lonellr

Get rid of trophy season

30 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, AdamHJeep said:

Thanks.  I am def intetested in more catch and release especially from shore these days.  I know I can get them on the boat and get my filet fill of eeling in the summer.  Unless im landing one on my uncles boat or maybe one of my own someday early season im with you there.  But who am I to deny somebody the opportunity that Ive had.  I just hope they have the same respect we have had.  Now im interested in the pursuit from shore.

You mean cape cod?  I travel for work so I have a ton of airline miles and am looking to fly up to the canal and fish.  Im booked with work through late october.  Would love some pointers.  I have an Okuma Nomad Surf mH 10' travel rod and a Slammer 3 5500 with plenty of lure assortment to fly up and spend a couple days on the canal. 

Nice! That's a good setup for the canal. I lived on Nantucket Island for 13 years and moved back to VA last year. I'll definitely help you out with some pointers on the canal. I've fished it a bunch! Love that place. Taking a four day trip to go there next June.

i agree with lonellr,killing breeding fish is asinine.hunters shoot bucks and leave the does to breed---makes sense to me.

the people managing our fish stocks are clueless or worse.

Nice catches for sure, and kudos on the ethics of the matter, after all we ALL live downstream (or share the same water) per say.  For those in it for the sport, and total disregard, shouldn't be allowed to fish at all as they ruin it for the fish, good minded fishermen, and access.

20 hours ago, jimmythe bee said:

i agree with lonellr,killing breeding fish is asinine.hunters shoot bucks and leave the does to breed---makes sense to me.

the people managing our fish stocks are clueless or worse.

x2

Posted (edited)

This is probably old news to you guys but I found this article very surprising.  The last data is from 2010, a little old.  But I was shocked that the recreational catch was 3x larger than the commercial catch.  Figured it would be the other way around.  Also the "recreational release loss" is surprisingly high.  I thought stripers were robust enough to tolerate catch and release.  Is that mortality due to guthooking, mishandling, or what?

I imagine outlawing barbed hooks and even baitfishing for stripers would improve the fishery as well.

Edited by TimS
Link removed - you can copy/paste the information you want to share, but please don't post links to commercial sites - thanks

Posted (edited)

Stripers aren't exactly fighters so catching a "big one" isn't like catching a big mac or a billfish etc.  I wouldn't mind personally if they did away with trophy season.  But I think the charter boats need the business.  In my own experience, fishing for rock on a charter boat is mostly sitting around while the mate rigs a lot of planer lines. Then when a fish bites it's somebody's turn to crank in what is mostly dead weight.  No long runs burning drag here.  I realize for others it may be a memorable trip of a lifetime.

Edited by Naptime

On 10/9/2017 at 8:53 PM, Terp said:

How about a slot just like drum.   Protect the big spawners and let people eat a 20-28 inch fish. They have less mercury and PCBs too.    

The actual size and creel limit can be set by biologists with data but you get the point 

Terp, X- 2 on this one. I agree 100 % with you.

Is MD/Chesapeake Bay the only coastal/SW state that allows anglers to target and kill big spawning fish in rivers and bays? Not saying it is but asking.

I've lived up and down the east coast, and I had never heard of a "Trophy Season" strictly targeting big stripers until I moved back home to Virginia. Like Terp said, just put a slot on em.....I'd say 25"-33" is a good eating fish. I don't know what tackle shop it is come Trophy Season, but you see a lot of dead pre-spawn bass hanging on their Facebook page.

Trophy season is a joke. I see pictures and know of people who will do a charter in the spring and kill big breeders just for the pic, often it's people who haven no idea of the impact of that on the fishery or even people that are true fishermen. 

I completely hate trophy season. I loved seeing all the boats coming back with the big ole skunk and complaining left and right that they couldn't find big breeders to kill.  The fish were really early and left the bay before anyone even knew it. 

10 hours ago, kurazy kracka said:

Trophy season is a joke. I see pictures and know of people who will do a charter in the spring and kill big breeders just for the pic, often it's people who haven no idea of the impact of that on the fishery or even people that are true fishermen. 

I completely hate trophy season. I loved seeing all the boats coming back with the big ole skunk and complaining left and right that they couldn't find big breeders to kill.  The fish were really early and left the bay before anyone even knew it. 

Hopefully that happens again next spring!!

On 10/16/2017 at 8:45 AM, lonellr said:

I've lived up and down the east coast, and I had never heard of a "Trophy Season" strictly targeting big stripers until I moved back home to Virginia. Like Terp said, just put a slot on em.....I'd say 25"-33" is a good eating fish. I don't know what tackle shop it is come Trophy Season, but you see a lot of dead pre-spawn bass hanging on their Facebook page.

Agree.  

While I agree that harvesting a big fish filled with eggs seems silly, if we're being pragmatic about it, if that same fish is harvested in Montauk 4 months earlier, isn't the impact to the fishery identical?   

I've lived by the Susquehanna flats the last two years, and haven't hit up the March/April C&R season yet.  I'm tempted to do it just once for the experience.  I have young nephew who's got the fishing bug, who would remember it the rest of his life if I put him on one of those.  

1 hour ago, fishfood said:

While I agree that harvesting a big fish filled with eggs seems silly, if we're being pragmatic about it, if that same fish is harvested in Montauk 4 months earlier, isn't the impact to the fishery identical?   

I've lived by the Susquehanna flats the last two years, and haven't hit up the March/April C&R season yet.  I'm tempted to do it just once for the experience.  I have young nephew who's got the fishing bug, who would remember it the rest of his life if I put him on one of those.  

Yes, same exact thing whether Montauk or Virginia. The biggest issue is the bullseye we have on them in Virginia. I definitely want to fish for them come March/April on the flats. 

Having a season for removing the largest breeders from the Striper makes no sense. In fact, the whole system seems designed to eliminate large fish from the population. 28" minimum in the coastal states? Slot limits did wonders for the red drum population, and should be instituted for stripers, too.