scoobydoo

Heads up. Daiwa is changing how they size their reels.

68 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

From what I've read it will start with the new Ballistic.

4k looks to be Shimano 4k sized.

6k as well  (although capacities are way off on the site...saying the 6k ballistic has Dogfight capacities)

Looks like the new 6k ballistic may come in at under 12 ounces???  Hmmmm

Hoping Shipwreck can confirm.  :wave:

Edited by scoobydoo

Man, Shimano can complicate everything. All they need are 10 oz, 15 oz, 20oz and up.

Don't have a clue but the Daiwa Ballistic is a solid reel but Imlike mymCanyon spinners just as well for less $$$$$'s seem to,hold up,very well ! 

Daiwa's new concept is L/T.  Light Tough

They have toughened up the internals, but mostly they have modified thier spool widths, lips and weight.  They have also dropped the body size a bit.  The 6000 seems very small.  I cant wait to put the boots to it.  Also the new Legalis and Excelers are now made of the same carbon as Ci4 reels, at $69 and $79 respectively.  Amazing.  Check out the new Tatuala spinners too.  

Oh and they have 1000 sizes now.  :)

Posted (edited)

38 minutes ago, Shipwreck said:

Also the new Legalis and Excelers are now made of the same carbon as Ci4 reels, at $69 and $79 respectively. 

Are all the LT reels made of the same carbon as Ci4 reels? They all appear to be very light.

Edited by Baitbucket

No the Ballistic and the Tatula are made out of Ziaon which is much stiffer than Ci4.  The Fuego, Exceler, and Legalis have the same type of carbon as Ci4.  I am sure its not identical, but its dang close.

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Shipwreck said:

No the Ballistic and the Tatula are made out of Ziaon which is much stiffer than Ci4.  The Fuego, Exceler, and Legalis have the same type of carbon as Ci4.  I am sure its not identical, but its dang close.

Interesting.. I wonder how they cast compared to the Shimanos. Ive been eyeing the 4k Stradic Ci4+ for a while now. Will be interesting to see how these compare. Ive heard nightmares about the Magsealing they use, so ill probably stay away from those lines of reels.

Edited by Baitbucket

3 minutes ago, Baitbucket said:

Interesting.. I wonder how they cast compared to the Shimanos. Ive been eyeing the 4k Stradic Ci4+ for a while now. Will be interesting to see how these compare. Ive heard nightmares about the Magsealing they use, so ill probably stay away from those lines of reels.

Magseals don't like being submerged, but they can do everything and more in the surf.  Sold my ZB as I don't swim anymore.  As far as landing a fish in the surf, the saltist has been all I needed.  

5 minutes ago, Baitbucket said:

Then the Tatula would be for you.  Its a Ballistic without the oil.

As for MagSeal, I have been using is since day one without an issue, but I dont get to fish as much as I would like.  Most people do not like it because it is difficult to service your reel yourself.  I dont do reel teardowns so it does not affect me.  I also hear people who take the 'sealed' part too literally and use it like a ZB, Torque or VS.  It will fail under those circumstances.  You can not have a 'partially' sealed reel.  It either is or it isnt.  Having a shielded reel is like having a shielded condom in my opinion.

1 minute ago, hunt for blueessss said:

Magseals don't like being submerged, but they can do everything and more in the surf.  

It has more to do with servicing the mag sealed reels.

Per Alan Hawk:

Since 2010 Daiwa has been equipping some of their reels with mag-seals, which are basically a circular magnet that fits around the part that needs to be sealed, and in the little space between them a special fluid (ferrofluid) is suspended in the magnetic field. Daiwa though never made that fluid available for sale, which forces fishermen to service any reel that has a mag-seal only at Daiwa's official/authorised service centres. They would then struggle to send their reels overseas to get them serviced by Daiwa's authorised centres, including in many cases having to pay customs duties when the reels came back into the country.

1 minute ago, Baitbucket said:

It has more to do with servicing the mag sealed reels.

Per Alan Hawk:

Since 2010 Daiwa has been equipping some of their reels with mag-seals, which are basically a circular magnet that fits around the part that needs to be sealed, and in the little space between them a special fluid (ferrofluid) is suspended in the magnetic field. Daiwa though never made that fluid available for sale, which forces fishermen to service any reel that has a mag-seal only at Daiwa's official/authorised service centres. They would then struggle to send their reels overseas to get them serviced by Daiwa's authorised centres, including in many cases having to pay customs duties when the reels came back into the country.

:th: