DoorGunner

No way (pic)

34 posts in this topic

Tossing the net a few days ago came up with one at least 2" smaller

4 hours ago, FunkyBunker said:

They caused me to spend $40 at the tackle shop last week on rubber since they wiped my previous stock out.

Nah.........I switch over to a small Hopkins and called it a day.

Saw someone throwing a cast net this past weekend in OC who pulled peanuts & bluefish mixed in all less than 6"

On 10/5/2017 at 9:52 AM, Jettyhound said:

Maybe these snappers are barely a year old.

I always assumed 100% of snappers were under 1 year old? :b:

On 10/4/2017 at 8:48 PM, crazybellringer said:

i only have a couple days left to take off for fishing. That first moon in december is tempting. 

I'm down for this

I have heard that instead of 1 large spawning run, Bluefish have several separate spawning runs that are at different times during the spawning season.   Maybe the ones that you are seeing are a result of one of the later spawning runs.   also explains why sometimes you will see many mixed size snappers throughout the season.   

3 minutes ago, crazybellringer said:

did you get your truck fixed?

Yessir. 6500 Dorrar later. 

Two days ago, the surface temp at the dock in Cape May was 72, deep in the back almost 75.  No wonder the "summer" blues are still here, warm water and lots of bait.

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, TimS said:

I always assumed 100% of snappers were under 1 year old? :b:

Yup, depending on what length one considers snappers becoming cocktails.  I consider snappers to be ~10" or less; baby blues that could be live lined.  That puts the 10 inchers at probably a bit over 1 year.  I.e. a blue spawned in June is probably about 8-10 inches in Aug./Sept./Oct. the following year. 

My comment you quoted was with reference to the "August size" 6 inch snapper in the post below.  

My rationale is: If the some spawning last year was running a couple of months late, and the fish below was spawned in, lets say, October, then that may explain a barely 1 year old snapper at 6" in early October.  This is opposed to a fish that was spawned last year in June that may have been ~7"-8" last June, or a fish spawned last year in August that may have  been ~7"-8" last August.  Bluefish spawning in October sounds strange but strange things sometimes happen.  Just a thought...

On 10/4/2017 at 0:08 PM, DoorGunner said:

No way that this size bluefish should be here this time of year. This is early August size. Caught from the dock a few minutes ago and hundreds right behind it.

59d5075382016_DSCF5106_zps06n39uyr(1).jpg.e89e3b4b918da639638a8cdf4fb25127.jpg

Edited by Jettyhound

18 hours ago, Gully said:

Lol you can't make this **** up...

I know you are pretty close to the loonie bin...but what, on Earth, are you talking about? :b:

1 hour ago, Jettyhound said:

Yup, depending on what length one considers snappers becoming cocktails.  I consider snappers to be ~10" or less; baby blues that could be live lined.  That puts the 10 inchers at probably a bit over 1 year.  I.e. a blue spawned in June is probably about 8-10 inches in Aug./Sept./Oct. the following year. 

My comment you quoted was with reference to the "August size" 6 inch snapper in the post below.  

My rationale is: If the some spawning last year was running a couple of months late, and the fish below was spawned in, lets say, October, then that may explain a barely 1 year old snapper at 6" in early October.  This is opposed to a fish that was spawned last year in June that may have been ~7"-8" last June, or a fish spawned last year in August that may have  been ~7"-8" last August.

I no longer consider them snappers when they get their shoulders....it varies in length...I've seen 12" snappers and 12" bluefish...the difference is that thickness in the shoulder area that makes them look like bluefish :)

I never really considered the staggered spawns of bluefish...I don't think they are staggered like some spawn in June...and some spawn in October...I'd suspect it was closer to some spawn June 1st...some June 8th...some June 15th...some June 23rd...some July 5th....that kinda stagger. But honestly, I'm just guessing, I have no idea what their actual spawning range is on a calendar :o   I also don't think there's anything remotely close to a 6" one year old snapper - I think they are much larger than that at a year...it wouldn't matter when they are born, one year later I'd consider them bluefish. I've never seen large snappers appear in the estuaries in April-May - only bluefish. That's why I don't think their spawn is staggered such that some young are hatched in October. I think all the snappers we see in any given year were born in that year. I think the 8-10" snappers we see in October were born in May/June of that year. Again, just a suspicion, based on 45 years of playing with snappers in Shark River and more than 30 years of fishing in the Shrewsbury/Navesink from March through Christmas - I've never seen a single "snapper" return in the spring...just little bluefish...I don't recall any of them being under a foot long. Interesting topic...I've never really considered the logistics of it, just always assumed snappers were YOY bluefish :)