'17 Deer season

Rate this topic

scrapper

I live in Va. and was up in Maryland visiting my uncle in Silver Spring and the deer there walk around the neighborhood like they owned it LOl !! I looked down at the end of the Cul de sac and saw a white flash and looked again and there was a real nice buck eating on the homeowners bush on the side of the house LOl ! It was early in the day as well like 2:00 o clock or so lol . His house is bordered by a park that must be over run with Deer ? It would be awesome to set up a couple trail cameras and see what size bucks were in there ? Looking forward to this season !

I went up to my buddies camp for opening week of Archery in NH on the 15th. We got there the day before the season begins; per usual; to get the cabin settled and have time to do some quick recon. Usually the first couple of hunts are just set in areas we have done well in previous years. Had time to check some oaks and beech nuts I have hunted in the past; they looked OK. Not fantastic but the first days stand was picked. Opening morning was quiet for me my buddy saw a doe. That afternoon I got up in my climber around 530 it had rained mid day so the woods were wet dripping and relatively quiet. At about 630 I saw a black figure come stealthing out of the thick mountain side and turn right towards me. From the time I saw it; realized what I was looking at; got my bow ready drew back and released an arrow; it had been under 1 minute. 12 yds this black bear turned broadside and I sent a 100 grain spitfire through my first NH free roaming(no bait) black bear. It wasn't a giant but I couldnt have been more excited. I have been going up for 12 years and although we see sign of them everywhere; nobody in my crew has ever even seen one; the guy who owns the camp has been going for 20+ years. Luckily I have been ready with a purchased black bear tag every season; just in case!

The Best Day to go fishing is any day that ends in Y

Ironically; this is a photo from the afternoon of the 14th. The night before opening morning of archery deer. I took a stand with my 30-06 over looking a rivine on the power line dreaming of seeing a bear come out to hit the black berries. Nothing came out of course and 24 hours from then I got one with the bow while hunting deer. 

image.jpeg

The Best Day to go fishing is any day that ends in Y