lichum

Can You Identify This Unusual Reel?

10 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I've never seen a reel (the one on the left) that has such an unusual  free-spool lever (if that's what it is).

Is it a free-spool lever?

Or is it an oiling tube?

Was the reel  manufactured by Ocean City?

aaafree-spool lever.jpg

Posted (edited)

If it's a  tube is it used for oil that acts as a brake?

Here's a top-view pic.

aaaunusuallever1.jpg

Edited by lichum

Yes the reel is an Ocean City and the lever is free spool.  I have a a couple that I inherited from my father and uncle.

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Catch This said:

Yes the reel is an Ocean City and the lever is free spool.  I have a a couple that I inherited from my father and uncle.

Yup, It looks like my first saltwater fishing reel purchased about 65 years ago. It is indeed an Ocean City and its a free spool lever. The free spool lever folds out from the reel. I don't know of any other free spool levers that function in that manner.

Edited by snookster
add info

7 minutes ago, Catch This said:

Mystery solved!

Thank you!

It was designed so the free spool lever stood out when it was disengaged. When you turned the handle it would strike the lever and engage the spool. I've tried a few that I ran across and it worked better on paper than in actual use. 

5 hours ago, patabate said:

It was designed so the free spool lever stood out when it was disengaged. When you turned the handle it would strike the lever and engage the spool. I've tried a few that I ran across and it worked better on paper than in actual use. 

Noted.

That's funny, I saw what looks to be that same reel this past weekend at a flea market. I picked it up and fiddled with that lever for a minute and couldn't move it, thought it was locked up. I never thought to flip it down!

15 hours ago, CapeDave said:

I have one that is branded as a Mohawk by Sears.  The lever action works pretty cool.

If possible,  post some pics of it with the  lever in the "down" (spool disengaged) position and the handle contacting the lever.