Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ed White

VS200B pinion gear/main transmision assembly questions

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

My buddy and I both have VS200's of approximately the same age, mine has a slightly loose rotor and his is way too tight, the bearing on his hardly turns and you can feel a distinct click every 90 degrees of rotation. (Part # 5J on this drawing).

VS200 drawing

My question is, can the pinion gear be removed from the shaft to allow replacement of the bearing (and seal while we're at it)? Any special tools required to remove the pinion? We had the assembly out tonight and wound up just reinstalling it once we knew what was making his so tight. I'm a 30+ year truck mechanic with a big box full of tools, and I know how to use most of them :wee:, so I'm reasonably able to fix stuff. The reel is pretty simple, but like all things, some knowledge goes a long way.....the brass tube that the gear is on looks a little delicate. If I have to replace the entire assembly, that's easy enough, but I'll bet it's pricey.

If anyone here has done this before, I'd love to hear how it's done

Edited by TimS
Link removed

The pinion gear is screwed onto the delicate shaft. It's threaded backwards from the direction the spool turns. Sometimes you can unscrew it with plastic jawed pliers. I have been lucky twice this way. 

Its just nuts and bolts so you can get it done. If not send it off to Fishermans Headquarters.

Thanks for the info handi2, turns out it is threaded, and is a left hand thread, just need to find some parts now

Were are you located,  like handi2 said Fishermans Headquarters has most of the parts, ask for Lou.