lonellr

Get rid of trophy season

30 posts in this topic

Why do we have it? What would be the steps towards getting rid of it.... All spring you will see photos of dead pre-spawn fish, and I think it's a bit ridiculous.

There are a lot of politics involved.  Some people have tried, but more people oppose it.  Trophy season is when the big fish visit us for a brief time before heading north for the year, so the window of opportunity to catch those fish is small.  

The idea is to time the season after the main spawn, but before the fish leave the area.  Tricky, because temperature and rain affects the actual timing.

So some years, people complain because a lot of pre-spawn fish are caught, and other years, everyone is complaining because the fish have come and gone before the season opened.

Me, personally, I don't understand why the target is on the big fish.  Why not allow guys one fish over 20", just like a month later.  Most people will catch their fish and go home.  If they get a big one, fine, but why FORCE them to chase only the big spawners?

I'm sure there is a reason, but as for me, I just go when I can, and I catch what I can, and release what I can.  I do kill one here and there, but there is more joy in releasing a big one to spawn, than in killing it, in my opinion.

-TH

5 hours ago, thill said:

There are a lot of politics involved.  Some people have tried, but more people oppose it.  Trophy season is when the big fish visit us for a brief time before heading north for the year, so the window of opportunity to catch those fish is small.  

The idea is to time the season after the main spawn, but before the fish leave the area.  Tricky, because temperature and rain affects the actual timing.

So some years, people complain because a lot of pre-spawn fish are caught, and other years, everyone is complaining because the fish have come and gone before the season opened.

Me, personally, I don't understand why the target is on the big fish.  Why not allow guys one fish over 20", just like a month later.  Most people will catch their fish and go home.  If they get a big one, fine, but why FORCE them to chase only the big spawners?

I'm sure there is a reason, but as for me, I just go when I can, and I catch what I can, and release what I can.  I do kill one here and there, but there is more joy in releasing a big one to spawn, than in killing it, in my opinion.

-TH

That's what I mean. We can just get rid of the FORCED "Trophy Season" where people only concentrate on big fish. It's crazy to see some of these tournament photos of these 50+ pound fish that haven't spawned yet, that most likely won't get eaten.

And your ASSuming that they will not be consumed or are you relying  on facts ? Please provide your facts -Lol.

2 hours ago, DDslayer said:

And your ASSuming that they will not be consumed or are you relying  on facts ? Please provide your facts -Lol.

No facts. I just think a striper that size does not taste good. Eaten or not should there be a "Trophy Season"? Why should there be? 

16 hours ago, lonellr said:

No facts. I just think a striper that size does not taste good. Eaten or not should there be a "Trophy Season"? Why should there be? 

Really? Have you ever eaten one? Then how would you know? I have. Tasted fine to me and nothing went to waste.

18 minutes ago, DDslayer said:

Really? Have you ever eaten one? Then how would you know? I have. Tasted fine to me and nothing went to waste.

I have eaten one. That's why I said it didn't taste good to me. Like I said before, Do you think there should be a "Trophy Season" and why?

21 minutes ago, DDslayer said:

No reason why there should not be. The season is short as has already been mentioned.

It is a short season, but why have everyone target the big spawning fish and kill them? I just don't understand the logic of telling people that you can catch and kill trophy fish that are about to spawn and then complain about the fishery. During these tournaments you'll see one boat come back with 4 or 5 40-60lb fish that haven't spawned. It's insane.

15 minutes ago, DDslayer said:

Seems like your the only one complaining so obviously you are in the minority on this one.

I guess I'll take that title. oh well. Tight lines!

Posted (edited)

20170721_084222_001.thumb.jpg.94f6bef0dba1bde5efdc1c021b4732bb.jpg20170909_165532.thumb.jpg.63de80e9e037120491b061281b2689f2.jpg20170721_114859_001.thumb.jpg.133e27ed5d78b98517fc5a67d0434008.jpgFB_IMG_1507383749511.jpg.f6d0e3c2a5bff17c6968ec4de444f1c4.jpgMy first post.

I have been fishing MD trophy season almost every year on my uncles boat since its return however many years ago.  We are responsible Maryland fisherman that cherish our resource and opportunity to go after these biggins while they grace our waters. I have caught several 30 plus pounders over the years with great pride and have eaten every one. It is important to remember that "Rockfish" as we call them in the Chessy bay area are considered a local delicacy, often filets stuffed with MD crab meat unlike the further north common disliking of the fish.

Embarrassingly, it wasnt until I was a young adult that I even found out that Rockfish and Stripped Bass were the same species lol. Short story I was working for a NJ company at the time (2001-ish) and they had a Jersey Shore company picnic weekend with a fishing party boat trip.  Being a Chesapeake bay kid I asked what kind of fish are "stripers" and they indicated a fun but generally uneaten fish.  Obviously this was before google and internet access was at the reach of a smartphone. It wasnt until the first fish was caught that I said "wow you caught a rockfish!" and stupidly realized my ignorance to the species real common name.

It has been only recently that I have endevoured to chase this species outside of Trophy and summer boating season. This summer, Stripers were hitting top water in the inner harbor and I got hooked on the ability to catch and fight these fish from shore in a way other than the boat trolling, chumming, or live eeling i had only dine in the past.  I plan on heading north in my OSV Jeep to fish this fall in Long Island and even Cape Cod.

All that considered, I see the points of the mis-givings many have on the Cheasapeake fisheries and its affect on the Northern targeting and sustainable future of the fishery.  I have read several articles on how the MD/VA fishery is hurting yall up north.  I can only speak for us and the responsible group we know that we all are eaters of even the biggest catches. We fish primarily north of the bay bridge off Love Point during trophy season.  We have had difficulties in recent years with weather and the season start timeframe missing the fish up north. For us Baltimore folk we are jealous of the southern bay opportunity and those of yall that live up north. 

I only ask that everyone consider the plight if us northern bay honest fisherman that removing this trophy season would break the hearts of many good people that cherish the short time and opportunity we have with these fish in our waters.  IMO the netting and southern water over-fishing for charter "money" is what should be better regulated.  Perhaps all money charters and boats over 30 foot or so should have to check in to a supervisory stop on the way back to the dock for spot checks as another idea?

I am weary of the concept of lowering the size limit for "trophy" season as that is a double edged sword IMO. If you "fill the box" early with smaller fish (arguably more resilient) and stay out to catch a big-un you run the risk of killing a large spawning fish you cant legally keep. Most of us up here in north bay are meat fisherman and our goal is to fish to limit and leave the grounds.  This summer, after a disappointing trophy season (fish left before start), we crushed it eeling. 3-4 days a week of limit often done by 930am. The few days i could take off to go actually sometimes were somewhat disappointing in that it was over so quick. But thats how we proudly fish and harvest.

Pics, 38" ealing catch, first top water keeper ever, eeling limit by 9am, my biggest ever 39lb'er, summer rockfish dish I cooked.20170721_213714.thumb.jpg.7262ce42d18117ae381d8ea34eb09cad.jpg

Edited by AdamHJeep

On 10/7/2017 at 10:04 AM, AdamHJeep said:

20170721_084222_001.thumb.jpg.94f6bef0dba1bde5efdc1c021b4732bb.jpg20170909_165532.thumb.jpg.63de80e9e037120491b061281b2689f2.jpg20170721_114859_001.thumb.jpg.133e27ed5d78b98517fc5a67d0434008.jpgFB_IMG_1507383749511.jpg.f6d0e3c2a5bff17c6968ec4de444f1c4.jpgMy first post.

I have been fishing MD trophy season almost every year on my uncles boat since its return however many years ago.  We are responsible Maryland fisherman that cherish our resource and opportunity to go after these biggins while they grace our waters. I have caught several 30 plus pounders over the years with great pride and have eaten every one. It is important to remember that "Rockfish" as we call them in the Chessy bay area are considered a local delicacy, often filets stuffed with MD crab meat unlike the further north common disliking of the fish.

Embarrassingly, it wasnt until I was a young adult that I even found out that Rockfish and Stripped Bass were the same species lol. Short story I was working for a NJ company at the time (2001-ish) and they had a Jersey Shore company picnic weekend with a fishing party boat trip.  Being a Chesapeake bay kid I asked what kind of fish are "stripers" and they indicated a fun but generally uneaten fish.  Obviously this was before google and internet access was at the reach of a smartphone. It wasnt until the first fish was caught that I said "wow you caught a rockfish!" and stupidly realized my ignorance to the species real common name.

It has been only recently that I have endevoured to chase this species outside of Trophy and summer boating season. This summer, Stripers were hitting top water in the inner harbor and I got hooked on the ability to catch and fight these fish from shore in a way other than the boat trolling, chumming, or live eeling i had only dine in the past.  I plan on heading north in my OSV Jeep to fish this fall in Long Island and even Cape Cod.

All that considered, I see the points of the mis-givings many have on the Cheasapeake fisheries and its affect on the Northern targeting and sustainable future of the fishery.  I have read several articles on how the MD/VA fishery is hurting yall up north.  I can only speak for us and the responsible group we know that we all are eaters of even the biggest catches. We fish primarily north of the bay bridge off Love Point during trophy season.  We have had difficulties in recent years with weather and the season start timeframe missing the fish up north. For us Baltimore folk we are jealous of the southern bay opportunity and those of yall that live up north. 

I only ask that everyone consider the plight if us northern bay honest fisherman that removing this trophy season would break the hearts of many good people that cherish the short time and opportunity we have with these fish in our waters.  IMO the netting and southern water over-fishing for charter "money" is what should be better regulated.  Perhaps all money charters and boats over 30 foot or so should have to check in to a supervisory stop on the way back to the dock for spot checks as another idea?

I am weary of the concept of lowering the size limit for "trophy" season as that is a double edged sword IMO. If you "fill the box" early with smaller fish (arguably more resilient) and stay out to catch a big-un you run the risk of killing a large spawning fish you cant legally keep. Most of us up here in north bay are meat fisherman and our goal is to fish to limit and leave the grounds.  This summer, after a disappointing trophy season (fish left before start), we crushed it eeling. 3-4 days a week of limit often done by 930am. The few days i could take off to go actually sometimes were somewhat disappointing in that it was over so quick. But thats how we proudly fish and harvest.

Pics, 38" ealing catch, first top water keeper ever, eeling limit by 9am, my biggest ever 39lb'er, summer rockfish dish I cooked.20170721_213714.thumb.jpg.7262ce42d18117ae381d8ea34eb09cad.jpg

Nice Catch Adam!! My main concern was seeing the tournaments that were happening and the huge pre-spawning fish that were hanging. But as tough guy DDSlayer says, I'm the only one who cares I guess. Maybe sometime we can share a tide AdamHJeep. I just moved back home to Northern VA from the Cape area. I also make rockfish lures. If you head over the the Lure Building part of this forum you will see some of my lures in one of them somewhere. I'd love to catch some stripers from shore with ya! I release mine though. haha.

How about a slot just like drum.   Protect the big spawners and let people eat a 20-28 inch fish. They have less mercury and PCBs too.    

The actual size and creel limit can be set by biologists with data but you get the point 

4 minutes ago, lonellr said:

Nice Catch Adam!! My main concern was seeing the tournaments that were happening and the huge pre-spawning fish that were hanging. But as tough guy DDSlayer says, I'm the only one who cares I guess. Maybe sometime we can share a tide AdamHJeep. I just moved back home to Northern VA from the Cape area. I also make rockfish lures. If you head over the the Lure Building part of this forum you will see some of my lures in one of them somewhere. I'd love to catch some stripers from shore with ya! I release mine though. haha.

Thanks.  I am def intetested in more catch and release especially from shore these days.  I know I can get them on the boat and get my filet fill of eeling in the summer.  Unless im landing one on my uncles boat or maybe one of my own someday early season im with you there.  But who am I to deny somebody the opportunity that Ive had.  I just hope they have the same respect we have had.  Now im interested in the pursuit from shore.

You mean cape cod?  I travel for work so I have a ton of airline miles and am looking to fly up to the canal and fish.  Im booked with work through late october.  Would love some pointers.  I have an Okuma Nomad Surf mH 10' travel rod and a Slammer 3 5500 with plenty of lure assortment to fly up and spend a couple days on the canal.