Get rid of trophy season

Rate this topic

lonellr

On 10/19/2017 at 11:51 AM, fishfood said:

While I agree that harvesting a big fish filled with eggs seems silly, if we're being pragmatic about it, if that same fish is harvested in Montauk 4 months earlier, isn't the impact to the fishery identical?   

I've lived by the Susquehanna flats the last two years, and haven't hit up the March/April C&R season yet.  I'm tempted to do it just once for the experience.  I have young nephew who's got the fishing bug, who would remember it the rest of his life if I put him on one of those.  

Hit me up. I will take you and the nephew. 

On 10/9/2017 at 9:03 PM, AdamHJeep said:

Thanks.  I am def intetested in more catch and release especially from shore these days.  I know I can get them on the boat and get my filet fill of eeling in the summer.  Unless im landing one on my uncles boat or maybe one of my own someday early season im with you there.  But who am I to deny somebody the opportunity that Ive had.  I just hope they have the same respect we have had.  Now im interested in the pursuit from shore.

You mean cape cod?  I travel for work so I have a ton of airline miles and am looking to fly up to the canal and fish.  Im booked with work through late october.  Would love some pointers.  I have an Okuma Nomad Surf mH 10' travel rod and a Slammer 3 5500 with plenty of lure assortment to fly up and spend a couple days on the canal. 

Were you in tochterman's a few weeks back?  I saw a guy come in to purchase some Sebiles I believe and had an Okuma travel rod.  

As for the OP, I fish C&R before the season but have not fished trophy season for the past few years and have no issues doing away with the season (as its currently promoted) or the tournaments.  That said, I do selectively harvest in the spring for table fare but have elected to wait until the biomass "turns the corner" to head north.  I have access to boats and charters but prefer catching from the beach with the bonus that those fish are spawned out or skipped spawning.  

I would prefer a managed slot (inclusion and exclusion), established each season to protect the prime recruitment classes over the past 15 years, designed to the ensure the viability of stocks so that future generations can enjoy the sport.  

:rav:

1 hour ago, Kent I said:

The situation is really simple...if you want the opportunity to catch big fish on a regular basis, quit killing them when you catch them.

Ha! Amen to that!

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

-Doug Larson

In regards to the Bay and spawners, the illegal and legal gill nets crush the fish. I really don’t think they count the poaching take against the comm quotas either.  We’re talking miles of nets, millions of pounds. It doesn’t really matter when a fish dies, they are all pre spawn but maybe start the trophy season May 1st to make up for the comm carnage cause they will never give an inch. 

On 10/22/2017 at 0:32 AM, shaddart2004 said:

Hit me up. I will take you and the nephew. 

Just saw this.  Thanks for the offer.  If nothing else, I might hit you up for advice.  I've just started exploring the channels thru the flats.  Picked up a yellow perch, largemouth and striper all in the same area Sunday.  Seemed like an odd trio to me.  

On 10/24/2017 at 7:16 PM, LY2000 said:

In regards to the Bay and spawners, the illegal and legal gill nets crush the fish. I really don’t think they count the poaching take against the comm quotas either.  We’re talking miles of nets, millions of pounds. It doesn’t really matter when a fish dies, they are all pre spawn but maybe start the trophy season May 1st to make up for the comm carnage cause they will never give an inch. 

Those eastern shore watermen are real POS's. They don't give a damn about anyone or anything but themselves. 

22 hours ago, kurazy kracka said:

Those eastern shore watermen are real POS's. They don't give a damn about anyone or anything but themselves. 

I was talking to a friend who, unlike me, is an Eastern Shore native, and his take on it is that guys go to school and are either bad at it or just hate it, and as soon as they can, they decide that the easy way is to just drop out and become watermen and that's what we're dealing with. That said, I don't like to characterize a whole group, and I know several ex-watermen, whom I like and respect, but you really can't talk with them about the watermen's role in the depletion of the bay's living resources. So it goes.