Maritime63

Lead prices.

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Scrap price for pure lead ingots around here is about 75-85 cents a pound. Buying retail from a metal supplier probably about 2.00 a pound. 

Edited by Cfinnely68

Zero. i wait til i get it for free. sooner or later i'm able to come up with some.

I usually pay over a dollar a pound for clean lead ingots - mostly range lead. I like the firmness range lead for certain lures, but pure lead will make a smoother finish coming out of the mold.

You really have to know someone to get it for free (like someone who works in construction) that's the best way to go. I have used sheet lead, lead pipe, even lead bricks. Keep your eyes open you will come across some. 

If you can't find any locally there's a bunch on Ebay for around $1.25/lb.  

1 hour ago, Maritime63 said:

I guess I need to make more friends then Hahahah 

that's the best way. i always have an eye out, even if i don't currently 'need' it. it can sit around for a while since it never goes bad...

Construction bizz! :th:

My pop does construction and I bought a sinkers mold last year and I never have to dish out 20$ or so a year for lead sinkers anymore.

27 minutes ago, Frozenbarb said:

Construction bizz! :th:

My pop does construction and I bought a sinkers mold last year and I never have to dish out 20$ or so a year for lead sinkers anymore.

What are they using lead for in construction?

5 hours ago, cashews121 said:

What are they using lead for in construction?

It comes out of a lot of stuff.  Pipes, flashing, etc.   Construction guys come across it.  

Range lead at near someplace that has a high % of shotgun/ML only is a good start.  Larger projectiles and they tend towards pure in many cases.  

Believe it or not a HS or middle school is worth asking.  They may well have it in their cabinets from science classes and lead is incredibly dangerous (haha) and they may be glad to get rid of it.   

ALso, just mention it ot people.  You I'm shocked at what some people just have in their garages.  

I'm a contractor and I used to save the lead trimmings and scrap for the reload guys at the club but they are gone now so since I've just tossed it. I'll save it up again and post when I have a few 5 gal. buckets if anyone is interested again. Mostly lead flashing. Location is central MA but I work and fish all over.