The million candle power head lamps never turned off phenomenon....

Rate this topic

mikez2

...is not limited to newbie surf casters.

Apparently the weekend campground crowd has discovered them. Everyone wears them, leaves em on all the time and shines them in your eyes whenever possible. 

At night the place looked like watch hill on a October weekend with all the high beams crisscrossing. 

I startled a lady on the path to the bathroom when I loomed out of the dark into her high beam. Her husband asked me in a snooty voice why I had no light, as if I snuck up on purpose. These people afraid of the dark don't understand how the bright headlamp blinds them to anything outside the beam. If I wanted to sneak up on someone, I'd pick someone wearing the brightest headlamp.

In the site next to mine were two women alone (separate tents you pervs). They kept their highbeams on all evening sitting around the fire. I think I might have made them nervous sitting alone in the dark by the fire after my kid went to sleep. Every few minutes one would look over in my direction and her high beam would go back and forth across my site like a search light until finally she'd spot me and blind me. 

I'm only telling this boring story because surf casters will understand. 

my pet peeve

"no, I am not afraid of the dark, so please point that effing light somewhere other than into my eyes."

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

15 hours ago, bdowning said:

Leaving headlamps on all night is the new normal. As is scanning the shore with them to see if anyone is catching.

-bd

You know what?  Get one of those strong laser pointer things and shoot them with it...maybe they will take the hint...

The Great Big Jig in the Sky...Shine on you crazy diamond jig.

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg

7 hours ago, basenjib123 said:

I have learned to never underestimate the stupidity of people.

And we're getting more stupider.  There are fewer and fewer parents that actually can teach there kids  useful things.  Im not just talking about hunting and fishing... that's true.. but other stuff.

What kid now knows anything like:

#What's the difference between a two stroke and a four stroke engine and why is the fuel different?

#whats the difference between voktage, wattage and amperage?

#what is Romex....whats 12/3 mean? What's equipment ground?

Here's a good one....ask a kid, or any adult, which way is north.  And now, which way ia east and west?

#what are the three basic elements that all plants need....found in fertilizer and in nature....?

#Whats a nor easter?

#Make a bowline, a half hitch and a tautline hitch

#How do you sharpen an axe?

#How many time zones are in the US?

#Point to Europe on a map.

Very few people know anything anymore.  And thry dont teach kids anything.  And the kids go to college not even knowing which way is north, can't fry an egg and cant point to the battery in a car.  Its pathetic.

So its surprising that they dont understand night vision?  They hardly know when night is going to occur.

The Great Big Jig in the Sky...Shine on you crazy diamond jig.

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg

3 hours ago, blackdogfish said:

You know what?  Get one of those strong laser pointer things and shoot them with it...maybe they will take the hint...

This may be a very effective solution for the canal.

Even though a majority of guys there now fish all night with lamps on, they're usually pointed downward and generally not blinding to those fishing the other side.

But not all.

Last year 2 chiefs on the opposite bank had the million candlepower setups and continuously had them beaming around & pointed horizontally--not only lighting me up to noontime but partially blinding me. Took like 5 sessions fast clicking my headlamp straight at them til they got the hint. Would have been quicker with a laser. Like those eyemelting Class-4 burning lasers..

Laser.jpg.125ac2582304bbccd41ff6d5b631b187.jpg

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

23 hours ago, bdowning said:

Leaving headlamps on all night is the new normal. As is scanning the shore with them to see if anyone is catching.

-bd

i like the guys that leave their redlights on the entire time. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.