ScottO

Planning your winter trip to florida?

7 posts in this topic

If you are in the planning phase for your winter trips to florida I am going to ask you to do me a favor.  My second "home" is on the island of chokoloskee.  As you may have heard both chokoloskee and everglades city were decimated by irma.  Here is where you come in.  They have busted their nuts to make the area accessible again.  Restaurants are opening, guides are guiding but the infrastructure is still rough.  85% of homes uninhabitable.  If you could make it a point to take part of your vacation as a trip to EC for a meal or the havana cafe on chokoloskee for a meal, or maybe hire a guide for the the day or do an eco-tour or an airboat trip(yuk) from that area you will be doing more than you could ever imagine.  I have recommendations but will hold off unless pm'd.  What I am hoping is that you support the area in some way.  Come down and spend a few bucks.  Give people here something to work with so they can get back on their feet.  Everglades City, Chokoloskee are open for business.  Try the area out.  You may find you really like it!  I did!  EC and Choko are about 40 minutes from naples and marco, 90 minutes from fort meyer, 4 hours from Orlando, 100 minutes from Miami or Fort Lauderdale.  4 hours door to door from marathon to chokoloskee.  Thanks for considering it, good on you for doing it!!!

Man, that's rough. I don't get over there but if business takes me to the west coast and I have time, I will keep this request in mind. 

Good luck to you and your neighbors. 

The everglades are an estuary.  Shark, Snook, Reds, Tarpon, Trout, Snapper, Grouper.  Off shore - a couple of miles, all the previous and Permit, Cobia to name a few.  Typical Florida stuff without the crowds.  Yak fishing in choko bay can be terrific.  Fall and winter mostly reds, trout, some snook, some poon's.

On 10/9/2017 at 1:42 PM, ScottO said:

The everglades are an estuary.  Shark, Snook, Reds, Tarpon, Trout, Snapper, Grouper.  Off shore - a couple of miles, all the previous and Permit, Cobia to name a few.  Typical Florida stuff without the crowds.  Yak fishing in choko bay can be terrific.  Fall and winter mostly reds, trout, some snook, some poon's.

Without the crowds, sounds nice, I can get with that, though I won't be back in Florida until this coming Spring, but will keep the place in mind.

How is shore access for shore anglers?

Not a lot of shore in choko and EC, but the canals can be a lot of fun running along 41 from naples to miami.  Can rent kayaks in EC and if interested I can show you some pretty productive fishing spots just across the bay.  Can rent at the ranger station in EC as well.  Shoot straight across work the far shore line/mangrove islands.  Should be a fun and productive day.  Most important thing out there is to be sure water is moving.