November back bay stripers

Rate this topic

brentwayne

Hey guys,

planning a trip on my new to me this year 17' Montauk with a few friends in November. Planning on fishing clam with chum and wondering what the best tides would be. I was thinking fishing from the top of outgoing would pull in fish but would the incomming be better?  Right now I have an early high tide with outgoing being through the morning scheduled. Should i postpone until the next week with an early afternoon high and fish the morning incoming?  what's your favorite tide to fish in the fall when clamming?

thanks in advance. 

Brent

Edited by brentwayne

Totally dependent on spot.  Some spots will fish better on incoming, some outgoing.  And when I say a spot, I don't mean "X" bay, I mean one piece of structure within that bay.  Tell us more about the location.  Ultimately, if you haven't fished there before you're going to need to do some trial and error.  When I think of November back bay fishing, I think I'd have a lot more fun throwing lures or a fly rod.  I see in your pic the fly rod so.....

Thanks for the reply. I am fishing behind either avalon, stone harbor or wildwood. I am new to the boat game so I guess I will need to search around for some structure. Unfortunately, being on a 17' boat with 4 guys limits me to bait and wait. yes if it was only 2 of us but would not be a good idea with 4- gonna be tight as it is.  

The bait movement should really get going by this weekend if it has not already.  By Nov majority of the food source has moved out.  Spearing, Mullet, Peanut Bunker etc. are thru the inlet and out front.   If you can fish along sod banks try drifting eels.   

"I was a waste of time dumbasses"  Sevenxseventy1

My experiences where I fish may differ slightly from your area waters but I suspect it's fairly similar.  I should have noted drifting the outgoing in the evening is preferred.  Definitely check in with your local shop that you're buying the bait from.  :th: 

"I was a waste of time dumbasses"  Sevenxseventy1

Thanks John P.  I think I am changing up my tactics...  I am thinking of hitting up the sods at the incoming early morning with subsurface/topwater baits and having 2 guys casting.  Play the clam game in the later morning through the outgoing, top water at sunset ( mid-incoming) and eels at night.  Probably not all in the same day, but over a couple of days...  Might as well mix it up.

36 minutes ago, brentwayne said:

Thanks John P.  I think I am changing up my tactics...  I am thinking of hitting up the sods at the incoming early morning with subsurface/topwater baits and having 2 guys casting.  Play the clam game in the later morning through the outgoing, top water at sunset ( mid-incoming) and eels at night.  Probably not all in the same day, but over a couple of days...  Might as well mix it up.

I like that strategy and employ it often on my 17' CC. If my crew are experienced casters I might keep one behind me and two on the bow, synchronizing their casts up there where they never throw at the same time. Then when Hi Sun hits, we sometimes will either live line bunker should they be around or move out to blackfish. That being said, there are days when blues/ bass will readily take lures into hi sun or throughout the day. Backwater two weeks ago on that really HOT weekend, took some friends who are non-fishers out for a few casts and swimming and low and behold came across a keeper bass at 2:30 in the afternoon, sitting in 5' of water off some eel grass. Had a few that day a bit smaller. Have fun and good luck with your boat!

On 10/5/2017 at 11:19 AM, brentwayne said:

Can you run at night?

thats when I do majority of damage back bay Nov stripers. 

I have not, but plan on it.  I was thinking drifting some eels around a few bridges and through the inlet at night...  If the drift doesn't work, I can always anchor upside of a bridge and drift them back...  What are your favorite night time tactics?

4 hours ago, brentwayne said:

I have not, but plan on it.  I was thinking drifting some eels around a few bridges and through the inlet at night...  If the drift doesn't work, I can always anchor upside of a bridge and drift them back...  What are your favorite night time tactics?

Sounds nuts but my MO when boating back bays is to anchor in shallow water then I jump out in waders to fish cuts, rips, eddies etc. mostly fly fish but sometimes darters, large swimmers

Especially late into Nov and early December. 

Always a pain though, the Dockmaster is up my ass to get the boat out, they turn the water off, wife wants me to put up Christmas decorations....

but if iyou've got live eels that's a good idea too

Or maybe sone white swim sheds around the lights of the bridges. 

November around some structure at night with some light can produce big time. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise 

-Hey dumbass it's not about a kill or no kill tournament, it's about how much your 2nd favorite club can mug you! That's it...

-the reports thread is the yenta section for NJ..  

-If’n ya cut yer teeth on Ava and teaser fishing please take a seat in the back and keep quite… 

-is monkey see monkey do fishing even fun..?? 
-yes I still fish with mono..  On occasion 

Thanks gully. So the issue I see is the water temps are still going to be really warm for November 2/3/4th which is my weekend. I do plan in trying to anchor up about 30-40' outside of a bridge shadow and drift some eels back to the bridge. Hoping it will produce.  If not, i will pull anchor and drift.