scrapper

'17 Deer season

261 posts in this topic

43 mins ago, jmarino12 said:

Excellent point here and congrats buzzardsbaybruin. Nothing wrong with helping the population while filling the freezer. Always surprising to me when people have issues with a form of hunting that is conducted in 100% compliance with the law. I'm only jealous I didn't get to tag along!

Thank you, Nantucket Hunting is hard work. Tracking is difficult and dragging is even harder.

I applaud BBB on the management hunting out on the island. It is a major problem out there,there is no way that the island can sustain that many deer per square mile successfully. I would rather see a deer taken than starve to death!!!  

Here is the problem that lies within. I think that the negativity of this post comes from the picture that was posted. The stacking up of the deer in the back of the trailer with a person standing over them. Now I thought I saw a pic of a lot of deer hanging, the type of picture that we have been seeing for years and years. Our mind has become accustomed to this type of pic and it is deemed non-offensive. 

Now i have been a hunter for 30 plus years and have taken my share of the so called " hero pic " but even to me this seems a little over the top. The picture seems to portray a person who has no respect for the life of these animals. A person who is standing over his victim a person who is saying. Look at me and what I have done. Now I know that is not the case because of the pictures that were posted of the meat that was taken from these animals. If there was no respect they would have been tossed away without a care 

BBB I am on your side on this one the deer herd needs to be thinned out there, or they wouldn't allow hunting at all. The gladiator pic of the trailer full of carcass was in my opinion not the greatest decision to post online. That one should have been saved for the personal man cave.

That is where the Really???  Post came from.  But that is your decision and yours only. Just sucks having to listen to all the negative criticism from one picture  a picture that doesn't fully describe what good is being done here. 

1 hour ago, Dthfrmabove said:

I applaud BBB on the management hunting out on the island. It is a major problem out there,there is no way that the island can sustain that many deer per square mile successfully. I would rather see a deer taken than starve to death!!!  

Here is the problem that lies within. I think that the negativity of this post comes from the picture that was posted. The stacking up of the deer in the back of the trailer with a person standing over them. Now I thought I saw a pic of a lot of deer hanging, the type of picture that we have been seeing for years and years. Our mind has become accustomed to this type of pic and it is deemed non-offensive. 

Now i have been a hunter for 30 plus years and have taken my share of the so called " hero pic " but even to me this seems a little over the top. The picture seems to portray a person who has no respect for the life of these animals. A person who is standing over his victim a person who is saying. Look at me and what I have done. Now I know that is not the case because of the pictures that were posted of the meat that was taken from these animals. If there was no respect they would have been tossed away without a care 

BBB I am on your side on this one the deer herd needs to be thinned out there, or they wouldn't allow hunting at all. The gladiator pic of the trailer full of carcass was in my opinion not the greatest decision to post online. That one should have been saved for the personal man cave.

That is where the Really???  Post came from.  But that is your decision and yours only. Just sucks having to listen to all the negative criticism from one picture  a picture that doesn't fully describe what good is being done here. 

First off, thank you. We worked hard out there.

The man in the picture was another hunter standing on the tail gate of the truck trying to get a better angle for a picture.

I can imagine people’s imaginations run wild. I find the the negative posts amusing at times. People jump to conclusions and think they have a handle on the situation at hand and clearly don’t. Either that or they are jelly, which also amuses me.

The backlash from these pictures show how bad the “ snowflake“ mentality is getting. I refuse to cater to this demographic, they have little use outside of this society. Like CCstriper said, unless someone is vegan then they are hypocritical. Though I may disagree with the vegan mentality I respect it and would never post something like this I’m a place where they may likely to be viewing.  

Fortunately we have come a long way as a society. Be it good or bad. I too don't cater but I do try and keep a somewhat low profile outside the inner core of friends that I know. Like was said before. If people only knew what the slaughter houses look like and how the animals are treated. They never will all they see is the packaged meat in the grocery stores and think it came that way from the beginning. But to some people these are poor little deer just minding their own business and would never hurt anyone. It is what it is and it's only going to get worse as time goes on 

On 11/30/2017 at 7:20 PM, TBYRD said:

7 and 8. 

Zero acorns this year due to the gypsy moth caterpillars eating every oak leave in central MA!!

He was feeding on green grass and clovers.  He was traveling from a still green fall cut hay field to a bedding area in an overgrown 5yr old clearcut at 8:45am.  35-40yd shot from the ground.

18" inside spread 10" G2s  

20171130_092648.jpg

Very nice work  Big healthy buck!

I’ve known many hunters who hunted mainly on return routes to bedding areas

Culling hunts are necessary but not pretty.

Locations where there are very limited predators and deer thrive and reproduce well 

Nature wins so management is required for their survival though many disagree there is no getting round the needed culling