples. 

lmao, seriously? and surf people fall for that? 

wonder how many hands are in the cookie jar.

Edited by HellRaY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, newportrockhopper said:

 end of story Japanese tackle is expensive even in Japan.

if you're paying retail, yes.

Edited by HellRaY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2017 at 7:36 AM, HellRaY said:

century has been raping you up the azz.

When Century came on the market, the 10-foot S1 stealth had an MSRP of something like $170. I grabbed one for $125, cash, which to me suggests (though I admit that I don't know this for sure) that the true wholesale cost, what it cost the importer to buy it, was under a hundred bucks. This wasn't that long ago -- I think it was about 3 or 4 years ago (I just finished building that rod, and 3 or 4 years is about par for me :D).
 

The same blank now has an MSRP of something like $335. The exchange rate hasn't changed that much; I'm presuming that the materials and labor cost have increased that much -- so where is all that extra money going? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2017 at 7:57 AM, HellRaY said:

lmao, seriously? and surf people fall for that? 

wonder how many hands are in the cookie jar.

not as may as you think, but one is a big greedy hand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2017 at 10:50 PM, Belmo said:

When Century came on the market, the 10-foot S1 stealth had an MSRP of something like $170. I grabbed one for $125, cash, which to me suggests (though I admit that I don't know this for sure) that the true wholesale cost, what it cost the importer to buy it, was under a hundred bucks. This wasn't that long ago -- I think it was about 3 or 4 years ago (I just finished building that rod, and 3 or 4 years is about par for me :D).
 

The same blank now has an MSRP of something like $335. The exchange rate hasn't changed that much; I'm presuming that the materials and labor cost have increased that much -- so where is all that extra money going? 

Just noticed how much the blanks have jumped in price as well. Damn near double what I remembered a few years back on the SS models too. Priced themselves out of my league and evidently screwing the new customers willing to pay the new rates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now