KJMog

An intro and a quest

6 posts in this topic

Been lurking the site for a couple of months and appreciate everything I have learned (and unlearned) from all of you. I am located just a bit too far from the beach (NE Georgia) to have spent much time in the surf but close enough to still hear it calling. My typical fishing fix is chasing little trouts in the southern Appalachians but I need something to bend the rod a bit deeper now and again. Which is why am now setting out on a quest.

My goal this year is to put a citation red on the beach at Hatteras this year. I have booked a rental house in Frisco that me and a fishing buddy will use as home port from 10/14-10/19. I am not new to surf fishing, having caught some sharks and pups along the Georgia and SC coast but I have never gotten that big bull I seek.

We will be soaking bait for the most part but will have standby rods to throw at any surface action we see (plus an 8wt fly rod that I will probably wonder why I brought it by the end of the trip). Will have to acquire bait in some form, hopefully we can net up some fresh mullet. I suppose if the mullet aren't available using fresh caught whiting chunks is an option (but you call them sea mullet I've read). I have my 'big' rod which is an 11' Penn OM rated 3-6oz and spooled with 50# braid and a 'small' rod 9' OM rated 1-3oz spooled with 20# braid. I bought some satellite sinkers which I like for their holding power. I've got rigs tied up and ready with 60# and 30# leaders. I've got waders, rain gear, rod holders, head lamp, pliers, towels, coolers, chairs, etc. I think I'm ready but always feel like I'm forgetting something (most of us do, don't we). Only thing I don't have is local knowledge such as best fisherman's bar, burgers, breakfast, burritos, baitshop, etc. If anyone has some pointers, warnings or ideas I'm all ears here or via PM. I'll be surfside in a Nissan Frontier so stop and say hi if you like cold beer and swapping fishing lies.

Posted (edited)

I'd take you up on that offer about the beer and lies but, unfortunately, we're arriving the day you're leaving. As far as bars go, the Pangea Tavern in Avon is pretty nice. Great food too. IMO, the best burgers are found at the The Point restaurant right across from the lighthouse road on 12. New ownership and the menu changed a bit but the burgers are still great. Best "greasy diner" style breakfast can be found at Diamond Shoals right up the street from there. I've never made it in, but I hear Pop's Raw Bar has some good food, too. My wife just can't get past the "raw bar" thing. Red Drum Tackle can fix you up with any gear or bait you need. If your lucky Dede will be in there. I can talk to her for hours. If you fish the point with braid you likely wont make many new friends. Its fine if you're not close to anyone but that braid will cut any mono it comes across if you hook up and the fish takes you down the beach like they often do. When in Rome, do as the Romans do and on the point the Romans use mono. Good luck and post up how you do!

Edited by Hikes run

Ditch the sputnick stinkers and get some tounge style stinkers while your at it, put some fish bite blood worms on a smaller rod and catch some fresh bait if you can. Good luck!

Yeah... roger that on braid at the point. I have been looking for a spare spool for a Daiwa Emblem 5000 but haven't seen one now that I want to buy. I am bringing mono as backup if needed. Not too keen on fishing the point if everyone else already is but will strip and reload with mono if it comes to that. Thanks much for the intel on places to eat.

I haven't used the tongue style sinkers. If I get a chance I'll pick a couple up and see if I like them better than the sputniks. I like Fish Bites for just about anything. I use it when I don't feel like messing with squid.

Will be heading down a week from today. Don't think I am going to be terribly productive at work this week.

Any reports on mullet or bunker in the area? If not easily found, do the baitshops have a good supply. It's been a while so going to practice with the throw net tomorrow. What is the water temp like this time of year at Hatteras? Is wet wading likely or are waders necessary? I'll have the waders but prefer not to use them if tolerable.

Posted (edited)

You have to go to Pops... order the steamed shrimp and chicken wings. Stop at the pier shop in Nags Head on the way down to see if they’re catching spot. If so, go out on the pier and BUY all you can from a fisherman. Spot heads are bait. Cob heads are good also. Mono leader on hook so sharks cut themselves off. You have to wade through the sharks.

turn in at the Marlin motel in Hatteras, drive back past the pool and around to the little canal - throw cast net for mullet.

Stop in at Teachs Lair and talk to JAM - advice and fresh bait.

Drive down beach at ramp 55... 300 yards past the big flat on right(previous wash over during a big storm) there will be five or six trucks at washover - go another 300 yds and fish. 

They em are hammering the drum down there now at the point... 

Rule of thumb - October? North beach in a NE wind for drum. 

I hope you you have some luck...

Bob Anderson

you shouldn’t need waders unless it’s a cool breeze...

Hatteras Jacks in Rodanthe (on right) has fresh mullet now. 

You can stop at Austins Seafood in Nags Head (Mile post 12ish) to see if they have spot.

Stop at Currituck Sports (just past Frog Island seafood) to buy blood worms (to fish for spot).

Edited by Cutbait Bob