archer292

slammer III

18 posts in this topic

I have two of these reels 3500 and 4500. Both reels feel very smooth when not under a load but as soon as there is a load on either reel that changes. I have two buddies with slammers and they are experiencing the same thing. Is there a fix???

I've got a 6500 and noticed the same thing. It's hard to describe but doesn't feel the same under a load, not terrible just not as smooth.

Posted (edited)

Archer,

This is the first I am hearing of it, I will pass the info on to our Engineers.  Any reel will feel different when you crank against a drag, we just need to figure out if what you are feeling is normal or not.

tony

Edited by PENN Fishing

1 hour ago, tcarroll said:

I've got a 6500 and noticed the same thing. It's hard to describe but doesn't feel the same under a load, not terrible just not as smooth.

Does the speed of the retrieve make a difference for you also? Seems burning it and super slow it is less noticeable but on a moderate steady retrieve and the feeling is there. . Hard to describe, definitely not terrible but there.  

51 minutes ago, archer292 said:

Does the speed of the retrieve make a difference for you also? Seems burning it and super slow it is less noticeable but on a moderate steady retrieve and the feeling is there. . Hard to describe, definitely not terrible but there.  

Moderate steady is when I notice it most but that's when I'm paying the most attention.   

I am awaiting a reply but am starting to think it is just a characteristic of the reel. I had a few other users tell me the same.

Cranking under a load will put the most stress on the gear system - if there's any play in there, you'll feel it most under load. As PENN stated, it's impossible to tell whether what you are feeling is normal or not as it's impossible to tell exactly what you are feeling. I don't know of any reels that feel exactly the same under a load and not under a load. The more of a load, the more likely there is to be a different feeling.

Are you cranking under enough load to make the drag slip?

Not under a load to make the drag slip, just some tension from any lure actually. It is kind of a slight thumping, on my reels it seems that it is when the spool is at its highest then lowest. I have spoken to a few others that seem to feel the same thing and I have two, a 3500 and 4500 that feel the same. I was wondering if it was something that could be adjusted out with shims or washers. 

3 hours ago, archer292 said:

Not under a load to make the drag slip, just some tension from any lure actually. It is kind of a slight thumping, on my reels it seems that it is when the spool is at its highest then lowest. I have spoken to a few others that seem to feel the same thing and I have two, a 3500 and 4500 that feel the same. I was wondering if it was something that could be adjusted out with shims or washers. 

Crosswind block might need some grease. Usually that thump and or knock at the the top and bottom of the spool cycle comes from there, usually.

16 hours ago, ORourke said:

Crosswind block might need some grease. Usually that thump and or knock at the the top and bottom of the spool cycle comes from there, usually.

Agreed.

21 hours ago, archer292 said:

That sounds like that the traverse came switching direction.

I'd say about half the reels out there with that design (which is about 90%) have some sort of perceived bump at the top and bottom of of the oscillation cycle.

Some companies even add an o ring to absorb the impact

A good heavy and sticky grease can and will tone it down some.  But it may come back

I'm not sure thumping or knocking is the right way to describe it. I fished it today, it happens when the spool is just about to hit the top of the cycle and then just before the bottom. Actually feels like line falling off of itself. More than one slight thump or tap in succession.