Big Will

Delaware river stripers

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I just recently moved from jersey to Philadelphia. It sucks because I'm a little farther from the shore but I live very close to the Delaware. I saw a thread on this forum earlier in the year but figured Instead of hijacking the thread id start a new one. I've fished this river a few times in a spot that was known to produce it was south of the Walt Whitman. I didn't catch anything but apparently I missed a good day of multiple 30s and 40s from that spot however that was years ago. Has anyone had luck on this river in the spring? What techniques do you use and where do you fish? I'm not asking for specific spots but general areas for example do you fish from Trenton down to tacony, Philadelphia area, or south of Walt Whitman closer to the bay. I was thinking bunker heads and chunks but have heard of other techniques as well. And im talking from shore not boat. 

Edited by Big Will

I am by no means an expert on this. I fish above N.E. Philly some in

the spring. Since the end of being able to use herring, i honestly dont

put in much time anymore. The bloodworm  thing aggravates me.

Cost and availability. Size. I would suggest loading up and freezing

bunker you get this fall.

4 minutes ago, yosco said:

I am by no means an expert on this. I fish above N.E. Philly some in

the spring. Since the end of being able to use herring, i honestly dont

put in much time anymore. The bloodworm  thing aggravates me.

Cost and availability. Size. I would suggest loading up and freezing

bunker you get this fall.

I've never had a problem getting fresh bunker in the spring. Bloodworms seem pointless to me never was much of a fan of them. And what do you mean you can't use herring?

I believe he is referring to the fact that herring are protected.  Earliest fish will be taken on bloodworms then bunker starts to account for the majority of fish.  Heads are my favorite cut but you have to rig them right to keep them from spinning underwater.  Try google maps- look for areas of deeper water close to shore, creek mouths, shoaling near shore, etc.

1 hour ago, sbcbmx112 said:

I believe he is referring to the fact that herring are protected.  Earliest fish will be taken on bloodworms then bunker starts to account for the majority of fish.  Heads are my favorite cut but you have to rig them right to keep them from spinning underwater.  Try google maps- look for areas of deeper water close to shore, creek mouths, shoaling near shore, etc.

I'm assuming you have to get your bait pretty far out right? Or do they come close to shore 

Correct, no harvest of herring. In the area i fished it seemed most fish were

caught casting out to the channel. But then again, just about everyone at that

spot was throwing as far as possible. Ive seen and caught plenty in close.

FWIW, a few years ago I kept some shad i had caught up river. Kept them fresh

and cool. Used them four days in a row and never got a bump. Guys around me

were picking up fish on bloods.

On 9/27/2017 at 10:46 AM, Big Will said:

I'm assuming you have to get your bait pretty far out right? Or do they come close to shore 

Depends.  Often deeper is better but I'd caught in a few feet of water as well.

Spring striper in the Delaware river is very underrated in my opinion. In the spring striper all shapes and sizes migrate their way up the river. Many of these fish are giants. Up north of Trenton there are resident striper 12"-30" all year round.The issue you may run into a lack of area to fish from shore down by the Walt Whitman. Boat guys do very very well and shore guys also do very will in the right spots. I have noticed bigger fish seem to go after bunker and you will catch many shorts on blood worms. Plugs also work early morning or late at night. I would check out brinkmains bait and tackle. They put up a lot of good reports on their website. Also google maps is the best thing to try and find spots.

I cross the Delaware on a train every workday.  They might be safe to eat north of Trenton, but I wouldn't eat any caught in the Delaware that have been swimming around the Ben Franklin Bridge.