West Coaster going to Montauk

Rate this topic

norcalkat

Couple weeks ago I went to NY with my family to visit for the 1st time, and I had a really good time.  I was able to make to the The Fisherman Show on Thursday in LI, and I had a really good time there.  I was able to sneak in 1 day of fishing with a Local, and good thing I brought all my gear and rods/reels.  We packed in a lot of fishing in 12hrs.  I got into some Albies in the a.m and then we went to Montauk to see if I can get some blues.  (these are all 1st time catching these species for me btw) When we arrived in Montauk we fished Turtle Cove and got into some blue action right away.  That was a blast!  I met an Old Salt named Barry, he said he sold belts and bags called Rockhopper...man we chatted for like a hour.  It's really cool to listen to these old salts and the great stories they have.  I wish I could have stayed longer but the guy that was taking me around had to get to work, so my trip to Montauk only lasted 4hrs.  I got bit by the bug........I am headed back Oct 12-16 without family and bringing just my gear/rods/tackle.   I am meeting up with some friends there who are going a week before me but what I wanted to know is what is the best way to get to Montauk ( easy on the wallet also..lol)  from JFK?   I believe I am taking the train from the airport that takes you to the connecting subway to Jamaica Station and from there I am taking a train to Montauk but heard there is construction going on the rail road so the last 2 stops I have to take a bus?    Keep in mind i will have my rod tube with me, a bag just for tackle/gear, another bag for clothes, and a backpack for misc stuff.  Just want to make sure I get on the right trains, and dont end up somewhere else...lol   Any tips or info would be much appreciated.......hopefully I can land some more fish on my lures again...here some pics of my last trip. 

8B8427CD-7FC6-448D-AB4D-A65330A69108.jpeg

934D81B7-4B17-4E4F-9AD2-17EAC527C386.jpeg

6937DC30-285F-48A2-BA3F-8E0E174E7C87.jpeg

963121CC-203B-4BDD-BB63-F21F7B4C09B1.jpeg

You can also take the "A" train (subway) from JFK/Howard Beach into the city then take the Hampton Jitney to Montauk. Bit more time consuming and the subway might not be the best choice during rush hour or if you have a lot of luggage.  You'd have to check the jitney website for the schedule and to reserve a seat.  

37 minutes ago, blastwater said:

You can also take the "A" train (subway) from JFK/Howard Beach into the city then take the Hampton Jitney to Montauk. Bit more time consuming and the subway might not be the best choice during rush hour or if you have a lot of luggage.  You'd have to check the jitney website for the schedule and to reserve a seat.  

Ok thanks for the info, ill look into the Hampton Jitney. 

That's a good thing! Check out the Hampton Jitney's website for schedules and pricing along with checking if the rod tube will fit on d bus. Round trip is cheaper and they will drop you in Montauk.

IN FAVOR OF COMMERCIAL FISHING AND SURFING THE NORTH SIDE

MAY THE RICH GET RICHER!!

FISH ARE FOOD!!

UA MAU KA EA O KA AINA IKA PONO O HAWAII

Agreed jitney is the way to go, you can bring pretty much as much stuff as you want as they always have tons of storage (people bring their bikes).  I would also suggest you look up the Ambassador Jitney.  Same company, drop off points etc - it's $10-$15 more expensive but muuuuuch nicer.  Pay the $5 extra for seat reservation. Singles on the right are the way to go.  Ask me how I know?? Lol. Take an Uber from the airport to the 'airport connect' pickup.

btw, do you have any idea how rare it is to catch an albie in Montauk from the beach/jetty?

Just now, brushfly said:

I'll take a guess that's not the Montauk Jetty. 

Maybe not.... but a couple weeks ago, for several days in a row, the albies were all over the inlet.  Guys we're catching them inside the inlet. Albies pushing bait right up on the side of the inlet. Lots of guys standing on the jetty caught. Go look over on the fly fishing board, some knucklehead posted pictures.

He mentioned he caught it before venturing to MTK :) That one pole behind his pic doesn't connect with the light/buoy infrastructure out there as well.

Oh I've seen it happen first hand on the MTK jetties. I even had a little go to bass spot at first light that use to fish well in that immediate area. 

Yeah the Albies were caught at a different location that we fished in the Am.  Thanks for the info everyone that commented.  I am going to take a uber to the hapton jitney station then to Montauk I go.  Really looking forward to putting in some hard fishing in this time. It would be nice if i can top my personal best striper with a East Coast specimen