DoorGunner

No way (pic)

34 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, TimS said:

I know you are pretty close to the loonie bin...but what, on Earth, are you talking about? :b:

I no longer consider them snappers when they get their shoulders....it varies in length...I've seen 12" snappers and 12" bluefish...the difference is that thickness in the shoulder area that makes them look like bluefish :)

I never really considered the staggered spawns of bluefish...I don't think they are staggered like some spawn in June...and some spawn in October...I'd suspect it was closer to some spawn June 1st...some June 8th...some June 15th...some June 23rd...some July 5th....that kinda stagger. 

I think it's more likely that they spawn within a fairly narrow window, but that some eggs hatch sooner than others. It's not uncommon in the piscine world for eggs to float around for a goodly amount of time, sometimes months, before they finally hatch. It could be a deal where because of environmental factors (water temp would seem to be a biggie), we see different-sized fish because some of the eggs hatched before others did. 

1 hour ago, TimS said:

I know you are pretty close to the loonie bin...but what, on Earth, are you talking about? :b:

I no longer consider them snappers when they get their shoulders....it varies in length...I've seen 12" snappers and 12" bluefish...the difference is that thickness in the shoulder area that makes them look like bluefish :)

I never really considered the staggered spawns of bluefish...I don't think they are staggered like some spawn in June...and some spawn in October...I'd suspect it was closer to some spawn June 1st...some June 8th...some June 15th...some June 23rd...some July 5th....that kinda stagger. But honestly, I'm just guessing, I have no idea what their actual spawning range is on a calendar :o   I also don't think there's anything remotely close to a 6" one year old snapper - I think they are much larger than that at a year...it wouldn't matter when they are born, one year later I'd consider them bluefish. I've never seen large snappers appear in the estuaries in April-May - only bluefish. That's why I don't think their spawn is staggered such that some young are hatched in October. I think all the snappers we see in any given year were born in that year. I think the 8-10" snappers we see in October were born in May/June of that year. Again, just a suspicion, based on 45 years of playing with snappers in Shark River and more than 30 years of fishing in the Shrewsbury/Navesink from March through Christmas - I've never seen a single "snapper" return in the spring...just little bluefish...I don't recall any of them being under a foot long. Interesting topic...I've never really considered the logistics of it, just always assumed snappers were YOY bluefish :)

^^^Yes, i agree that this is an interesting topic.  I'm wondering if  bluefish spawns may be as driven by length of daylight as it is by water temperatures.  Or maybe not?  That may rule out spawning in Oct.  I don't know...

But yeah, I agree with you above.   That's why I threw out there, that, the 6 incher in the pic may be of a late spawn; if a late spawn is even possible.  Don't know...  It sure is a small bluefish for October, no doubt.

On 10/12/2017 at 0:24 PM, TimS said:

This place is closer more asylum like than anywhere I've ever been...

I think they grow pretty fast. I am pretty sure that they live for 10 or more years, but are sexually mature at around 2. Thats just what I got from a little bit of research. I kinda feel that there spawning time is spread out because a lot of time I think when people catch them, there size can vary greatly.