mybeach

Condo Remodel 2017 - So it begins

39 posts in this topic

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

1BR 1BA Galley kitchen, balcony lanai.

800 sq ft give or take a few.

BEFORE:

59d6f81db2e61_SKRemodel0.JPG.338af2f86fa5063aeea2a4b68aee9810.JPG

59d6f81f4fd80_SKRemodel1.JPG.4c68f4c69793ea86a5c10615cc2a0ca3.JPG

59d6f820e0b81_SKRemodel2.JPG.60a6b85812bd7cdae24033a110c22883.JPG

59d6f82438a92_SKRemodel4.JPG.cb3ae2fa466b786bd6c178de27dc3db9.JPG59d6f8260354d_SKRemodel5.JPG.cc8c21441e5a3262440dd71450baa785.JPG

SK Remodel3.JPG

Great view.  Makes that apartment look a lot better than the same place looks in Edison NJ.

In all my years never seen that hidden in a wall before. 1/2 wood framing, half metal framing,and conduit????

Stove area plumbing and electrical should be fun to redo.

8 minutes ago, J Adams said:

In all my years never seen that hidden in a wall before. 1/2 wood framing, half metal framing,and conduit????

Stove area plumbing and electrical should be fun to redo.

What he said ^^^^

But then, there's always an Easter Egg in each job. Sometimes they are rotten.

Kaua'i built, J. 1969.

The stuff standing there at attention isn't too bad. I can relocate that to a new wall facing the living room.

Telephone might be a bit tricky.

The 50 amp /30 amp circuits are staying right where they are, I'm just reversing the position.

The plumbing is poorly designed on the sink side and on the w/d side, but it works.

There are common vents and waste (standpipe/etc) stacks in the w/d wall (you can see iron pipe in the picture) that will remain were they are.

The black water waste is at the other wall in the bathroom not being touched at this time.

As far as I know talking to the manager dude, is that the phone stuff is common as well.

Coordinating outages is pain in the ass, but now that the demo is nearly complete, I have  much better idea what I am up against.

I already have flooring en route, and the cabinets hitting the schedule soon in Washington.

The half walls will remain where they are, the tile wall you see will be extended into the living room to house the washer/dryer. That current one is coming down and being redone.

I'm also going to fur out the window wall so I can route more electric around the counters and the upper cabinets on that wall.

That wall is solid filled CMU, and the plumbing is DWV for the kitchen sink only. It has a funky bend at the left corner where the waste passes through the interior wall on the left.

I'm probably going to have to modify the drawer stack that's going in that spot.

The plumbing forces the cabinets into the center of the room by 4 inches, so furring out the upper wall 2 inches is not too obtrusive.

The counters on that wall will be 29.5 inches wide because of that. Which, of course, forced the need for 2 slabs.

I can probably avoid modifying the drawer stack if I replace that iron waste pipe with a proper elbow and run of PVC, same as the vent.

As long as I have that wall apart, I can do that easily. No common pipes there. 

It does seem that the cold water is common, but the hot is not, which makes sense since I have a water heater in the closet.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, mybeach said:

Kaua'i built, J. 1969.

The stuff standing there at attention isn't too bad. I can relocate that to a new wall facing the living room.

Telephone might be a bit tricky.

The 50 amp /30 amp circuits are staying right where they are, I'm just reversing the position.

The plumbing is poorly designed on the sink side and on the w/d side, but it works.

There are common vents and waste (standpipe/etc) stacks in the w/d wall (you can see iron pipe in the picture) that will remain were they are.

The black water waste is at the other wall in the bathroom not being touched at this time.

As far as I know talking to the manager dude, is that the phone stuff is common as well.

Coordinating outages is pain in the ass, but now that the demo is nearly complete, I have  much better idea what I am up against.

I already have flooring en route, and the cabinets hitting the schedule soon in Washington.

The half walls will remain where they are, the tile wall you see will be extended into the living room to house the washer/dryer. That current one is coming down and being redone.

I'm also going to fur out the window wall so I can route more electric around the counters and the upper cabinets on that wall.

That wall is solid filled CMU, and the plumbing is DWV for the kitchen sink only. It has a funky bend at the left corner where the waste passes through the interior wall on the left.

I'm probably going to have to modify the drawer stack that's going in that spot.

The plumbing forces the cabinets into the center of the room by 4 inches, so furring out the upper wall 2 inches is not too obtrusive.

The counters on that wall will be 29.5 inches wide because of that. Which, of course, forced the need for 2 slabs.

Sounds like you have it about figured out,wish I was there to lend a hand I like those tricky ones they seem to make the next ones seem easy. Looks like  that's Poipu looking west towards Makahuena it's been a while on that side though.

Keep up the good work

Edited by J Adams

My wife said

Only renovation she will do is

maybe

to put two new chairs on that balcony.

I would add 6 pack of Spaten Octoberfest, probably 12 pack.

That's it

View.JPG

Spaten.png

Thanks for the memories of Spaten draught and Berentzen Golden Apple at Eddie Volks at the Battery. Good times man. Many moons ago.

On 10/7/2017 at 0:17 PM, Ben Lippen said:

What he said ^^^^

But then, there's always an Easter Egg in each job. Sometimes they are rotten.

Gotta remember, this is a pre-stressed concrete slab on each floor of the building. The conduit was installed pre-pour to run the wiring (I'm assuming). All of the other wiring is either routed externally or on the partition walls only.

They created external wiring when Cable TV was added. :eek: