Reed422

Two Piece Rod Stuck

32 posts in this topic

I had the same problem a couple months back and asked for help on another forum. I ended up wrapping an ice pack around the male side and hit the female side with a hair dryer. It came right apart. 

There was another method I was told that was given by a fellow who has more experience in his little finger than I can ever expect to have. If it works for you, you can just send out a thanks to Mr. Farmer. He posted this.....

Go to the hardware store and buy a can of "spray air" used for keyboard cleaning.

Shake it up, invert the can and spray the joint down with the aerosol propellant. Be careful with your fingers, VERY COLD!! Grip with a pair of industrial grip gloves and pull apart. Works on the toughest stuck rods.

Posted (edited)

Please don't use any lubricant, oil or solvent on your graphite/carbon fiber. Bad idea.

You could try the ice thing again and leave it for a good while, maybe an hour. I would maybe first try the opposite and leave it in the sun. You have a vacuum in the ferrule now because the water vapor inside has cooled and contracted. You basically need to return the "environment" inside the stuck ferrule to match the conditions you had when you put the rod together. What user "Hikes run" wrote above is the right idea. Heat the vapor inside with the hair dryer or sun, try taking apart - if it doesn't work, apply ice to the male side ONLY. Again you don't want that vapor in there to cool and contract so really make sure the ice isn't touching the top "female" section of the rod. 

If that fails you can try one other thing. You need a swimming pool, or I suppose you could use the bay/ocean. Just get that rod fully submerged and leave it underwater for a while. Half an hour, maybe a whole hour. The idea here is that the water will stabilize the temperature of the rod and the trapped vapor and begin to draw out/mix with that vapor in the join. Try twisting and pulling after it's been in there a while. Don't use the guides for leverage. (I think that's obvious but you'd be surprised at some people's intelligence levels)

If that doesn't work then you may be SOL. You have a one piece now. At least for the time being, it may come apart a few months down the line once the dry weather of winter sets in.

Edited by TheNapeaguePissMan

NO lubricant, tho Tommy's coolant may work -- the ice thing does.

Also drill a small hole in the bottom of the butt thingy - will help equalize the pressure.

Shouldn't hurt to fish it, it may just come apart after yr next trip re what TNPMan says ...

Lick around the edge of the female hole!!! No better lube then human saliva. Worst case, you are now the proud owner of a 1327 one piece.

Posted (edited)

I ruined the top half of my Century Stealth last year trying to pry it apart.  I used most the above methods for days with no luck I didn't try the pool idea and the inverted aeresol can.  Fortunately I was able to get a new top half.  Good luck and be patient (I wasn't). 

Edited by YakDawg

Posted (edited)

Bag of ice over the male end  for a little while and right before you pull use a hair drier lightly over the female end. With grippy pads just to people grab each end and twist and pull in opposite directions. 

I've taken apart hundreds of centuries at shows if grippy pads alone don't work that's how i do it. I couldn't go near the rod with a wrench or any vice grip. It's a thin wall blank rod. Could make a fixable situation into an unfixable one . 

If you've tried everything and it still won't work call ryan white @ hatteras jacks. 

Edited by FinS 32

45 minutes ago, Reed422 said:

I'll just use it as a one piece until it comes apart

Good idea, it will probably come apart while you are fighting a 40.

5 minutes ago, CharlieK said:

Good idea, it will probably come apart while you are fighting a 40.

I sense a tone

9 minutes ago, FinS 32 said:

Bag of ice over the female end  for a little while and right before you pull use a hair drier lightly over the male end. With grippy pads just to people crap and end and twist and pull in opposite directions. 

I've taken apart hundreds of centuries at shows if trippy pads alone don't work that's how i do it. I couldn't go near the 4od with a wrench or any vice grip. It's a thin wall blank rod. Could make a fixable situation into an unfixable one . 

If you've tried everything and it still won't work call ryan white @ hatteras jacks. 

sounds like a plan - I'll try it again!

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, Reed422 said:

Bag of ice over the female end  for a little while and right before you pull use a hair drier lightly over the male end. With grippy pads just to people crap and end and twist and pull in opposite directions. 

lsn't that back wards, but if it works let use know.

Edited by LB

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, LB said:

lsn't that back wards, but if it works let use know.

Yes. That was my quote. That's what happens when I go on all at work. I get things confused haha

Edited by FinS 32

Yes, that's backwards. Ice the male end and heat the female end. This is one time in your life you want the female part larger than the male part. :eek:

Get a good grip on each section behind your knees - then spread them. 

I have a CPS 13 that gets stuck... I mean really stuck even after a good cleaning trying to find the “burr” - it took two of us and I was putting pressure on one of the guides to try to twist it apart. We got it apart, but I worry about next time. 

Any good preventative medicines ?