Seals release on East Beach (again!)

Rate this topic

jayp195

WTF?  Mystic Aquarium again released seals on East Beach today.  I understand they're Harbor seals, not gray seals, and maybe won't hang around and "colonize" our area......but why can't they let them go in Mystic harbor?  There was a person explaining on a microphone/speaker that these seals are "abandoned" and were from Maine.  Why not take them to Maine and let them go?  Maybe they've got some kin still left up there.  It's a long swim from Rhode Island to Maine!.  And how does the crowd of people who attended this event find out about it?  I was driving and fishing the beach (nothing!), that's how I saw it.  Same thing happened to me about 7 years ago.  

I could be over-reacting......but the problem in Cape Cod has got me worried it could happen here, killing recreational fishing, and swimming, when Mr. White shows up for dinner.

6 hours ago, jayp195 said:

I could be over-reacting

Probably. Harbor seals winter in RI and spend their summers in Maine. So not only does this move make sense in terms of geography, but it means you probably have very little to worry about in terms of their impact on local fishing. 

I've lived in South County for almost 30 years, and during that time there have always been harbor seals here from late fall until early spring, give or take a few weeks. The sky is likely not falling. 

However, about 4-5 years ago around this time of year a big male horsehead popped up in front of me, likely chasing the albies that were around. That's something I was a little concerned with. 

Overall though shrinking biomass of sizeable stripers that blows through in the spring, and blows back out in the fall with few resident fish all summer effectively reducing the season to four months of worthwhile effort is a bigger concern than a few harbor seals (which would have come here anyway) 

Edited by bRichards

Why not Seals?  Don't worry about tipping the scales of natural order if your intentions are pure!  The greenies will have a "natural" solution for every problem that they cause.  Granted, the natural order that existed before the European migration is far different from what it was once we ultimately impacted that order.  On the other hand I have a right to exist as well.  So we hunted the turkey into near extinction in the northeast.  but in turn that drove the turkey's regional predators, like the coyote, further from our habitat.  Starting in the 20th century it was relatively safe for "modern" Americans to picnic in the country with their little dog fi-fi.  Enter the greenies:  Let's reintroduce the Turkey! Great idea....but with few predators left in the area they exploded in numbers.  Enter the greenies again: Expanded hunting?? NO!!! That's cruelty to animals!  I know! Let's grab a few Fisher's from Canada to rip the turkey's guts out even if they fly to their roost!  Oh, BTW - Sorry, Fi-Fi, the next time you go to poop you're going to become Fisher Schit too!. It didn't take the Coyotes long to hear about the re-opened dinner buffet either - Fresh turkey with a side order of urban pets. Now the urbanites (Many of them greenies...) are looking to local government agencies to somehow "control" the coyotes and other predators from attacking them their "safe-space".  - Keep putting up chain link cages around those paved bike paths too, morons!  Lambs to the slaughter!

"When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence."

1 hour ago, H'Islander said:

Why not Seals?  Don't worry about tipping the scales of natural order if your intentions are pure!  The greenies will have a "natural" solution for every problem that they cause.  Granted, the natural order that existed before the European migration is far different from what it was once we ultimately impacted that order.  On the other hand I have a right to exist as well.  So we hunted the turkey into near extinction in the northeast.  but in turn that drove the turkey's regional predators, like the coyote, further from our habitat.  Starting in the 20th century it was relatively safe for "modern" Americans to picnic in the country with their little dog fi-fi.  Enter the greenies:  Let's reintroduce the Turkey! Great idea....but with few predators left in the area they exploded in numbers.  Enter the greenies again: Expanded hunting?? NO!!! That's cruelty to animals!  I know! Let's grab a few Fisher's from Canada to rip the turkey's guts out even if they fly to their roost!  Oh, BTW - Sorry, Fi-Fi, the next time you go to poop you're going to become Fisher Schit too!. It didn't take the Coyotes long to hear about the re-opened dinner buffet either - Fresh turkey with a side order of urban pets. Now the urbanites (Many of them greenies...) are looking to local government agencies to somehow "control" the coyotes and other predators from attacking them their "safe-space".  - Keep putting up chain link cages around those paved bike paths too, morons!  Lambs to the slaughter!

Thank you, Mr. Manson.

On 10/6/2017 at 0:23 PM, H'Islander said:

You're spoofing, right?

Ha, good one!

Yah it'd be better to kill off the animals that belong there to make it safe for hideous inbred genetic freak companion animals. So they can crap on the ground and the owners can leave blue bags of crap in the parking lots of all conservation lands.

That is making murica great. 

21 hours ago, mikez2 said:

You're spoofing, right?

Ha, good one!

Yah it'd be better to kill off the animals that belong there to make it safe for hideous inbred genetic freak companion animals. So they can crap on the ground and the owners can leave blue bags of crap in the parking lots of all conservation lands.

That is making murica great. 

Spoofing? - 1/2 & 1/2....

Editorial observation on the ignorance of a culture that raped a new land - Spoof on the ignorance of a supposedly enlightened culture that introduced non-native species (fishers) into a region to correct a poorly engineered repair to the condition caused by the (first) ignorant culture.  Satirical observation on the populace that are claiming to be "green".  Living in planned neighborhoods, drinking chemically manipulated water, crowing about the virtue of their little-Bo-Peep diplomas while they can't change a flat on their car...speaking of which, Here's another satirical observation:  Greenies that drive oil-smoke spewing 15 year old Volvo station wagons wall papered in vinyl declarations of how green they are.  -or- Greenies that drive hybrid cars claiming their CO2 'footprint' is a fraction of conventional car owners while ignoring the open-pit lithium mines and the coal burning electricity plants used to recharge those batteries made from said lithium.  As far as human intervention of canine and feline genetics, don't get me started.  As if f'ing up a domesticated animal's physical appearance to a point that it causes the animal discomfort wasn't enough, some a-holes think it's cute to chop off the floppy parts (ears/tails) just to placate their egos or to sell these test tube freaks.  For anyone who has cropped an ear or tail, or lopped the first knuckle of an animals fingers off ("de-clawing")  I wish the same for them.

"When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence."