Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim DE

Blackbeard

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I just saw this in another thread that Neil MacKellow passed July 28th in Cyprus. I knew he was ill with Alzheimer's and we had talked about his move to Cyprus to retire but we had drifted apart with our communications the past few years. I met him in Philly one night and we had dinner and talked for hours about distance casting and fishing and I will always remember that night. Over the years we communicated back and forth while he was with Penn UK and became good friends.  God Bless you Neil and my prayers go out to your family and friends (I know you had many all around the world)!

Edited by Jim DE

Met Neil at a casting clinic put on by the Capitol Longcasters at Ommelanden Range in Wilmington years ago.  I had read somewhere that he once made a cast with a reel taped to a broom stick and hit something like 400+.  At the class, I remember Neil had several rods, one of them was a three piece rod, forget the make; but my gosh...  When he stepped into a cast, you could hear was the "woosh" of the rod tip as he turned and sent that baseball down range.  And he did it all so effortlessly...

He was an excellent instructor; and, his English attitude and accent made a good class into a truly memorable one.  I remember on the second day that he was talking to us about cleaning and oiling our reels.  What we call paper towels, he called "kitchen roll".  Neil sprinkled those English phrases throughout the class...  We'd all have a good chuckle every time he introduced another one of those phrases! 

Rest in peace Neil; and, thank you for education and experience.

That's sad but thank you for letting us know, Jim :(

Never met Neil but he was an member here very early on and a very nice guy. Knowledgeable and helpful...and always a gentleman...RIP Neil.....

TimS

That class was when Hoss was still alive too wasn't it? Hoss would tell a story of Neil on a field with a 50 gallon drum down several hundred yards and Neil dropped his weight right into it on a cast.  I truly liked Neil .... and for that matter ole Hoss

Blackbeard sent me a free video of his distance casting instruction one time. Sorry to hear that the gentleman has passed on. RIP Blackbeard.