To Be or Not To Be (a gun owner), that’s the Question

Rate this topic

FunkyColdMedina

Here's my take on this.  If you are going to have a gun, you have to make the gun part of your life.

What i mean is you have to educate yourself on laws federally and in your state.  

How are you going to store it?  Chambered?  

How heavy is the safe?  

Is the ammo in a separate container?

Do you have children or grandkids coming by?

etc...etc.

With that said, you have to think of every possibility of how you store it/access it for every possible scenario in the house.  

Then you have to practice, practice practice, not only shooting, but safety.  You are never 100% safe enough.

Realize this, you are NOT qualified for combat and combat mode, you will have fear, etc.

Then if you need to use your weapon, make sure it's for self defence.....say you went to bed early, you might not realize that your daughter has a friend who's 6'5" and was hanging out with her and had to go to the bathroom upstairs which is by your bedroom and came out with his his hood on over his head at 11 pm and you thought he was an intruder.

The other thing I would advise on is a strobe light flashlight and a red dot pointer. Ideally , If these are both on the gun, you can stop an intruder to make him GET OUT which should be the goal, not to shoot first/ask questions later.  That can be way more effective than a gun.

If you plan on owning a gun, do not do it for the false sense of security, but to master it and use it if you have to.  

The one who coined and copyrighted the term "mine"........

For the record, bats and clubs when menaced with or applied to human flesh, are deadly weapons just like a knife or gun.

:v:

"I came into this world naked, screaming at the top of my lungs, and covered in someone else's blood. I got no problem leaving it that way."
Who can hope to be safe? Who sufficiently cautious? Guard himself as he may, every moment's an ambush. Horace

Just often looked at very differently in today’s court of law..... the scales of justice are not balanced on this though the scenarios may of had a similar ending. Lot of difference standing in a civil liability court justifying a defensive use of force using a Callaway than a full blown civilian M4 look alike semi with a 30 rd clip.

Edited by Jim DE

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:23 PM, FunkyColdMedina said:

So I have always thought that owning a gun/weapon would endanger my family more than protect my family? With all the craziness in this world, I’m starting to reconsider that philosophy.  

My true question: is not having a gun for protecting my home making us more vulnerable? Thoughts?

No offense, seriously, but this seems like a stupid thread. You certainly don't sound like someone that should have a gun. Just my 2 cents.

14 hours ago, glos said:

there should be obligatory thing that all kids - people from 16 years and older should carry guns all the time

it would reduce all crimes and violence to fractions of what is today

This is already going on in, Chicage, Detroit, Camden, Trenton, LA ,etc etc :laugh:

On 10/23/2017 at 9:20 PM, Andy B said:

No offense, seriously, but this seems like a stupid thread. You certainly don't sound like someone that should have a gun. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Andy. A guy asks a honest question and you are kind enough to comment.  Very helpful

Keep em locked but accessible in case you need them.

Start your kids young. My two boys started with range training in the back yard when they were little starting with airsoft guns, then moving up to BB guns, then finally at the range with the real thing.

They don't even talk about them outside the house, no one needs to know.

Because gun safety is something we've taken very seriously from when they were kids it's something I've never had to worry about. Plus it's good to know that if something terrible was ever to happen they have my back.

Actually I may have my younger sons back, he's a natural talent, a hell of a good shot (Ask Jimmy Breeze ;))

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

I've been a gun owner since I was 13 , My grandfather saw to it that I was taught the rules, safety,and responsibility that goes along with having deadly force at your disposal,

Start with your local gun club or range, take the classes, learn, Become a member of the NRA ,

Remember you are the only one that's going to save your family or your self if needed, Cop's won't get their in time, But they'll write the report after it happens.

Got my LTC a few months back. Went and spoke with the armory guys at a local range and am going to schedule 1:1 time with an instructor to shoot different firearms, decide what to purchase, learn more about safety/concealed carry, maintenance, etc. 

They told me instructors really like educating new gun owners on the right way to be a firearm owner as opposed to teaching people to break bad habits.