Maritime63

Lead prices.

22 posts in this topic

On 10/10/2017 at 11:54 PM, cashews121 said:

What are they using lead for in construction?

They used to use sheet lead for shower pans, so when you renovate an old bathroom with a shower, you'll often come across a good haul. I took home 44 lbs from a single shower pan in the spring. That should last me a while. I just use it in lure making and for bucktails. 

Also, as said before, it's used for flashing too. I'm pretty sure finding lead pipe is getting harder. 

On 10/10/2017 at 11:54 PM, cashews121 said:

What are they using lead for in construction?

They used to use sheet lead for shower pans, so when you renovate an old bathroom with a shower, you'll often come across a good haul. I took home 44 lbs from a single shower pan in the spring. That should last me a while. I just use it in lure making and for bucktails. 

Also, as said before, it's used for flashing too. I'm pretty sure finding lead pipe is getting harder. 

If you're melting lead pipe be extremely careful when adding it to already molten lead. It's best to not even do it, just start the pipe from scratch and pour off into ingots once melted without adding any more. 

Any moisture inside the pipe is VERY bad when added to molten lead. 

24 minutes ago, Eagles Dare said:

If you're melting lead pipe be extremely careful when adding it to already molten lead. It's best to not even do it, just start the pipe from scratch and pour off into ingots once melted without adding any more. 

Any moisture inside the pipe is VERY bad when added to molten lead. 

This is pretty important. Moisture can be trapped in the pipe.  Also, air pockets can cause the same problem as well. 

I can usually find Lead Cannon Balls used or broken at garage sales around fishing ports, just another outlet to go look at.