viper2788

Cold Water Yaking

24 posts in this topic

Try outdoor play dot com or yahoo shopping. Good luck. I think outdoor play offers a discount if you join their mailing list.

11 hours ago, dbjpb said:

Try outdoor play dot com or yahoo shopping. Good luck. I think outdoor play offers a discount if you join their mailing list.

Thanks!

So I too am thinking about a Kokatat dry suit , what do you guys wear on your hands in cold weather ?  and do you wear boots until on the yak so you don't rip up the feet on the dry suit ?  

14 hours ago, Ob1 said:

So I too am thinking about a Kokatat dry suit , what do you guys wear on your hands in cold weather ?  and do you wear boots until on the yak so you don't rip up the feet on the dry suit ?  

NRS Toaster Mitts will keep your hands pretty warm. I use their reactor gloves which do me fine year round and are pre-curved for paddling. My friend has some circulation issues and he went to some diving-specific gloves that were more expensive but worked well for him. Always wore a bootie outside the drysuit to protect the latex boot and wore either a good wool sock or my sealskins dry sock on the inside. On a SOT your feet are more of an issue than your hands IMO, unless you have a Renauds type situation...

I came across this article today which I found pretty interesting. Right now I have a farmer john that I couple with a dry top, as well as some Kokatat whirlpool bibs that I also use with the drytop, but thinking about going to a winter wetsuit for the SIT. the current gear works fine in a SIS boat with a sprayskirt to seal it but the roll-up seal without the skirt isn't that great, even with the neoprene "belt" I sewed up to act as a skirt substitute. Anyways some good thoughts and comments in this article;

http://gokayaknow.com/index.php/gear/drysuit-vs-wetsuit-for-kayaking/

Thanks for sharing.  I would agree a wet suit is cheaper and more durable and you can swim better in it. A dry suit is more

comfortable and more likely to fail and more expensive.  I always thought a wet suit was designed to be wet or used when in the water and a dry suit

was designed to be used out of the water not in the water ?  I prefer the dry suit but I can see how a wet suit has it's advantages. 

Me too but I think wet suit design has advanced. The one thing I didn't like with my dry suit is my butt slides around on the seat of my kayak or waveski. There's a good deal on a cold water suit I just might give it a shot..

2 hours ago, dbjpb said:

I always thought a wet suit was designed to be wet or used when in the water and a dry suit

was designed to be used out of the water not in the water ?  I prefer the dry suit but I can see how a wet suit has it's advantages. 

Not only do Whitewater boaters, who are very in the water, prefer drysuits, but they actually make diving dry suits, which are what a serious cold water Pro Diver wears. I think the material is different but the gaskets are the same.

From the article:

"I have been testing a 4/3 Xcel infinity fullsuit by sea kayaking in it. I can say that it is very warm and when coupled with a kokatat fuzzy rubber bomber’s cap, I am toasty to the core in even 30-40 degree air and water temps. I tested by paddling hard in cold air and cold water and cold water and warm air. I quickly grew pretty warm in the suit on both days to the point where I had to roll to cool off. However, once I rolled it was really just a mild temperature fluctuation, it wasn’t drastic. I even did a rescue yesterday in the suit to see how cold I was going to get. My body stayed really warm, head, face, feet and hands were colder than my body. So I was warm enough and then cool enough as long as I stayed wet. "

Doesn't sound like a good suit for fishing.. If you are fishing, you are not going to "stay wet". 

I use my drysuit for surfing my kayak in the winter. That puts far more stress on the suit than fishing would. Lots of tumbles, self-rescue, swimming, etc.. I was worried it might be too much, but so far, so good. No leaks or rips. And super comfy, even in the water.  

Edited by kross57