archer292

slammer III

18 posts in this topic

The traverse always makes a slight click feel as it changes direction. I feel this with many different brand reels, not just Penn. It’s also normal.  Also, on top of the traverse, what you might be experiencing, is a slight line slap on the collector gear of your rod. I have a 4500 and the 5500 Slammer 3’s, and depending on the rod I choose, I get some line slap when reeling very fast. To some, this may be perceived as a rough retrieve. I have to say, these reels are awesome, and they are so damn smooth. When I crank these reels I can feel the quality of the brass gears. It just feel tough, and it’s a different feeling than you get from the pot metal gears of the SSV’s. I’m very impressed so far! 

Definitely not line slap that I am feeling.  Have a good grease to recomend? The 3500 has performed well on some albies and a few small bass and blues. 

I would just stick with the Penn blue grease. Works well for me. Not sure if you opened up your reel yet, but I think you are going to be surprised how much Penn greases these reels up. Unlike Shimano or Daiwa  reels which are pretty much dry when shipped, the Penns the past few years are oozing grease...lol. I’d bet it’s already loaded with grease.  I wouldn’t worry to much about the roughness you are feeling when reeling under load. Its probably normal. The brass gears in the Slammer definitely give a different sensation while reeling then other reel models made with the zinc gears. Let us know how you make out.